OceansBetweenUs
UG Board King
1,000 IQ
So I wanna upgrade my amp - my budge is going to be left at 'reasonable for a poor person who works full time.'

I have a Spider 2x12 + 4 button switch/volume pedal to trade in/sell as well.

Looking for a tube 1x12 or 2x12 combo - but a head isn't unlikely either seeing as I have a band I'm going to be practicing with that has a 4x12 I can borrow. Size isn't really an issue - I just need something to be able to practice in my room w/ and practice w/ a full band.

I mostly play post-hardcore, metal, and metalcore stuff. Think Alexisonfire, Underoath, As I Lay Dying, Coheed, and some Bodom and stuff.
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
I guess the most obvious suggestion would be a Peavey 6505 combo.

You could also check out some Bugera amps as they make affordable clones of famous amps. I'm not quite familiar with the brand from a hands-on perspective but from what I hear, some models could be worth looking into.

Not really a combo but you could check out the Krank Rev Jr. 50 head.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Grimpond
Frozen my Heart
107 IQ
The 6505 1x12 will nail that and its a great value
Os Abysmi Vel Daath
OceansBetweenUs
UG Board King
1,000 IQ
How many channels are on the 6505? I'm looking preferably for 1 clean, 1 crunch, 1 hi-gain, or someething similar.
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
How many channels are on the 6505? I'm looking preferably for 1 clean, 1 crunch, 1 hi-gain, or someething similar.

It's a 2 channel amp. Do you really need 3? You have a volume knob on the guitar right?
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Grimpond
Frozen my Heart
107 IQ
The 6505 is 2 channel, rhythm and lead, with tweaking it is possible to get a usable clean from the rhythm channel, and it has a crunch switch
Os Abysmi Vel Daath
Matt Chavie
aspiring breakdancer...
2,648 IQ
You posted in the 'Electric Guitar' section. An amp is not a guitar.

You wanted 'Guitar Gear & Accessories' located a few sections down.

Thanks.
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
Quote by Matt Chavie
You posted in the 'Electric Guitar' section. An amp is not a guitar.

You wanted 'Guitar Gear & Accessories' located a few sections down.

Thanks.

Good on you for pointing that out, but next time try to add something productive.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
OceansBetweenUs
UG Board King
1,000 IQ
3 channels is so a necesity, otherwise I have to invest in oodles of effects (which I'm doing now anyway).

So I guess you set the rythm into a clean channel, have an OD pedal, and the lead channel as your hi-gain. Sound about right?

Asking a lot of questions because I don't have any of these near me - would have to order it, maybe even used. Found a combo that got turned into a 60 watt head online for about $400 (ebay)
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
3 channels is so a necesity, otherwise I have to invest in oodles of effects (which I'm doing now anyway).

So I guess you set the rythm into a clean channel, have an OD pedal, and the lead channel as your hi-gain. Sound about right?

Asking a lot of questions because I don't have any of these near me - would have to order it, maybe even used. Found a combo that got turned into a 60 watt head online for about $400 (ebay)

Or you could have 2 channels (the most you EVER need), set the clean/crunch channel to crunch and have your other channel as lead and when you need a cleaner sound, you ROLL your volume down.

It works and you'll thank me when you don't waste your money on an effects riddled 3-channel POS amp that you don't need. Especially on a budget, you're going to have a hard time finding a decent 3 channel amp.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
jpatan
UG's only REAL Llama
1,736 IQ
Yeah, this belongs in GG&A, but you can find a used 6505+ combo on the cheap. There's two collecting dust in my local GC right now for like $450. Can probably find one on CL even cheaper. Probably gonna be about the best bang for your buck.

There's also the Carvin V3m... $600 brand new, very portable, 3 channels. Not gonna be ideal for everyone, but a lot of people love the V3. A lot of people also dislike the V3
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
OceansBetweenUs
UG Board King
1,000 IQ
Quote by jpatan
Yeah, this belongs in GG&A, but you can find a used 6505+ combo on the cheap. There's two collecting dust in my local GC right now for like $450. Can probably find one on CL even cheaper. Probably gonna be about the best bang for your buck.

There's also the Carvin V3m... $600 brand new, very portable, 3 channels. Not gonna be ideal for everyone, but a lot of people love the V3. A lot of people also dislike the V3

Blah I wish dude. Can't find any on CL for less than $450 - I'd snap one up w/ a footpedal for $400. It's $600 new - I think thats pretty fair.
jpatan
UG's only REAL Llama
1,736 IQ
What's your budget? Aside from "as cheap as possible" lol
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
OceansBetweenUs
UG Board King
1,000 IQ
Well seeing as I just spent ~$800 on guitar stuff in the past 2 weeks - I have a Line6 Spider III 2x12 + footswitch to sell (probably $200) and 200-300. so $500 lets say. erring on the cheaper end of that.

I like the 6505 idea so far because I would be extremely tempted to turn that into a head unit later on.

EDIT: My purchases have been:
EC-1000 Setup - $50
Epi LP Custom - $350
EMG 81/85 - $150
3x Custom Guage DR Strings - $20
Boss TU-2 - $60
Boss NS-2 - $50 (working this one out now)
Boss SD-1 - $39
Patch Cables - $15
MXR EQ - $65 (working this one out now)
New 21' Cable - $15

and finally - trading in both Schecters + some cash for a used Epi Prophecy EX at guitar center this weekend
Last edited by OceansBetweenUs at Mar 10, 2011,