Poll: Would you be willing to change your user title to 'Feminist' temporarily?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you be willing to change your user title to 'Feminist' temporarily?
Yes
127 22%
No
461 78%
Voters: 588.
Page 5 of 95
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I believe in equality amongst all genders, but I refuse to label myself a feminist. Not for the actual definition, but because of the stereotypes associated with the label and most of the people I've talked to who label themselves as such. It is the same reason I don't label myself an anarchist or a libertarian even though I subscribe to that ideology.

That's the point of this! To broaden the view of the term so we don't all just assume that 'feminist' means 'crazy idiot'. You're a feminist, whether you subscribe to the term or not. Why not help people be more open-minded about it by being a sensible example model.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
No absolutely, and there are some countries that institute a nice hefty leaving period for both the mother and father. I'm totally for that. It should affect both parties unless the dad is just not very thoughtful. I meant more along the times before the baby is born when the woman is more likely to need the leave but not the dad as much.

That's what I was saying.

Say two months to one month before birth, the woman will probably need leave. Baby is born, woman recovers while caring for the baby directly after it's born (The woman will have the advantage in this stage most likely), once she's recovered she can return to work while the man takes leave for an equal time. It's economical for the couple, involves each parent, and is equal in the treatment in terms of gender.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Dirk Gently
I'm for equal rights and equal pay and all that, but obviously the whole idea of sex and gender is much more complicated than that. For example, in jobs that require a certain amount of physical exertion, such as firefighter or paramedic, I don't agree with reducing strength standards, for example, to make those type of jobs more accessible to women.

On the flip side, I'll always be more than a little suspicious about guys who want to work with children.

We discussed this earlier, but in issues like that it's all the more reason to ignore gender. If a person, male or female, is weaker, they shouldn't have the job that requires strength. I don't think any of us are trying to argue that there aren't different physical limitations to either gender.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I will join this movement, for two main reasons:

1. My mom pays the bills at my house, not my father

and

2. Vintage X Metal is pretty damned cool.
What's the point of living if you're not living a dream?
Quote by vintage x metal
We discussed this earlier, but in issues like that it's all the more reason to ignore gender. If a person, male or female, is weaker, they shouldn't have the job that requires strength. I don't think any of us are trying to argue that there aren't different physical limitations to either gender.

I agree. Equal rights, equal pay, equal work, equal standards.

No exceptions.
Quote by BladeSlinger
That doesn't mean men aren't able to be the main parent and take leave because of that. Why does the women have to be stuck with the kid all the time and why is it strange for a man wanting to leave work temporarily to care for his child? It's unfair to both. A burden to the woman and almost an insult to the man saying he isn't fit for such a job. It would be more economical for the woman to have a brief leave while the man worked then the man leave once the woman recovers until they can find an alternative to leaving work.

Sorry to burst your bubble, Peter, but men can't breastfeed...
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Quote by vintage x metal
That's the point of this! To broaden the view of the term so we don't all just assume that 'feminist' means 'crazy idiot'. You're a feminist, whether you subscribe to the term or not. Why not help people be more open-minded about it by being a sensible example model.

I'd rather people just say that they believe in equality amongst all genders. It certainly isn't very difficult and it is a lot clearer and to the point. When I say I'm a feminist, people are immediately going to assume that I want male and female to be equal. It feels like I'm leaving people out.
Quote by Grimriffer

Breastpumps and bottles solve that issue quite nicely.
Quote by BladeSlinger
That's what I was saying.

Say two months to one month before birth, the woman will probably need leave. Baby is born, woman recovers while caring for the baby directly after it's born (The woman will have the advantage in this stage most likely), once she's recovered she can return to work while the man takes leave for an equal time. It's economical for the couple, involves each parent, and is equal in the treatment in terms of gender.

Want to run a country together?
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by Grimriffer

Sorry to bring you back to reality but a shitload of women don't breastfeed. This thing called science. Crazy stuff.

EDIT:^I'll pass on that. There's no free area anyway.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I'd rather people just say that they believe in equality amongst all genders. It certainly isn't very difficult and it is a lot clearer and to the point. When I say I'm a feminist, people are immediately going to assume that I want male and female to be equal. It feels like I'm leaving people out.

That's the point Unfortunately the term 'feminist' is already established when it is very loaded. However the whole point of this thread and user title change is to help open people's eyes and realize that feminism is about gender equality on all levels, men and women and transgenders and anything else you can think of. It's to help lift the stigma. Ideally there would be no need for a word but the term is only meant to represent a movement which you are for. Like I said, i'm not for labels either, but since it's already established, why not help out?
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by IdkWhatImDoing
This x100000.

This is very true for people who use the word to label themselves. Usually people who are sensible don't use it. And I guess that's the point of this thread.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by vintage x metal
That's the point Unfortunately the term 'feminist' is already established when it is very loaded. However the whole point of this thread and user title change is to help open people's eyes and realize that feminism is about gender equality on all levels, men and women and transgenders and anything else you can think of. It's to help lift the stigma. Ideally there would be no need for a word but the term is only meant to represent a movement which you are for. Like I said, i'm not for labels either, but since it's already established, why not help out?

I'll throw around the fact that I'm a feminist when it comes up in real life/on the internet, but I'm not really too keen on changing my usertitle for anything. You have a point though.
Put me on the list dude!
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Fender Standard Telecaster HH Black (SH-5/'59)
-Fender Standard Stratocaster HH White (Nazgul/'59)
-Austin Guitars Les Paul Goldtop Copy (Distortion/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+
-Peavey Stereo Chorus 2x12 Combo
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo
-Marshall MX2x12 Cabinet

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
^ Slapped you on there hombre! Sorry for the miss

Quote by Thrashtastic15
I'll throw around the fact that I'm a feminist when it comes up in real life/on the internet, but I'm not really too keen on changing my usertitle for anything. You have a point though.

Pleeeease?
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I agree with many of the sentiments of the less aggressive man-hating feminists, but I'd never call myself one. To me, the whole concept of building a social movement around equality specifically for a certain group is absurd. Why not just claim you support equality?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart
I agree with many of the sentiments of the less aggressive man-hating feminists, but I'd never call myself one. To me, the whole concept of building a social movement around equality specifically for a certain group is absurd. Why not just claim you support equality?

It's not equality for any certain group, it's just addressing issues of gender, man woman transgender etc. Naturally w should think of it in all ways but when we talk about particular issues, this is simply a term for it. It's not meant to imply that it is what should be focused on specifically, and if you look critically into gender studies almost all universities will subscribe to a program that encompasses race and other issues as well. They fundamentally cannot be separated.
The whole point of this thread is simply to make the term 'feminist' less scary and show some users who have misconstrued the movement that your average young adult dude can be call himself a feminist and have it mean that he supports equal rights for genders. All I am trying to do is break the crazy dyke image. I think you should totally hop in with us.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by IdkWhatImDoing
Am I the only one who sees vintage x metal is lying to try to get more people to join her organization? All feminists are man hating psychos.

Maybe people are just tired of the overwhelming amount of ignorance people have toward feminism. How many feminists have you actually met?
Quote by IdkWhatImDoing
Am I the only one who sees vintage x metal is lying to try to get more people to join her organization? All feminists are man hating psychos.

Best be trollin'.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by vintage x metal
It's not equality for any certain group, it's just addressing issues of gender, man woman transgender etc. Naturally w should think of it in all ways but when we talk about particular issues, this is simply a term for it. It's not meant to imply that it is what should be focused on specifically, and if you look critically into gender studies almost all universities will subscribe to a program that encompasses race and other issues as well. They fundamentally cannot be separated.
The whole point of this thread is simply to make the term 'feminist' less scary and show some users who have misconstrued the movement that your average young adult dude can be call himself a feminist and have it mean that he supports equal rights for genders. All I am trying to do is break the crazy dyke image. I think you should totally hop in with us.

By all means I support your campaign, if one might so bold as to label it such. I think the problem with feminism lies within the way some of its followers arranges themselves and act. It's a social movement that began, and is still followed, with the right intentions, but the problem is that the movement is altogether to multifarious.

However, that aside, I'll put something in my signature.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I might throw it in my sig.

Do it!

Quote by IdkWhatImDoing

Lololol I may be the ultimate troll, this is true, but you have quite the reputation for that already in the Drug Thread

Quote by Todd Hart
By all means I support your campaign, if one might so bold as to label it such. I think the problem with feminism lies within the way some of its followers arranges themselves and act. It's a social movement that began, and is still followed, with the right intentions, but the problem is that the movement is altogether to multifarious.

However, that aside, I'll put something in my signature.

Yay thanks a bunch!
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

^ attaboy
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
Do it!

Lololol I may be the ultimate troll, this is true, but you have quite the reputation for that already in the Drug Thread

Yay thanks a bunch!

Apparently he's quite inquisitive. He had a big run of questions in the Sex Thread. Sex and drugs on a guitar forum, I can't say it's peculiar. And nothing wrong with questions I guess.

I'm definitely a feminist. I think women should be able to make sandwiches and eat them too. Eat them outside of the kitchen, among company. I'm pretty radical.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I'm all for equality. Women can have equally fulfilling lives in the kitchen.

But seriously, if the goal of feminism is equality, why is it called feminism as opposed to equalism? Isn't that a bit sexist? (That's a rhetorical question-- please don't give me a history lesson on the origins of the word and the feminist movement.) The term feminist, as opposed to equalist, implies that the goal is for females to assert power, and not to obtain true equality. So no, I will not change my title.
Quote by Kumanji
I am feminist in all of my actions. I need no pathetic user title to confirm my status. Deeds, not words!

hey hey hey this isn't about the individual here. The whole point of this was to show that average guys can be feminists, not exclusively crazy dyke ladies who bumble as idiots. Nothing wrong with masculine type lesbians of course But I'm tired of people giving feminism a bad name and it having such a narrow representation. This isn't about self-proclomation, it's about opening the minds in UG and hopefully in turn the rest of the world... The movement requires some kind of visual to spread to help get people curious and thinking critically about the issue.

in other words stfu
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Doesn't the very movement of "feminism" separate males and females? By saying you need to improve on a groups rights, your separating that group from others. Seems very redundant to me.

Maybe its that I look at people equally to begin with so this all seems a bit odd to me.

(I also support anyone who feels they aren't treated fair, I just feel how many are going about it is counterproductive, or if they try to belittle another group in the process.)
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
Grace the whole point of this title change is to help disspell some of the myths about feminism. I agree that the word is very loaded and it's an unfortunate circumstance but regardless, it doesn't define the intentions of the movement, and I think it's a good cause to try and get people to open their eyes despite what the name might imply.

Quote by Kumanji

pulling your leg, sweetie
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by Sinister Waffle
Doesn't the very movement of "feminism" separate males and females? By saying you need to improve on a groups rights, your separating that group from others. Seems very redundant to me.

Maybe its that I look at people equally to begin with so this all seems a bit odd to me.

(I also support anyone who feels they aren't treated fair, I just feel how many are going about it is counterproductive, or if they try to belittle another group in the process.)

It's not as if feminist are perpetrating that separation - men and women are treated differently by society already, and it blunts our message not to examine that. Refusing to acknowledge the existing differences between men and women basically reduces feminism to hippieism, with no scope for a material, political programme of action. Hence I think it's entirely appropriate to talk of feminism as liberating women from patriarchal society rather than some utopian idea of immediate and complete equality.
All the cool kids are doing it, I'm in.
Without a good harmonic knowledge, one cannot expect to become a great jazz soloist ~ Horace Silver

Quote by dietermoreno
Is it possible for 6 string guitar to tune lower than drop C and scales still work?
feminism lol
Quote by Snuffles
You are an absolute god, offspring_punk

Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
It's annoying when you go into a thread with the intention of arguing with everyone then read the posts to find you actually agree.

Bloody feminists.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
If a feminist is somebody who believes in equal rights regardless of gender, why is it given the condescending term "feminism" that implies the problem is one which only effects women? All those men whose lives were pissed away during conscription for various wars are hardly people who were given equal opportunities. Just saying.