Page 4 of 538
Just got back from a workout, time for some shrimp burritos since I wasn't able to eat all day due to work.

Also, I got some almonds today on the way to work as a snack. I hadn't eaten almonds in a long time, and now I can see where dready is coming from.

They are quite woody, aren't they?
Yeah I for one am damn sick of eating almonds. Subbing in something slightly less healthy soon.
Quote by CG Man16
Holy shit, they are really expensive. 200+ dollars my ass

I'm not very handy, so I'm sure I'd screw it up if I tried to make one.

What do you need it for?

Also, anyone got any tips for going ottermode?
Last edited by Cianyx at Mar 16, 2011,
shrimp burrito? Why? Or do you mean those fat vietnamese roll things?

apparantly, a traditional food in my home country of taiwan is fat deep fried with even more fat, i would totally eat a half pound or so of that a day if they sold it here
Quote by piratemetalhead
shrimp burrito? Why? Or do you mean those fat vietnamese roll things?

apparantly, a traditional food in my home country of taiwan is fat deep fried with even more fat, i would totally eat a half pound or so of that a day if they sold it here

No, I mean a burrito. Whatchoo got against shrimp, man?
just thought shrimp would taste funny with cheese and stuff, nothing against seafood

what kind of meat has the most protein do you guys think? I've heard horse, but im not totally sure if its easy to find
Quote by Cianyx
What do you need it for?

Also, anyone got any tips for going ottermode?

Running, explosive stuff, etc...

I don't like doing it with a weighted backpack cause it throws off my balance.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Quote by piratemetalhead
no fat burning for me, i actually kind of want to be a chode

ostritch sounds like it could be good though...

Nothing more alpha than hunting a herd of bison with your bare hands. Let's do this
So I'm going back to karate in about 6-8 weeks and I think it's time to focus more on conditioning so I'm ready to go back. I've been doing some conditioning and low intensity cardio for months but I haven't done that much because I've been focusing on strength. I'm thinking about 2 brief conditioning sessions a week using bodyweight exercises and medicine ball exercises, some kettlebell training and some sprinting. Anybody have experience or opinions on the best way to get your conditioning up?
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Quote by Baba O'Riley
So I'm going back to karate in about 6-8 weeks and I think it's time to focus more on conditioning so I'm ready to go back. I've been doing some conditioning and low intensity cardio for months but I haven't done that much because I've been focusing on strength. I'm thinking about 2 brief conditioning sessions a week using bodyweight exercises and medicine ball exercises, some kettlebell training and some sprinting. Anybody have experience or opinions on the best way to get your conditioning up?

My friend is the Scottish junior national champion. From what I've seen, he does a lot of kettlebell work, bag work and cleans.
◙▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
      ◂◂  ►  ▐ ▌  ◼  ▸▸

Haters gonna hate
Well just got back from my body comp after 5 weeks with a personal trainer given program. I lost 3 pounds of fat (15 to 13%) and gained one pound of muscle (could be waterweight, but my weight fluctuates a lot, and today it was quite low at 147).

While not horrible, I obviously would like to have gone up 2 pounds. I didn't do any insane bulking, around 2200-2300 calories, being that my bmr is around 1800 kcal. From my experience, I just get kind of fat if I eat too more (3 pounds in a week after a 3000 kcal diet).

My perfect goal would be 160 with 8% (currently 149). But at the same time, I hate feeling "pudgy" , so I really feel like just cutting down my fat. Is it possible that after I go through my cutting phase, if I have a near-perfect diet, to gain 1.5-2 lbs a month without too much fat gain? Or should I just man up and eat like a ****er again? (last semester I gained around 15 pounds, from 140-155 (20%), then cut to 150).
Quote by kadinh
gotcha. for some reason i read "dextrose" and thought "why do you want it so sweet if you have the banana already", but then i thought about it and rethought my reason, and figured it was to get more carbs.

Heh yeah, luckily it's not so sweet. I can't stand overly sweet things, being an old man and all.

Quote by CoreysMonster
No, I mean a burrito. Whatchoo got against shrimp, man?

Shrimp is nice. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I've been soda-sober for like half a year and yesterday was the first time in a long time I've had a mountain dew (it was a throwback) Mountain Dew Throwback is made with "real sugar" instead of corn syrup and it has something about the caffine too. Does this make it healthier?

I lost 20 pounds If i could lose antoher 10 I would be down to my goal. Is this realistic to lose before summer? Any tips on getting rid fo the last ten?

I had another question about nutrition but I forgot...
Nah, sugar is sugar. You can definitely loose the weight, just have to work hard.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Healthier or not, it's still unhealthy. As for your question about goal, yes it's possible and realistic.
Kensai, I 've been wanting to ask, what are the protein recommendations in Europe?

Cause if you ask around here, you get broscience 1.5-2 per lbs, while in my nutrition class, it says .8 per kg if you are a normal person, 1.5-2 per kg if you are working out. I clearly believe the actual science answer, and I wonder if there was simply something lost in translation or if its straight up a marketing ploy by supplement companies (more likely).
Not a clue, I don't even know how much I'm taking in myself. A lot is my guess.
Quote by IdkWhatImDoing
I've been soda-sober for like half a year and yesterday was the first time in a long time I've had a mountain dew (it was a throwback) Mountain Dew Throwback is made with "real sugar" instead of corn syrup and it has something about the caffine too. Does this make it healthier?

"Real sugar" is better than HFCS if you're comparing the two side by side. There are tests showing that rats (IIRC) having a diet of (1)pure sugar and (2)pure HFCS, the group taking the HFCS gained more fat than the pure sugar group.

that being said, just bc it has "real sugar" instead of HFCS doesnt make it better or healthier. Someone here said the example 2 exercise threads ago: would you rather be hit in the face by Mohammad Ali or Evander Hollifield? Both are going to hurt, even though one might be more forceful that the other.

in short, the answer to your question is no, it's not healthier, it's just as bad. but HFCS is worse

I lost 20 pounds If i could lose antoher 10 I would be down to my goal. Is this realistic to lose before summer? Any tips on getting rid fo the last ten?

I think 10lbs in 3 months is reasonable. Tips? stay away from "real sugar" mountain dew and don't try to take shortcuts.

I had another question about nutrition but I forgot...

thats not the way I remember it, but I could be wrong.
יהוה

[][]
/ \

Quote by sinisa

How about actually doing something rather than asking everyone here questions?
Quote by Alexander_BR

while in my nutrition class

is your nutrition class aiming for a sedentary individual, or one who has body building goals in mind?

and the USDA/FDA thinking of ample protein intake is grossly underrated. you have to give your body enough fuel and building blocks according to your training goals.
יהוה

[][]
/ \

Quote by sinisa

so how bad is beef jerky for you?
not talking store bought, super salty packaged stuff.
i work at a butcher shop, so we made a batch of our own.
its just nice lean beaf dehydrated with seasoning and spices.
Curious as if i can eat it as a snack/source of protein while cutting.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
not bad at all!!!

eat that stuff up!
יהוה

[][]
/ \

Quote by sinisa

Quote by kadinh
"Real sugar" is better than HFCS if you're comparing the two side by side. There are tests showing that rats (IIRC) having a diet of (1)pure sugar and (2)pure HFCS, the group taking the HFCS gained more fat than the pure sugar group.

that being said, just bc it has "real sugar" instead of HFCS doesnt make it better or healthier. Someone here said the example 2 exercise threads ago: would you rather be hit in the face by Mohammad Ali or Evander Hollifield? Both are going to hurt, even though one might be more forceful that the other.

in short, the answer to your question is no, it's not healthier, it's just as bad. but HFCS is worse

I think 10lbs in 3 months is reasonable. Tips? stay away from "real sugar" mountain dew and don't try to take shortcuts.

thats not the way I remember it, but I could be wrong.

Any exercise suggestions? Ive just been doing some raking and yardwork.
Quote by IdkWhatImDoing
Any exercise suggestions? Ive just been doing some raking and yardwork.

overhead pressing
deadlift
squat
benchpress
rows
pullups
יהוה

[][]
/ \

Quote by sinisa

Quote by kadinh
is your nutrition class aiming for a sedentary individual, or one who has body building goals in mind?

and the USDA/FDA thinking of ample protein intake is grossly underrated. you have to give your body enough fuel and building blocks according to your training goals.

Like I said, .8 g per kg of bodyweight for a normal, relatively healthy individual. For athletes, they recommend 1.5-2 g per kg of bodyweight, more than double.

The issue is that there is this idea that that you need 2 g per lb, which if you do the conversion to kilograms, is insanely high. 300 g of protein for someone weighing 150 pounds? That is 1200 kcal of just protein, around 1/2 of someone with that size daily intake.

And the places where you find this type of information (bb.com, etc) would be the people to profit the most out of this mentality. So it is hard for me to trust profit driver websites over the national standards for your daily RDA.

edit: And I better specify, Science of Nutrition class. It isn't just this is good this is bad, we go through protein breakdown into amino acids, to lypolysis, to the Trycarboxylic Acid cycle, and all that fancy jazz.
Last edited by Alexander_BR at Mar 17, 2011,
Quote by IdkWhatImDoing

Post body measurements, amount of exercise done per week etc.
Quote by Alexander_BR
Like I said, .8 g per kg of bodyweight for a normal, relatively healthy individual. For athletes, they recommend 1.5-2 g per kg of bodyweight, more than double.

The issue is that there is this idea that that you need 2 g per lb, which if you do the conversion to kilograms, is insanely high. 300 g of protein for someone weighing 150 pounds? That is 1200 kcal of just protein, around 1/2 of someone with that size daily intake.

And the places where you find this type of information (bb.com, etc) would be the people to profit the most out of this mentality. So it is hard for me to trust profit driver websites over the national standards for your daily RDA.

edit: And I better specify, Science of Nutrition class. It isn't just this is good this is bad, we go through protein breakdown into amino acids, to lypolysis, to the Trycarboxylic Acid cycle, and all that fancy jazz.

you're over thinking this man. i believe its agreed upon that 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight is just fine.
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.
Quote by frozen_soul
you're over thinking this man. i believe its agreed upon that 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight is just fine.

Yeah that's pretty close to 2 per kg. I just want to know what European gym rats say.
Quote by Alexander_BR

Please don't think that posting that you're studying the TCA cycle "and all that fancy jazz" in your Science of Nutrition class will impress anyone. :/

Now, to be constructive.. 2g/lb is generally considered a fairly substantial amount, I agree... but it's totally possible. Further, your calculations are correct but you make a deadly assumption: being that this is a discussion on muscle building, we need to assume that the prospective muscle-builder is eating above maintenance calories. Your 2400 kcal/day (if "1200 is half") rate is not enough.

If we increase the kcal/day to 3000 or preferably more, we see two things: first, the trainee will gain size & muscle reliably, which is hard to accomplish with only 2400 a day... and second that all of a sudden eating 300g of protein a day isn't so difficult, and even falls within normal protein ratios (1200/3000 = 0.4 or 40% of daily kcal) by many peoples' books.

In the end you need to test things for yourself. Once you've been lifting for a few years, you will understand how much protein you, PERSONALLY, need to take in to continue achieving results. As someone so critical, perhaps you could achieve it more quickly.

re:not trusting supplement sites: oh Lord don't even trust a supp site.
Quote by InTheFlesh!
Please don't think that posting that you're studying the TCA cycle "and all that fancy jazz" in your Science of Nutrition class will impress anyone. :/

Now, to be constructive.. 2g/lb is generally considered a fairly substantial amount, I agree... but it's totally possible. Further, your calculations are correct but you make a deadly assumption: being that this is a discussion on muscle building, we need to assume that the prospective muscle-builder is eating above maintenance calories. Your 2400 kcal/day (if "1200 is half") rate is not enough.

If we increase the kcal/day to 3000 or preferably more, we see two things: first, the trainee will gain size & muscle reliably, which is hard to accomplish with only 2400 a day... and second that all of a sudden eating 300g of protein a day isn't so difficult, and even falls within normal protein ratios (1200/3000 = 0.4 or 40% of daily kcal) by many peoples' books.

In the end you need to test things for yourself. Once you've been lifting for a few years, you will understand how much protein you, PERSONALLY, need to take in to continue achieving results. As someone so critical, perhaps you could achieve it more quickly.

re:not trusting supplement sites: oh Lord don't even trust a supp site.

In retrospect yes that did sound pretentious as ****. That being said, since my maintenance is 1800, 2400 is around recommended amount for a clean bulk.

Anyway, I guess thats it then.
I wasn't trying to step on toes. Just wondering.

IMO, 1-1.5g per lb is good, maybe even 2g/lb depending on the individual. And 0.8g/lb sounds reasonable for a "normal" person.
יהוה

[][]
/ \

Quote by sinisa

your maintenance isn't 1800 at 150 lbs, at least not if you... you know... walk to class... 2400 will never be enough to bulk properly on

edit: assuming you're male
Quote by kadinh
I wasn't trying to step on toes. Just wondering.

IMO, 1-1.5g per lb is good, maybe even 2g/lb depending on the individual. And 0.8g/lb sounds reasonable for a "normal" person.

.8 per kilogram, not pound, for a normal person .8 per lb is already considered enough for bodybuilding depending on the author (Brad Pilon apparently). This is why I am so curious, because it is easy to get confused when converting to metric.
^Ultimately you will have to listen to people who have actually gotten strong and do what it takes to get there and not people who don't know about it. E.g. Rippetoe says to eat 300 grams. And yes, this is geared towards novices who don't weigh that much. Our governments make recommendations to the general population. The general population doesn't bodybuild or strength train so they won't need much.

Also, ****ing squats and wrists. I couldn't get my wrists straight no matter how I tried. I have quite long arms which probably adds to the problem. Maybe there's some inflexibility going on too because it hurt a bit at the back of my shoulder when I tried to get my elbows further back.

I'm bringing wrist wraps next time.
Quote by IdkWhatImDoing
???

If you want to lose weight, ideally, you would want to eat below your maintenance calorie thingy. And this is decided based on your weight, height, age etc.

For example, I'm 6 foot 154 lbs who exercise regularly. Hence I believe my maintenance calorie consumption is about 2300-2600. So, to lose weight, I'd have to consume at around 1600.
Last edited by Cianyx at Mar 17, 2011,
time for debate: what country has the largest percentage of strong, ripped motherfvckers?

i'm betting on russia or mongolia
Quote by piratemetalhead
time for debate: what country has the largest percentage of strong, ripped motherfvckers?

i'm betting on russia or mongolia

I wouldn't be on either of them. All I can say is that in Australia and New Zealand you see more guys who are pretty beefed up compared to the UK.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau