Is there much of a difference between the regular Peavey Vypyr Series and the Peavey Vypyr Tube Series? It was my understanding that they don't have either a full tube pre- or power amp section, so are they even Hybrid? I just wondered if there is an actual tone/volume difference between the two. Are they both equipped with the same effects? I've considered picking one up, but idk if I'm better off to go with the tube or regular version. If I go Tube it would be the 60w and solid state would be the 75w version.

Thanks for any help
heres what a guy on a peavey forum wrote
've got a Tube 60. I tried the 75 and was leaning that way, but my music store let me sign them both out (I'm a good customer) for the evening to try them both out and the Tube definitely cut through better at practice and was more percussive and emotive. If I was just playing at home for a killer practice amp, I'd save the $100 or so and get the 75 since it sounds dang good.

I have a Carvin V3 half stack but I only use that for big shows. The Tube 60 is great. I play in a band that plays everything from B-52s to The Who to Poison and the Tube 60 is great. My typical setting is B-Kat Red with Pre cranked, post on about 60% and the master volume on about 3 or 4 - it's plenty loud. Bass cranked, mid at about 60% and treble at 50%. That's a great snorty mid-pumped rhythm sound. Crispy and sounds great through an SM-57 through the board.
Hybrid just means that they have both SS and valve. The preamp is totally SS so therefore it's a hybrid because it has output tubes.
Vyper Tube is just a trademark name. They aren't trying to say it's a tube amp like some other hybrid makers do. Well, look at it, how could it be an all tube amp? It's a computer with glass globes hanging off it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Hybrid just means that they have both SS and valve. The preamp is totally SS so therefore it's a hybrid because it has output tubes.
Vyper Tube is just a trademark name. They aren't trying to say it's a tube amp like some other hybrid makers do. Well, look at it, how could it be an all tube amp? It's a computer with glass globes hanging off it.

That's what I thought, but I figured I would ask here since there are quite a few individuals who know much more about the inner workings of an amp than I. So, basically, Hybrid means it has tubes, but it doesn't have a full set of tubes in the preamp and/or Power amp section of the amp?
It just means there are both SS and tubes. Any mix is technically a hybrid.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've got the tube 60 I really recommend it. Although some people dislike peavey I love it. Trust me it's going to be way louder than the 75 just because it's tube driven.
Quote by Cathbard

I over reacted yesterday I had a bad day in the real world. The whole consumerism bit just hit me the wrong way.

One of the things that I find annoying is when people try to lump the digital amps (computers) with analog solid state circuits. They aren't even close to being the same thing.

We live in a world that has a lot of very different kinds of amps and effects all of them have a place.

I have strong opinions about tube amp purist IMHO they're well intended but they miss the mark at lower price points.

I do think tube amps are cool alas tube amps and tight budgets just don't go together 90% of the time or more.

For what it's worth I agree with on the topic of hybrid amps.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Last edited by Willowthewitch at Mar 15, 2011,
The Vypyrs are hybrids but are more tube than some other amps, having a tube phase inverter and a tube power section.

It does make a difference, especially the more volume you get, the harder the power section and phase inverter begin to work.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i never understood, why are tube amps way more expensive?
its only because of the cost of tubes right?
Quote by SKArface McDank
i never understood, why are tube amps way more expensive?
its only because of the cost of tubes right?

A number of reasons.

- Cost of parts in general.

- Cost of designing the amp

- Cost of testing, troubleshooting, etc

- 'Premium' for higher quality

But there are SS amps that are just as expensive if not more so than some tube amps, for instance the AxeFX Ultra, Line 6 Vetta, Retro Amps Retro Wreck, Pritchard amps, and so on. It is true that there are way more cheap SS amps on the market than cheap tube amps, but that is more because of wanting to produce cheap amps than wanting to produce good cheap amps.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The Tube does sound better, but I don't think it's worth the extra $150 it costs. Then again, I use my Vypyr as a home practice/backup amp. If you're going to be using it as your main amp, then I'd recommend getting the tube. In any case, you're going to get a great deal if you go used. The Tube 60's go for around $250-300 I think. I got my 75 for $150.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I've seen many say that there is not much difference at low volume, but once you turn it up the tube version performs much better.
Guitars
Amps