My SG took a dive recently. Luckily the neck is intact, not so much as a scuff mark.
One of the vintage-style tuners on the bass side bit the dust though. No big deal - just wondered about replacements...

I'm in Australia. Is it better to keep the originals or "upgrade" - depends on price...
The Gibson-branded ones have never given me any trouble, a couple of people recommended Gotoh, some one tried flogging me some crappy ones from a dead Epiphone...

As for other part of thread title...

On the way to rehearsals on Saturday morning and I happend to be walking past a guitar shop with a sign outside; "Genuine Gibson spares and repairs" - so I walked in to enquire. Had about $10 on me as I wasn't planning on buying anything at all. I made it clear to the guy in the shop that I wanted to know availability and price. He then proceeded to ring it up. So I reiterated and he made some drama... "I don't want them now - just to know you'll have them in the week and how much I'll need..." "OF COURSE!Hmmppspppfff - $150 - always in..."

Which made me think of him as a bit of a fool as I have been in the shop numerous times and bought pedals, leads, strings, picks and polish.... Just annoying.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Oh man, not another "Guitar gear iz so 3xpens1ves here in Auzzie!" thread.

Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I'd upgrade. The machine heads on my SG get messed up all the time. Fortunately, I still have spares from the first time. But it's annoying.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
same thing happened to my SG a few years back. I would replace the the tunners. My guitar luthier did it to mine without telling me the brand, but they look like the originals with a better gear ratio. On my Les Paul, I replaced the Gibson tuners with Rotomatics, and my ES same stock with Grovers.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Yeah just about any brand tuner is as good if not better than gibsons. All they are is rebranded 12:1 ratio Grover tuners on Gibson guitars any ways.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
Oh man, not another "Guitar gear iz so 3xpens1ves here in Auzzie!" thread.

No - the cost is irrelevant - I can afford the spares - it was the fact that I merely enquired as to the cost. I just don't want to be ripped off or, if there is something superior for the same or similar price then I'd rather upgrade.
Quote by Darkflame
^^wow, first time I've seen chrome-colored hardware more expensive than gold-covered one...

Oddly enough a guy in another shop I went to last night on the way home said the same - and he was going through a Gibson stockist website.

Sperzels could be an option.
if one machinehead crapped out on you after one dive, upgrade them to better machine heads. i think you could get good locking tuners for the price a set of new gibson tuners would cost you.
Quote by Seanthesheep
if one machinehead crapped out on you after one dive, upgrade them to better machine heads. i think you could get good locking tuners for the price a set of new gibson tuners would cost you.

That's the way I think I'm heading.
When it hit the floor the waffle-style casing sheared straight off. It's more a pain than anything else and finding time.

I've replaced machine heads before, but it's always been upgrades on cheaper instruments on new installs from scratch.
Cool - if I'm replacing the full set I may as well upgrade.