Just thinking bout my total cost for my near future ngd (hopefully charvel socal white ). since ive only bought like 1 guitar before, ive been wondering, when you guys buy your guitars, is it like horribly set up from sitting around in the shop? main brands i want to reference to are:

Gibson (heard its hit or miss these days)
Charvel
Jackson
PRS
Dean

im refereing to their mid-range guitars. somewhere around the price of $600-$900, thought from what ive heard some higher end gibsons are around the same quality.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
It depends. Any good retailers will ship the guitar with the strings loose to avoid issues. And depending on how long it takes for the guitar to get to you, the strings may have been too loose for too long, which could cause neck issues. Nothing that can't be fixed easily, but something that would make the guitar not play that well.
Quote by trueamerican
It depends. Any good retailers will ship the guitar with the strings loose to avoid issues. And depending on how long it takes for the guitar to get to you, the strings may have been too loose for too long, which could cause neck issues. Nothing that can't be fixed easily, but something that would make the guitar not play that well.

BS.

No store should ship a guitar with loosened strings, the guitar should be setup as if ready to play, same as it would be in store when its up on the rack. You dont loosen your strings when you put the guitar in its case when you go on holiday do you?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
BS.

No store should ship a guitar with loosened strings, the guitar should be setup as if ready to play, same as it would be in store when its up on the rack. You dont loosen your strings when you put the guitar in its case when you go on holiday do you?

I actually do loosen the strings a little. I find it prevents worse tuning problems from occurring.
Last time I bought a guitar though, it was put into the box in standard tuning. Then in transport it gradually changed to open F#.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
here's my experience:
dean z-x from musiciansfriend($200)- needed a good deal of tlc. had electrical problems pretty early on (2-3 months) needed a setup immediately
jackson RR3 from ebay dealer ($750)- damn near perfect, the licensed floyd needed a few minor adjustments but it was tits.

dean black gold z ~refurbished~from american musical supply ($700ish)- i've played it for 2 years and still have the initial strings and have made no adjustments on it. i have no clue how i got so lucky but dayum i love this guitar. one issue, last month the ground wire came loose and was dangling around inside the cavity occasionally hitting things i didnt want it to causing wails and screams from my amp... not cool, but quick tack job with a soldering iron.

IMO if you spend above 500 you'll get a pretty solid guitar and wont have to mess with crap on it. i've never had a bad experience ordering a guitar to say the least. i've only bought 1 of my 6 electrics in person, to give you an idea.
I honestly don't care about a guitar's setup out of the box. All that matters to me is that I CAN set it up to my liking. By setup I'm really only referring to the adjustments that simply require the turn of a screw/bolt: Relief, Action and Intonation. Relief and Action are personal preference so I'm probably going to adjust them on even a $2K guitar. Intonation depends on string gauge, brand and tuning as well as what the action/relief just got set to so this is something else I EXPECT to adjust.

While nut adjustments and fret work can be considered part of a Setup, I'll classify these a bit differently as they require more than simply turning a bolt or a screw. I've NEVER seen a guitar at the $200 price point with nut slots the proper depth; they are almost always too high (erring on the safe side). As for fretwork at this price point, you'll see a pretty wide range of quality. Some are horrific and some are actually quite decent.....and this is within a particular brand/model. When buying at this price point it really pays to be able to handpick your guitar unless you know how to do fretwork. At the $400-500 level I would expect the nut to be just about perfect and the fretwork should be pretty darn good.....perhaps a slightly high/low fret here or there simply due to climate changes from when/where it was made to when/where it was purchased. At $750 and up I expect the nut and fretwork to be perfect (not that it always is).
Don't expect any guitar you buy, regardless of price, to be set up well.

1) Guitars go through A LOT to come from factories to your local store or doorstep.
2) A "good" set up is a completely subjective thing. There just is no such thing as a "good set up", because everyone likes their guitars set up differently.

Have realistic expectations. If you don't like the way it plays when you get it, fix it. It's that simple.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
it really just depends

I know from my own personal experience of buying guitars online, I've had guitars come with pretty good stock setups, nice setups which just didn't suit my own preferences, mediocre setups, and a couple where the strings were loosened way down and I had to more or less set it up myself.

It just really depends on the guitar and the shop.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't have any experience with online, but from a shop, it's mostly just really old strings that I've had trouble with. Makes sliding very difficult Otherwise, not much setup wise.
it really depends, when i bought my telecaster, i bought it new from the factory, and when it arrived, it arrived perfectly set up and in tune. and that was from mexico to canada.

when i bought my acoustic from montreal and brought it back home it had serious action issues and tension issues. and i bought that one in person and it was fine when i bought it.

im just saying shipping a guitar is hit and miss in my expirience. but after i got my acoustic set up (200$ guitar, 40$ setup) it plays better and sounds better than most acoustics below 800$ that ive seen and played. if you buy a good guitar and it arrives with minor fixable issues then a with a setup youll be fine. but loosening strings before shipping is also hit and miss. both times the guitar was shipped in tune so
I've never bought a guitar I didn't have to at least setup the intonation on. Most came in at least a somewhat playable state with only tuning required. I've never bought anything that was perfect out of the box. This is for shipped goods. Usually music stores have the guitars setup pretty well when you buy them. Of course I like to get my hands on a guitar before I buy it but this isn't always possible with some models.