I've been having some issues with fret buzz on my Guild DCE1. The action has always been SUPER low but I've never had any issues with fret buzz. Suddenly, there were issues. The first two frets were DEAD.

I then changed the strings and while doing so checked to see if there were any shims under the saddle. There aren't. I figure I need a new saddle (although I can't understand what caused the spontaneous fret buzz) because I'd prefer not to put shims, as they aren't as conducive to a good sound.

However, I was unable to bring my acoustic back home with me for spring break, as I had to take a train and bus and walk a lot with my big sack o' clothing.

So is it possible to have a luthier or guitar tech make me a new saddle without having the guitar present? And if so, what material should it be? Bone? Wood? Other?
any time a guitar suddenly starts sounding bad or buzzing, the first thing to check would be the humidity where the guitar is kept - and with a hygrometer that has been tested so you're sure it's working.

a luthier that's had experience with that very guitar can generally shape the saddle, but it really should be made with your guitar present as the luthier has no way to know exactly how high or low your action is, and what exactly the neck angle is, etc, without having the guitar present.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
The guitar has been kept in its case when not in use in the same room that it's been in for months, which I why I didn't think humidity was a factor (also the weather hasn't changed much where my guitar is situated).
Quote by trueamerican
The guitar has been kept in its case when not in use in the same room that it's been in for months, which I why I didn't think humidity was a factor (also the weather hasn't changed much where my guitar is situated).

Do you humidify the guitar at all? I assume you live in a dorm or an apartment that is not humidified. You've probably been lucky that you haven't had issues before in such an environment. Go to the hardware store and get a cheap (less than $10.00) hygrometer. If your guitar is too dry that could be the source of your problems. There are plenty of threads on this topic.