I picked up a ST31 condensor mic a few weeks ago, I'm running XP with a Lexicon Alpha interface, two Tannoy monitors, and all livewire cables, Cubase 5, and a phantom box... My problem is when I record there's an extremely annoying hiss (but high frequency) which you can audibly hear. Obviously not good for recording acoustic...almost like "cross talk"

I'm happy with how the mic sounds other than that, and I've messed with my interface while recording in the form of turning the output levels down, the input levels down, moving the phantom/mic far away from the computer etc. My Sm57 sounds great on the Alpha, and it seems to handle everything ok except this.. Any ideas?

I know it's not the Mic because I took it back to guitar center thinking the same thing, they couldn't replicate the problem as I stood right there beside them so I'm kind of at a loss on what to do. I hate to go run off and spend 400$ on another recording interface and run into the same issue again.. Any help will be appreciated!
Martin DX1
79' Strat with original 1972 maple neck w/bullet truss / Lace Sensor Golds
93' Strat mahogany neck with Lace Sensor Silver.
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
So you don't hear the noise when you're not using the phantom box and using your 57? What kind of box is it? Are you using balanced cables?
No I don't hear it when using the 57. Its just a phantom box made by sterling audio, not sure what you mean by balanced cables.
Martin DX1
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
Ok I did a bit of reading, seems that all xlr cables are balanced and these are even of the same brand.
Martin DX1
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
For anyone wondering I found it's a faulty ground on the earlier lexicon alphas that does this with condenser mics. You can call lexicon and they will repair it free.
Martin DX1
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
Well, glad you found out.

Quote by kylec922
Ok I did a bit of reading, seems that all xlr cables are balanced and these are even of the same brand.

I asked because there are XLR to 1/4" cables that are unbalanced. I wanted to make sure that wasn't what you were using.
Quote by kylec922
For anyone wondering I found it's a faulty ground on the earlier lexicon alphas that does this with condenser mics. You can call lexicon and they will repair it free.

Glad you found out. From what you described, that's what I suspected but caught this thread too late to throw that help out there!
Do you love Alice In Chains and Metallica? How about Tool and Velvet Revolver?...then you need to check out one of the most refreshing new hard rock bands in awhile...-->The Liberty Underground<--