Page 1 of 3
Guys what would you lot recommend in the (1-20w) practice amp range?

For good sound, reliability and versitility? Im not bothered about an effects filled amp, just one i can get a good rock to metal range tone and a nice clean.

Can you get tube amps ( apart from the ht-1/5) this small, that are commendable?
I would prefer a valve amp over solidstate.

What are the vox valvetronic amps like and the Marshall Mg series?

Cheers for any info.
Last edited by Danslash at Mar 15, 2011,
Just a word of warning, if you mention the words. "Marshall MG" and "Line Six Spider" prepare to put a flame suit on. It's about to get warm.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Danslash
ooopppss sorry not good amps then lol????

So have you any info?

They say the Line Six is very digital sounding and gets worse as you get louder. The headphone output is an emulated out as well so it doesn't sound great plugged into a PA system. To me though, they are fine for a bedroom amp if someone wants to get loads of sounds and wants to try them all at one go.

I'd prefer a tube amp though.

No idea on the MG though. Sorry
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
thansk man

i prefer a tube amp too, i have a blackstar ht-1r (probs seen thread) but im having trouble with a hum on certain notes on two guitars (one being a brand new gibson!)

so if i get it on the new HT-1r, ill swap it for another amp, so i need some advice before i get to that moment when i have to decide on the spot literally .
Quote by Danslash
thansk man

i prefer a tube amp too, i have a blackstar ht-1r (probs seen thread) but im having trouble with a hum on certain notes on two guitars (one being a brand new gibson!)

so if i get it on the new HT-1r, ill swap it for another amp, so i need some advice before i get to that moment when i have to decide on the spot literally .

Are you sure it isn't your intonation giving you fret-buzz?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
even on my new gibson as well?

i could understand on the old epi, even the tech said it cant be both guitars wrong.

and when tested on the ht-5 it was all gone?
It could be.

You may have just got a lemon from the shop. Can you return it?

Or it might be your lead.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
the ht-1r was 169 with px, so maybe i could add another 100£ max..

just bought the gibson so just a bit tight

@fish. im in the progress of awaiting a new one, so if thats still buzzing im gonna try a new amp. and yes ive tried several leads
Bugera V22?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Pmt have a 2nd hand Epiphone valve jnr for £80. With the spare 160 you could get a decent mfx pedal 2nd hand for it.

Tried and tested setup.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
The blackstar should do it - but the Peavey Vypyr is supposed to be great - basically any small modeling amp for $100 of under should do the trick as a practice amp. So long as it's not any of those start pack amps.
Southend.

Great store and staff.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
yeah thats where im sorting my ht, a guy called adam well helpfull.

do they do the bugera 5w amps ?....they look special and they accentuate down to 0.1 and 1 w right?
VHT special 6, epi valve jr, fender champ, vox ac4, black heart
all low watt tube amps...
Quote by Danslash
mcamp what would u say os the best out of them?

I like the Vht special 6 the best(ive moddified mine!). Got a Valve Jr as well.
Vht now also make a special 6 ultra that has more gain, and a effects loop.
They are also excellant platfors for moddifieing and leaning how amps work.
Special 6 also has a fooswitchable boost!
Last edited by mcamp1230 at Mar 15, 2011,
Quote by Danslash
yeah thats where im sorting my ht, a guy called adam well helpfull.

do they do the bugera 5w amps ?....they look special and they accentuate down to 0.1 and 1 w right?

Long haired guy? Or Stubbly Adam?

Either way, they are all good guys.

If your after an amp to play metal on, tbh the best you could get and save a bomb would be a Peavey Vypyr.

The Vypyr 15 is something daft like £79.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
The vypr is it tube? Any good for clean I still like z clean tone and a classic crunch
Long haired adam
Well unless your willing to save for a while. I wouldn't recommend anything under £250 for an amp intended for anything but bedroom practice.

Is this amp going to be used for band practices, gigs and everything in between?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
there could be a possibility for rehearsal in a studio (starting a band) gigging probably not. but i can hire, i think its mushroom studio?

just want a nice sounding tube amp for home where i can crank without blowing out my conservatory!!!

i had a cube20x and found that sounded very digital hence my move to (what i thought) was a tube amp.

IM REALLY HOPING I JUST GOT A DUD COS I REALLY LIKE THE HT-1!!

yo tom just seen your equipment dam i feel a bit intimidated..
dont, my gear is nothing special compared to some guys on here.

Well if thats the case, its always better to have your own amp to use at home and take to the studio etc.

I found it impossible to sound how I wanted either at home or practice due to using different amps everywhere.

So lets say you have what £260 plus whatever they have you back on your HT-1?

so around £350?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
no mate i paid 139 (ht-1 worth 169) with px from my cube, lol they gave me 30 measly quid for it

maybe i could put an extra hundred, but not sure.

btw cheers for the help, even better from a local lad
Ok,

hmmmm so they will give you credit as they dont do refunds

What dont you like about your HT-1?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
THing is soon as you start talking about small practise amps, ppl presume your not serious about sounding good. i am just trying to get the best tone out of the available sound room i have at home. My partner and kids wouldnt appreciate me bringing a 40w home and belting that out lol
hmmmm odd.

best take your guitar with you when you try some other guitars and see what the guys think. I think it may be the fact the tiny little speaker is struggling.

I have had erm... 2 or 3 HT5s now, 2 heads and 1 combo

They are no way too loud for home use and I much preferred them to the HT1 I played the other week.

One solution could be you get the head version of the HT1 and then a Blackstar 110 cab?

EDIT:

Completely understand that mate, I have a 2 year old sister so play through my brothers Vypyr than my own ENGL.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
yeah thats a possibility how much you looking?

what do you think of these bugera amps, not sure pmt stockem tbh

EDIT: isnt the ht active as a head also i thoiught i read?
£260 but they might be able to do you a deal?

I had a Bugera 333 212 XL and really liked it, but the V22 would be very loud if your wanting to crank it up loud.

One issue you might find is that PMT are very reluctant to deal with Behringer ( the company who own Bugera) due to supply issues and lack of communication. However its worth asking them anyway dude.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Not a problem

Its nice to be able to try and help people, only reason I come here... That and Matrixclaws occasional NGD threads.

They are a popular range, I have never played on but alot of the guys on this site have them if your after a soft crunch/hard rock it should be good.

Just remembered, last time I was in PMT they had a small Peavey Royal 8 for about the same money and would be absolutely perfect for what your after

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLgrfnJkZ1U

iirc it might have even been like £80. Which would leave you money for something like a nice lead, boost pedal or just extra credit.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Mar 15, 2011,
I'd say for rock and metal the bugera it has more gain than most of the small tube amps. If your willing to go solid state for more features then a peavey vyper 30
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
im not interested in effects and loads of amp models or SS, just a nice tube small amp that i can get a nice heavy dist out of..a nice clean and preferbly just reverb, its why i went for the blackstar.
Oh ok,

You want metal?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
errm anything from slash to trivium/ really but love a nice clean sound..

lol all this and the ht may be okay lol

sry that peavey didnt do it for me tbh
Well I would say grab the HT1 and a dirt pedal then buddy.

Probably the best you can get if you didnt like the vypyr.

another shout cuold be the Lil Night train by vox.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Page 1 of 3