If you are a fan of rock, please take part in this survey. Its part of school research for an artefact creation project. I am making a CD of guitar based music and as part of the project we have to find out what our target demographic is.

I use the term Classic Rock as a broad term meaning styles of rock that have prominent distorted electric guitar parts, bass guitar, acoustic drums, and a strong vocal part (I can’t think of a good word to describe it, you have to hear it.). Keyboards are sometimes used in this style. It is normally written in the minor pentatonic scale or blues minor scale, with occasional use of the natural minor scale.

This means I am excluding indie rock, alternative rock, pop rock, soft rock, hardcore/metalcore, pop punk, most punk, some progressive rock, grunge, emo, glam rock and any styles that do not fit the above description.
This also excludes heavier genres such as thrash metal, death metal, black metal, etc. I might accept Iron Maiden, as some of their stuff can be quite rocky. But their newer stuff is more metal than rock. They do overlap a lot.

I am including bands such as AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Motorhead, ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Deep Purple, Aerosmith, Fleetwood Mac, etc; basically any bands that could fit into the lengthy definition above. Sorry, it’s hard to describe what I mean because a lot of people don’t properly know what rock is. E.g. The Beatles are commonly called rock, even though they’re pop.

Now, that’s out of the way, here’s the survey.

1. How old are you?

2. What gender are you?

3. Are you employed? If no, skip to question 4
If yes, then which of these choices best describes you as a worker? Delete the ones that don’t apply to you.
* Part time/Minimum wage
* Blue Collar (manual labour. manufacturing, mining, building and construction trades, mechanical work, maintenance, repair and operations maintenance, technical installations, etc)
* White Collar (non manual labour, such as office work.)
* Fairly well paid professional (teacher, senior manager, some middle management, &hellip
* Well Paid Professional (Doctor, Lawyer, Scientist, Manager of large scale organisation )
* Other (Please state):

4. Do you go to school/college/university? If no, skip to question 5
Delete the ones that don’t apply to you
* School
* College
* University
5. How much time do you spend listening to music each week?

6. Where do you listen to music? You can say more than one.

7. What bands do you like?

8. What are your favourite songs?

9. Who are your favourite songwriters/lyricists?

The next questions are optional, but it would be appreciated if you answered them

9. What do you think are the most important parts of a song?
* Chorus
* Guitar Solos
* Main Riff
* Verses
* Intro
* Lyrics
* Other Instrument solos (bass solos, key solos, drum solos?)
* Other (Please state):

10. Please give reasons for your answers to the above question.

11. What do you look for in the song parts you stated in question 8? E.g. catchy hook, headbangability (not sure that’s a word), shredding licks…

12. Please give some feedback on this questionnaire.
Musical Theatre! *jazz hands*

...what am I doing on this site...
Last edited by MetaIronForce at Mar 15, 2011,
1. 16

2. Male

3. * Other (Please state): Assistant Tae Kwon Do instructor

4. * College

5. Countless hours

6. Computer, radio, stereo system

7. Beatles, Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac (both Peter Green and the poppier stuff) Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, Jeff Beck (durr), Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Cream, Eric Clapton, CSNY.

8. What are your favourite songs? Tarkus (ELP), Scatterbrain (JB), Rattlesnake Shake (FM), the Chain (also FM), Eclipse (PF), Dance the Night Away (Cream), Foxey Lady (Hendrix), Revolution 9 (Beatles).

The next questions are optional, but it would be appreciated if you answered them

9. * Other (Please state): Songwriting/ arrangement.

10. Without good songwriting or arrangement, the song is shite.

11. I'm into more introspective lyrics, if none are available, however, then inspired improvisation is important to me.

12. Should include favorite songwriters.
Comic

SAAAAAAAAANNNNNSSSS!!!!
Quote by jeffbecklad

3. * Other (Please state): Assistant Tae Kwon Do instructor

That would fall under teacher. I have to put you into one of the demographics
Musical Theatre! *jazz hands*

...what am I doing on this site...
(How old are you?)
Well, I was just 17, if you know what I mean.
And the way I looked was way beyond compair.

(What gender are you?)
Mail.... Oops, I mean MALE.

(How much time do you spend listening to music each week?)
I dunno, 12ish...

(Where do you listen to music? You can say more than one.)
Me cell phone, mostly YouTube, and MP3.

(What bands do you like?)
In order it would be:
1. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.
2. The Beatles (A.K.A. the best band ever)
3. Joan Jett & The Blackhearts

(What are your favourite songs?)
In order it would be:
1. "I won't back down" - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
2. "Blinded by the light" - Manfred Mann
3. "Let it be" - The Beatles

(Who are your favourite songwriters/lyricists?)
In order it would be:
1. Paul McCartney.
2. Rod Stewart.
3. Elton John.

(What do you think are the most important parts of a song?)
* Chorus
* Guitar Solos <-------- This one daddy! This one!
* Main Riff
* Verses
* Intro
* Lyrics
* Other (Please state):
HARE KRISHNA!
Quote by MetaIronForce
If you are a fan of rock, please take part in this survey. Its part of school research for an artefact creation project. I am making a CD of guitar based music and as part of the project we have to find out what our target demographic is.

I use the term Classic Rock as a broad term meaning styles of rock that have prominent distorted electric guitar parts, bass guitar, acoustic drums, and a strong vocal part (I can’t think of a good word to describe it, you have to hear it.). Keyboards are sometimes used in this style. It is normally written in the minor pentatonic scale or blues minor scale, with occasional use of the natural minor scale.

This means I am excluding indie rock, alternative rock, pop rock, soft rock, hardcore/metalcore, pop punk, most punk, some progressive rock, grunge, emo, glam rock and any styles that do not fit the above description.
This also excludes heavier genres such as thrash metal, death metal, black metal, etc. I might accept Iron Maiden, as some of their stuff can be quite rocky. But their newer stuff is more metal than rock. They do overlap a lot.

I am including bands such as AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Motorhead, ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Deep Purple, Aerosmith, Fleetwood Mac, etc; basically any bands that could fit into the lengthy definition above. Sorry, it’s hard to describe what I mean because a lot of people don’t properly know what rock is. E.g. The Beatles are commonly called rock, even though they’re pop.

Now, that’s out of the way, here’s the survey.

1. How old are you?

2. What gender are you?

3. Are you employed? If no, skip to question 4
If yes, then which of these choices best describes you as a worker? Delete the ones that don’t apply to you.
* Part time/Minimum wage
* Blue Collar (manual labour. manufacturing, mining, building and construction trades, mechanical work, maintenance, repair and operations maintenance, technical installations, etc)
* White Collar (non manual labour, such as office work.)
* Fairly well paid professional (teacher, senior manager, some middle management, &hellip
* Well Paid Professional (Doctor, Lawyer, Scientist, Manager of large scale organisation )
* Other (Please state):

4. Do you go to school/college/university? If no, skip to question 5
Delete the ones that don’t apply to you
* School
* College
* University

6. Where do you listen to music? You can say more than one.

* Chorus
* Guitar Solos
* Main Riff
* Verses
* Intro
* Lyrics
* Other (Please state):

11. What do you look for in the song parts you stated in question 8? E.g. catchy hook, headbangability (not sure that’s a word), shredding licks…

12. Please give some feedback on this questionnaire.

1. 22

2. Gender is a socially constructed concept. My sex is male.

4. University- Graduate School

5. 40-50 hours a week

6. My desk and my car.

7. The Who, Jackson Browne, CCR, Eric Clapton, Tom Petty, The Beatles, Paul McCartney, and many more who are not Classic Rock.

8. I Can't Explain, I'm One, The Real Me (all by The Who) ; These Days, Late For the Sky (by Jackson Browne)

9. Pete Townshend, Jackson Browne, Paul McCartney

9b. The melody and the lyrics.

10. The lyrics give meaning and a way to connect to a song. The melody makes it enjoyable to listen to and sing along with.

11. I look for lyrics that relate to things I feel. I also look for melodies that appeal to me and are memorable.

12. You could benefit from a graduate level research methods course

But good job. I enjoyed the questions and reading people's answers.
Please don't confront me with my failures. I had not forgotten them.
1. 19

2. Male

3. Unemployed

4. Missouri State University

5. 10-12 hours

6. In my car, on the walk to class, in my dorm room

7. CCR, Eric Clapton, The Eagles, ZZ Top, Led Zeppelin, Robin Trower, Boston, Steve Miller Band

8. "The Joker" - Steve Miller Band
"Peaceful Easy Feeling" - Eagles
"Lookin' Out My Back Door" - CCR
"Immigrant Song" - Led Zeppelin
"Only The Good Die Young" - Billy Joel
"Slow Ride" - Foghat
"Paradise By The Dashboard Light" - Meatloaf

(I hope some of these count as classic rock)

9. Robert Plant, John Fogerty

9b. It's a tie between lyrics, chorus, and main riff

10. The lyrics need to be captivating, and not lame enough so that I'm not embarrassed to sing.
The chorus is usually the most defining characteristic of the song
Main riff = reason to headbang

11. I go for a catchy hook. If it's catchy AND I can headbang to it, then it's a winner.

I personally think that it's difficult to headbang to classic songs these days because the recording quality usually isn't heavy enough to get a decent amount of adrenaline pumping. This is mainly because I'm conditioned by listening to heavier modern rock.

I find classic rock to be more catchy than heavy, and that's fine with me.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Actually, lyrics are pretty important to a song for me anyway.
HARE KRISHNA!
1. 21

2. Male

3. Military

4. No

5. 40+ hours...I'm kind of a fanatic

6. At work, at home, in the car. Pretty much anywhere I can

7. Jimi Hendrix, John Mayer, Sister Hazel, Led Zeppelin, Boston, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vauhan, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Pink Floyd, Tom Petty, Van Halen

8. Hey Joe, Voodoo Child, Stairway to Heaven, Pretending, My Father's Eyes, Crossfire, That Smell, Gimme Three Steps, Comfortably Numb, Sorrow, Time, Learning to Fly, American Girl, Refugee, The Waiting, Jump, Summer Nights, Aint Talkin Bout Love

9. John mayer, David Gilmour, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan

* Chorus
* Guitar Solos
* Main Riff
* Verses

10. The things listed above are the meat of a song. If they suck, the song sucks.

11. Each song provides a specific emotional response, whether it's relaxing, jamming, intense. They all serve a purpose for me.

12. It serves the exact purpose needed. Long enough to get some solid info, without being so long that it's irritating to complete
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
1. 15
2. male
3. no
4. no
5. i'm always listning to music
6. everywhere
7. Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Santana, The Beatles
8. Foxey Ladey, Heartbreaker, Living Loving Maid, Fire, Five To One, Purple Haze, Come on (let The Good times roll)
9. Main Riff
10. the riff is what makes the whole song its the best part and the most important
11. it just has to sound bad ass and awesome
12. pretty cool
Whenever the Will to Power, in no matter what form, begins to decline, a physiological retrogression, decadence always supervenes.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
1. How old are you?

2. What gender are you?
-Male

3. Are you employed? * Part time/Minimum wage

*4. Do you go to school/college/university?
* School

-HooHooHoooo, Umm including radio in the car, ipod, and computer, Umm atleast a whole 24 hours if you break it up, I think.

6. Where do you listen to music?
-In the car, on my computer ( =] ), and on my ipod, which could be while Im running or virtually anywhere.

-Foreigner, Zep, Ac/dc, top 3 I guess, I mean the list goes onnn

-Back In Black, Heyhey what can I do?, Stairway

-Robert Plant and Jimmyy

* Main Riff

-This is the hook that draws you in

-A catchy song that meshes all four aspects of a band together. Drums, Guitar, Bass, and Lyrics. It can be more like keyboards too or w/e

12. Please give some feedback on this questionnaire
- I liked it =]
"Dont judge others, who are we to decide?"
1. How old are you? 19

2. What gender are you? Female

3. Are you employed? Yes, part-time/minimum wage

4. Do you go to school/college/university? College

5. How much time do you spend listening to music each week? 40 hours a week on estimation

6. Where do you listen to music? dorm, car, school, etc.

7. What bands do you like? Alice Cooper, Motley Crue, David Bowie, The Rolling Stones, The Doors, Iggy Pop, etc.

8. What are your favourite songs? Caught In A Dream - Alice Cooper, "Heroes" - David Bowie, Success - Iggy Pop, etc.

9. Who are your favourite songwriters/lyricists? David Bowie, Nikki Sixx, Michael Bruce

10. What do you think are the most important parts of a song?
* Chorus
* Main Riff
* Intro
* Lyrics

11. Please give reasons for your answers to the above question.
intro - because that will catch the listener's attention to keep them interested in the song.
chorus - basically the same reason as for intro.
lyrics - it gives better quality to a song when the lyrics have a good point to them.
main riff - a good riff gives good support to the duration of the song.

12. What do you look for in the song parts you stated in question 8?
I look for a good catchy hook, lyrics that seem well put together and thought out as well as strong vocals.

13. good work
1. How old are you? 16 1/2

2. What gender are you? Male

3. Are you employed? No

4. Do you go to school/college/university?
* School

6. Where do you listen to music? Everywhere

7. What bands do you like? Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Grateful Dead, Frank Zappa

8. What are your favourite songs? Hey Hey What Can I Do, Deuces Are Wild, Hells Bells, Little Wing, Comfortably Numb

9. Who are your favourite songwriters/lyricists? Jim Morrison, John Lennon, Roger Waters, Robert Plant, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton

9. What do you think are the most important parts of a song? Intro, Verse, Chorus, Solo, Riff

* Intro - Hooks listener
* Verse - Keeps listener interested
* Chorus - Emphasis on what the song is about (repeated)
* Solo - Crazy breakdown that's a change and sometimes unexpected. Also, soulful
* Riff - Catchy. If you don't like the riff... you probably don't like the song.

11. What do you look for in the song parts you stated in question 8? Catchy riff (something I would want to play), non-boring solo, good intro to get me interested, verse and chorus not to lose my attention.

12. Please give some feedback on this questionnaire. 'Twas good