That lead guitar(s) sounds pretty horrible, and it's a bit quiet. Work on your bends, some of them are out of tune. Both the clean guitar and the rhythm guitar sound like they're panned slightly to the left.
You should dual track the rhythm guitar (tracking it twice) and pan one 100% to the left, the other 100% right. This will give you a wider stereo image and will give more room for individual instruments in the mix.
The bass guitar sounds bit dull, sounds like very old strings, it doesn't have any of that nice high end sizzle of a newly strung bass.

Also all your distorted guitars sound pretty bad, how are you recording them? What amp, mic, interface etc?
Last edited by Ascendant at Mar 15, 2011,
Quote by Ascendant
That lead guitar(s) sounds pretty horrible, and it's a bit quiet. Work on your bends, some of them are out of tune. Both the clean guitar and the rhythm guitar sound like they're panned slightly to the left.
You should dual track the rhythm guitar (tracking it twice) and pan one 100% to the left, the other 100% right. This will give you a wider stereo image and will give more room for individual instruments in the mix.
The bass guitar sounds bit dull, sounds like very old strings, it doesn't have any of that nice high end sizzle of a newly strung bass.

Also all your distorted guitars sound pretty bad, how are you recording them? What amp, mic, interface etc?

Thanks for the quick response. First off I'm using a Line 6 ux1 and just plugging my guitar straight in and using gearbox. Yes I am saving for a mic. I will try the dual tracking, should I just copy the recorded track of the rhythm and then the panning?

I think the problem with the bass is I did the EQ on reaper instead of my amp, so what ill do is redo the bass but do the EQing on the amp first.

As for the lead parts ill try get a better sound and work on the bends. I also think that the intonation needs doing on the lead guitar.

Thanks
@jecox ssssoooo ssweeeet that whole set up is so sweet. If I had any distortion/delay setup it would be the akai headrush and BM. Awesome set up.

Hey no problem. I too have an ux1 interface, you can get some pretty good tones with gearbox/POD farm. Although I prefer the free amp sims made by Onqel, Lepou and Alu coupled with free impulses in LeCab2, sounds way less digital and fizzy than Line 6 amp sims.

No, do not copy the track, you have to record two separate takes. If you just copy one take and pan them 100% L/R it will still sound like it's one take panned in the middle.

It's always a good idea to get a tone right at the source, never think "I'll fix it in the mix". Garbage in garbage out, as they say.
I havnt listened to your mix but heres some tips.

Get podfarm, its way better than gear box
Invest in the metal pack for podfarm
If ur using a mac use garage band. Its a lot easier to mix with it imo
Double track everything but bass and vocals. Ie record 1 take then another take and pan them seperatly.
Bass and drums should be dead center unless your going for an effect.
In recording less is more. Keep it simple. Dont overdue reverb and other effects. Ie distortion
When u eq you want each instrament to have its own place in the mix. Ie bass doesnt mud up the kick or guitar. Guitar.

I use the ux2 with podfarm 2 in to garage band, heres an example of it listen to "ftw"
Soundclick.com/davidcosslett
Ill give ur track a listen later on and get more in depth
The metal shop pack is alright for high gain, though what I think brings down pod farm is the cabinets, they sound mediocre at best. One thing you can do to make pod farm amps sound a lot better is to disable the cab sim in POD farm and put an IR loader after it and use Catharsis cabinet impulses for example.

Toms, overheads and hat should usually not be panned dead center, just saying, unless you want a really narrow sounding mix, or if you're mixing in mono. Also double tracking (or even quad tracking) vocals can have a very nice effect, especially if you sing harmonies. Even singing the exact same thing twice with the same notes (ie two "identical" takes) can give the vocals a fuller and more powerful sound during, say, a chorus, and then going back to one take during the verse.

Also use whatever DAW you like best, there is no universal "best" DAW.
Last edited by Ascendant at Mar 15, 2011,
Do you think using a mic on my amp(s) would make the leads so better?
@jecox ssssoooo ssweeeet that whole set up is so sweet. If I had any distortion/delay setup it would be the akai headrush and BM. Awesome set up.

Not necessarily, personally I think amp sims are a lot better for lead tones than for rhythm (at least POD farm). What amp do you have?
tiny terror into a closed back 212 v30s

okay just double tracked the rhythm and it sound amazing

You should really consider getting an SM57 so you can mic up that amp, that is if you live somewhere where it can be cranked.
thats what iv been looking at for the future

If its midi drums keep them dead center because they are pre paned. Live drums def pan shit out. Impulses are a must but not neccisary if its just prepro.
If u use pod farm cab sims I use a 57 on axis for lead and a 57 off axis for rythm

Hes right about daws but imo garageband and logic are just more user friendly to me
Last edited by david-vbhc at Mar 15, 2011,
I'm a pc and windows 7 was my idea.

Also reaper is already becoming second nature

Quote by david-vbhc

Double track everything but bass and vocals.

Double tracked vocals are just as common as double tracked guitars though.

@TS, everything sounds okay, but there's not much to comment on as far as your mix goes, because for the most part there's only 1 or 2 tracks playing at a time.