SP Custom Hand-Wound Pickups from France.

The awesome thing about these pick-ups is not only that they sound and look amazing, offering everything from tele-style pick-ups to eight-string death machines, but that they also offer a cheaper range - Custom Lite - that gives you the same handwound experience but at a price that matches Dimarzio and others.

I just though I'd make a thread about them because of how much they impressed me. More people need to know about these type of pick-up builders. We're all guilty of going the Dimarzio Crunch Lab / Liquifire or Bareknuckle Painkiller route, but these guys obviously can hold their own against anyone else - and it's great to support the little guys.

The website kinda sucks, but Hufschmid Guitars has them up on his website as well. I believe he's having a set specifically built for him and his guitars. I assume he'll be selling them from his website like he does his Kent Armstrong pick-ups, as well.

Here are a few pictures taken by Patrick:

Here they are on Patrick Hufschmid's awesome new Albindroid design:

By the way, check out his new joint. It's pretty epic if you ask me:

I'm really thinking of picking up a set myself.
interesting, duly noted and bookmarked

have you heard of RD? They're based in NI and a bunch of guys on the tokai forum rave about them. Haven't tried them, though, and I don't think they're super cheap (they had an offer on at the start but it's expired).

EDIT: interesting, they do single-sized humbuckers too

EDIT #2: do you have any prices? their ebay store doesn't seem to exist...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 15, 2011,
they need a better player for the clips. To them, dorian scales over a 12 bar blues is jazz...
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Quote by ethan_hanus
Haha, Bareknuckle beaters, that's kinda funny.

I'd like to hear better quality clips other than youtube. Youtube never does justice to tone tests.

Yeah, the YouTube clips aren't amazing, but the clips on the website are pretty impressive. And I do trust that if people like Patrick Hufschmid wants to put them on his guitars then the pick-ups could well be awesome.

Quote by Dave_Mc
interesting, duly noted and bookmarked

have you heard of RD? They're based in NI and a bunch of guys on the tokai forum rave about them. Haven't tried them, though, and I don't think they're super cheap (they had an offer on at the start but it's expired).

EDIT: interesting, they do single-sized humbuckers too

EDIT #2: do you have any prices? their ebay store doesn't seem to exist...
RD? No. I'll have a look.

I can't find prices anywhere unfortunately. I'll email them and ask.

Yeah, I love the fact that they do single-sized humbuckers. I want humbucker-sized P90's. Maybe they would build them for me.
yeah i mean the only other handwinder I know of who does (strat) single coil-sized humbuckers is haeussel, and their SCSHBs are really frickin' expensive. Like 120 euro or something daft for like one pickup. I liked their humbuckers which I tried in a nik huber, but I don't know if they were 120 euro-nice.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I know why most of them don't do them, they just don't like them (I'm not too fussed on the hot rails in my framus, to be honest), but I reckon a good handwinder could make one into a pretty decent pickup (or at least a lot nicer than a hot rails), plus some people have legitimate reasons for wanting one.

Plus they look really, really cool in the neck position of an 80s-style superstrat with a bridge humbucker. A "normal" single coil just doesn't look the same
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 15, 2011,
I've always thought Bareknuckles were a bit overrated. *puts up flameshield*

Not saying they're bad pickups, just that I think UG overhypes them a bit. I'd rather get some WCRs, Wolfetones, or Zhangbuckers myself.

But I'll check these out. Especially the cheaper ones, since I'd feel a bit guilty putting premium pickups into a $350 guitar.
hey, if i were in the US I'd be looking at those too, I agree that $300 is a lot when you can get homegrown handwound pickups for maybe $150 or $200. Plus you get better deals on things like dimarzio and duncans, when you can get a set of them for ~$150 it makes the $300 for BKPs look very dear by comparison.

Considering the european prices on the standard machine-made branded US pickups, bareknuckles and the like make a lot more sense. I mean unless you go to a shop with good deals on, or somewhere like thomann, you can pay £70-£80 for a bog standard SD or DM, when a BKP is maybe £90- or a bulldog is £80.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
how much is that guitar?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
I couldn't even get the clips to work

any ideas? or do they just take a while to download? (maybe i didn't wait long enough)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I couldn't even get the clips to work

any ideas? or do they just take a while to download? (maybe i didn't wait long enough)

They take a while. They sound pretty good to me. Not mindblowing, but then I'm also listening to their budget line.
ah ok. I'll check them later then

And yeah, my concern with anyone who has a budget line, is that they have a vested interest in making their high-end line better. And human nature being what it is (not to get all political thread on this), a lot of the time it's easier to make the budget line artificially worse than it is to make the high-end line better.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by tr3nt
how much is that guitar?
Normally Patrick sells his Albindroid guitars for around £2300, but he told me he'd probably do it for less. Contact him and find out.

That does seem a lot, but considering that his cheapest guitar, the H6E, which is roughly £1800, doesn't actually earn him any money - it just pays for labour and parts - I think it's a steal.

It's handmade in his tiny little workshop in Switzerland and offers absolute quality and service. I'm actually quite tempted by it myself. The woods he uses are pretty revolutionary for the prices he charges. To see the same beautiful pieces of wood on an acoustic luthier, for instance, you could be looking at $25000.

Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah i mean the only other handwinder I know of who does (strat) single coil-sized humbuckers is haeussel, and their SCSHBs are really frickin' expensive. Like 120 euro or something daft for like one pickup. I liked their humbuckers which I tried in a nik huber, but I don't know if they were 120 euro-nice.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I know why most of them don't do them, they just don't like them (I'm not too fussed on the hot rails in my framus, to be honest), but I reckon a good handwinder could make one into a pretty decent pickup (or at least a lot nicer than a hot rails), plus some people have legitimate reasons for wanting one.

Plus they look really, really cool in the neck position of an 80s-style superstrat with a bridge humbucker. A "normal" single coil just doesn't look the same
I didn't know you had a Framus guitar. How is it, apart from the pick-ups?

€120 is a pretty reasonable price, in my opinion, for a handwound custom pick-up.

Quote by Dave_Mc
ah ok. I'll check them later then

And yeah, my concern with anyone who has a budget line, is that they have a vested interest in making their high-end line better. And human nature being what it is (not to get all political thread on this), a lot of the time it's easier to make the budget line artificially worse than it is to make the high-end line better.
True.

I think Jeremy (I think that's the builders name in English) must have started out with the Custom line-up, found that a lot of his customers wanted a cheaper alternative, and eventually found a way in which to do that.
Quote by Holy Katana
I'm diggin' the Boom Leacher. Tons of clarity for a humbucker.
I think the Hufschmid guitar above uses a Boom Leacher. It's in the neck of the guitar, if I remember rightly. It sounds like more my cup of tea than the Chaosland II that is used in the bridge.
Quote by AngryGoldfish

(a) That does seem a lot, but considering that his cheapest guitar, the H6E, which is roughly £1800, doesn't actually earn him any money - it just pays for labour and parts - I think it's a steal.

(b) I didn't know you had a Framus guitar. How is it, apart from the pick-ups?

(c) €120 is a pretty reasonable price, in my opinion, for a handwound custom pick-up.

(d) True.

I think Jeremy (I think that's the builders name in English) must have started out with the Custom line-up, found that a lot of his customers wanted a cheaper alternative, and eventually found a way in which to do that.

(a) surely if it pays for labour (if it's him actually making the guitars) it means it earns him money?

(b) very nice, I like it a lot. It's a diablo pro, I got a deal on it, couldn't resist. I mean the pickups aren't awful or anything, just it's got a slightly strange selection of them... JB, SSL1 and hot rails...

(c) oh yeah, sure. I think it's more expensive than his other pickups, though.

(d) yep, sure, I'm not saying he's definitely doing anything underhand or anything like that. Just saying that it makes me suspicious- it's kind of one of those things that either way, something is up. If the cheaper ones are much worse, then maybe something is being done to make them not as good- while if the cheaper ones are as good, what justification is there for the price of the dearer custom line?

Of course there's always the third option, which is that he's honestly making them as good as he can for the cheaper price, and they're almost as good as the custom line. Which is fair enough.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
(a) surely if it pays for labour (if it's him actually making the guitars) it means it earns him money?
True. Though I assume it means it only serves as a payment for the hours of work and nothing extra (which is what a business is supposed to do), and of course the parts.

(b) very nice, I like it a lot. It's a diablo pro, I got a deal on it, couldn't resist. I mean the pickups aren't awful or anything, just it's got a slightly strange selection of them... JB, SSL1 and hot rails...
I've never been keen on the Diablo shape. I should because of my love for weird SG's, but it just doesn't click with me like a Yamaha SG, for instance, does.

(d) yep, sure, I'm not saying he's definitely doing anything underhand or anything like that. Just saying that it makes me suspicious- it's kind of one of those things that either way, something is up. If the cheaper ones are much worse, then maybe something is being done to make them not as good- while if the cheaper ones are as good, what justification is there for the price of the dearer custom line?

Of course there's always the third option, which is that he's honestly making them as good as he can for the cheaper price, and they're almost as good as the custom line. Which is fair enough.
I'm not sure what differentiats them that we could understand. But I assume it entails a number of different reasons, ranging from quality of parts, customization, available finishes, after-sales service, etc. I'm just guessing, though. I'll ask when I email them.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
(a) True. Though I assume it means it only serves as a payment for the hours of work and nothing extra (which is what a business is supposed to do), and of course the parts.

(b) I've never been keen on the Diablo shape. I should because of my love for weird SG's, but it just doesn't click with me like a Yamaha SG, for instance, does.

(c) I'm not sure what differentiats them that we could understand. But I assume it entails a number of different reasons, ranging from quality of parts, customization, available finishes, after-sales service, etc. I'm just guessing, though. I'll ask when I email them.

(a) oh yeah, sure. I just mean that there are a bunch of jobs where you're just paid an hourly wage.

(b) It's pretty stratty, I think? I mean it looks like a superstrat to me.

(c) ah, sweet. You'll let us know what the answer is, i assume?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, I'll let you know the answer.

It's like a Strat as well actually. A strange mixture of the two, maybe.
thanks

i think it's maybe the strangely-shaped pickguard that gives the impression it's a bit like an sg- judging solely by the shape and ignoring the pickguard, it's pretty stratty.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
For anyone interested, I received an email back from SP Custom Pick-ups. The prices are are roughly €200 to €250 for a set, depending on the model - so a little cheaper than Bareknuckle.

If I do ever buy the ML2 from Chapman Guitars, I'll most likely replace the pick-ups with SP Custom's.
I like to support the smaller companies. My current build is getting a set of Rock Monkeys, my next planned build is getting some TDMs. Whenever I get around to the one after that I might look into these guys.

EDIT: Although the sound samples on this website all sound like they were recorded through a clock radio...
Last edited by Seref at Mar 21, 2011,
Quote by AngryGoldfish
For anyone interested, I received an email back from SP Custom Pick-ups. The prices are are roughly €200 to €250 for a set, depending on the model - so a little cheaper than Bareknuckle.

If I do ever buy the ML2 from Chapman Guitars, I'll most likely replace the pick-ups with SP Custom's.

thanks
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Seref
I like to support the smaller companies. My current build is getting a set of Rock Monkeys, my next planned build is getting some TDMs. Whenever I get around to the one after that I might look into these guys.

EDIT: Although the sound samples on this website all sound like they were recorded through a clock radio...
You won't be disappointed with the Rock Monkeys. I have an old Squier I modified heavily, using Rock Monkey high gain single coils, and it's easily on-par with a custom shop Stratocaster--or certainly a USA standard model. The only issue is obviously the woods' lack of natural sustain and tone. Everything else is as a great guitar should be.

No problem, Dave!
Just went back to listen to the clips, and they are horrendous. Really a shame, because I'm looking for some badass passives. Sigh...think its still BKP for me at this point.

Someone should make this guy a nice demo for his site
WTLTL 2011
from this forum:

http://www.guitariste.com/forums/accessoires-et-lutherie,sp-custom-pickups,259516,3910.html

Looks like a new pickup design is out there, a collaboration between Patrick Hufschmid and SP custom pickups!

The HELLDUNKEL

Quote by Mark G
Just went back to listen to the clips, and they are horrendous. Really a shame, because I'm looking for some badass passives. Sigh...think its still BKP for me at this point.

Someone should make this guy a nice demo for his site

A soundclip is not a clear indication on the sound of a pickup because you have no idea which gear was used to record it, how the soundclip was edited and which instrument and gear was played...

If you want a super awesome sounding soundclip like the BK aftermath one, it's all very cool but first you would first have to invest a good 15'000$ in the various gear, axe fx, amps, pro tools etc.... (this is what actually makes the sound of the soundclip....)

Try and plug you BK pickup into a cheap amp and record it directly through your computer and you will never produce the same sound...

Also SP custom is 1 man, not a company, over here his brand is famous and many top luthiers are using his pickups...

Last edited by 8stringlover at Jun 30, 2011,
Quote by 8stringlover
from this forum:

A soundclip is not a clear indication on the sound of a pickup because you have no idea which gear was used to record it, how the soundclip was edited and which instrument and gear was played...

If you want a super awesome sounding soundclip like the BK aftermath one, it's all very cool but first you would first have to invest a good 15'000$ in the various gear, axe fx, amps, pro tools etc.... (this is what actually makes the sound of the soundclip....)

Try and plug you BK pickup into a cheap amp and record it directly through your computer and you will never produce the same sound...

Also SP custom is 1 man, not a company, over here his brand is famous and many top luthiers are using his pickups...

It should list the gear used, and it does NOT take 15000 to make a decent clip. That's absolutely rediculous. I'm not asking for the most awesome clips in existence, just useable enough to get some idea of the capabilities and variety. If a company (one man or not) puts up clips to sell his pickups, it doesn't help his case when you can infact get better sound through horrible pickups, a shitty guitar, and decent recording technique. It just doesn't sell the product.

If he is making pickups I assume he already has a decent guitar and amplifier around (which I also saw in his videos) so all he would really need is A. a simple recording setup to record it himself or B. Ask a few good guitarists with recording capabilities to make a clip/video for him in exchange for the free pickup.

Its great that "over there" his brand is famous and luthiers love his pickups. But if he wants to sell his pickups "over here" it would help a lot if his clips show the capabilities of the pickups. Not many people will drop a lot of money on a set of pickups they either haven't heard, or have heard and it sounded terrible. Word of mouth doesn't spread nearly as quickly as a simple youtube clip these days. Seriously, if he can get ONE good clip up on youtube by someone decently well known I can assure you his sales will increase tremendously.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Jun 30, 2011,
The patina on that pickup looks so badass.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Youtube sells gear really well, but maybe he doesn't want to sell his gear that way.

That pick-up looks stunning.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Youtube sells gear really well, but maybe he doesn't want to sell his gear that way.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bongo666

Quote by Mark G

Seriously, if he can get ONE good clip up on youtube by someone decently well known I can assure you his sales will increase tremendously.

Already done mate, Rob Chappers is already hocked up, is he famous enough? ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM7D6lbO7RQ&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQFwSrIiNcQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tpx6HdQ9ME
Last edited by 8stringlover at Jun 30, 2011,
Quote by 8stringlover

Rob Chappers is cool! I didn't see those youtube links on the website, maybe I overlooked them. Anyway, glad he is getting good guitarists to demo his stuff, those clips are much better.

Judging from the # of views he could still get a couple more artists though, as well as someone into recording (miced vs. handheld camera).

*edit*

Saw your username, and thought this might be up your fancy. He should send a pickup to Ola

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHJu3tmeAiM&feature=related
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Jun 30, 2011,
Quote by Mark G
Rob Chappers is cool! I didn't see those youtube links on the website, maybe I overlooked them. Anyway, glad he is getting good guitarists to demo his stuff, those clips are much better.

Judging from the # of views he could still get a couple more artists though, as well as someone into recording (miced vs. handheld camera).

*edit*

Saw your username, and thought this might be up your fancy. He should send a pickup to Ola

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHJu3tmeAiM&feature=related

ahhh dude, sorry I did not receive a notification for your reply and I just came because Rob Chappers uploaded a new video...

Dude, those amplificators are epic! Wish I could afford one!

Rob Chappers Hufschmid Guitars competition!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYCtnvnEaQI&feature=player_embedded