Page 1 of 5
So, a 15 yr old in my girlfriends school hung himself either last night or this morning. My best friend hung herself on May 1st last year, close to a year ago. My girlfriend was nearing the verge of suicide.
It got me thinking.

What do you think suicide is? For example, some people think it's a selfish thing to do, and get angry. You're ending your own life, thus ending all your problems. But you're leaving lot's of people miserable.

Other people perceive it as a sad thing to happen. They feel sympathy for the victim, for they were depressed, and obviously having troubles, etc.

How do you perceive it?

I think of it as sort of a stupid thing to do. Though I do feel sorry for it happening.
When my best friend committed suicide, I was downright depressed, angry, frustrated, and all kinds of emotions. I think they should try and get help and see if they can get better. In the end, they can decide whether it's a choice they will make or not.

TL;DR What do you think about suicide?
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
they become an hero
Quote by DieGarbageMan
i can become erect whilst displeasing women

What a talented person.
Far too sensitive subject to discuss on this dumbass forum.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
suicide is meh. If they wanna kill themselves let them.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS

But seriously. I support suicide. It's the only way out for some, and if you don't want to live, you shouldn't have to. My mom killed herself after my father's death, and I don't really blame her.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
I don't think a person can be demanded to keep living for the sake of other people. That is not a life. If a person wants to die and there is no other option (and yes, what is an other option? when are you out of options?)

I don't think it's very humane to call that person selfish for wanting to end his/her suffering.

The suffering the friends and family will experience is most likely just a fraction of the pain that is needed to consider suicide in the first place.

It's a touchy subject however.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Mar 15, 2011,
You are just hurting other people around you, my friend once tried to kill herself like 3 months ago before I knew her, now I wouldn't know what I would do without her, I could have never known her if she killed herself, one of her friends called the police and they stopped her, scary to think about it.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Hate it if you want, but when all you care about is your own pain and give no thought to who or what you leave behind, you're selfish and weak. That's my opinion.

Also - I can see this thread being closed in about five minutes.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
My Uncle did it, and my best friend went through this "emotional" phase in his life due to personal problems as well. I'm still not really sure what to think. Of course you get angry and think that it's selfish, but you don't really know what they're going through, do you?

It's just a sad thing, really, and kind of a touchy topic. I shall just continue feeling bad for the people that do try and do it, and not think too much about it. Personally I don't think I'd ever think of ending my own life, but who knows? I've never really been in a bad spot.
:3
i think sometimes they honestly believe that the world would be better without them, so it can be entirely selfless.
now extra flamey
Quote by Kensai

I feel fine talking about it. It's subjective really. If I'm using the proper term of course.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
It goes either way. Sure, you're leaving everyone who loved you miserable, but you obviously had some problems that you couldn't live with anymore. I see it as an escape for some.
We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal;
A generation born to witness
The end of the world

Quote by strat0blaster
Hate it if you want, but when all you care about is your own pain and give no thought to who or what you leave behind, you're selfish and weak. That's my opinion.

Also - I can see this thread being closed in about five minutes

I don't see why. I'm asking what people think of it. I put my opinion. People put theirs. That's what most of this forum is.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Quote by mrfinkle213
I see it as an escape for some.

oh really?
It depends on the circumstances of each case, but in general the people committing suicide have a lot of stress and psychological problems and they feel helpless. Typically they aren't able to think rationally about their situation and they think there's no way to ameliorate their predicament. It's not selfish in my mind because there's no malicious intent, they're suffering and they don't know any other way to escape that pain.
Quote by Kensai

I was going to discuss it, but then I saw the first response, and now I agree with Kensai. I'll just saw it's a tragedy.
Every person has the right to give up, and that is something that no-one will ever be able to take away.

It hurts like hell for those they leave behind though.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Can't it be considered just as selfish for the friends/family to want the person to live on if the person is in obvious pain and is suffering. They should live on for the sake of not hurting them by dying. I find that just as selfish.
Quote by Kensai

Kensai speaks the truth.

Yeah it would obviously be preferable if they got help...but they're mentally unwell; they honestly don't feel like they CAN get help. Don't judge them for it, try to feel some compassion instead. ESPECIALLY for teenagers - your brain's still developing, your reasoning capabilities are not yet fully mature, you're pumped full of crazy hormones...add a mental illness like depression, or even just some bad events, to that person's life, and they're not necessarily going to be able to take advantage of coping mechanisms like asking for help.

It's sad, yes...but invalidating their emotions and their mental health by saying it's stupid or whatever isn't very helpful. The best way to help is to make sure the people around you know they can talk to you, and make yourself available to help them if they need it. If you think someone's suffering, you can always ask them, too - let them know you care. It goes a long way. Encourage them to seek professional help, by all means, but be their friend, too. Feeling alone in the world or like you can't trust anyone just exacerbates those suicidal feelings.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Life has no true value beyond life itself. I believe death is the ultimate form of freedom (personal views on life, the universe and everything - dont hate)

I can understand why somebody would want to do it, esspecially if they suffer from a lot of teenage angst. I do believe it is a little selfish because you are causing pain to the 'living'.

I can't comprehend why someone would actually want to go trough with it. I feel that it's often an impulse reaction to your emotions you obviousely can't control or rationalize.

that said, you can't be forced to keep on living (as some guy before me said) if you really feel theres nothing to live for. But I don't know anyone who has absolutely nothing to live for.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Can't it be considered just as selfish for the friends/family to want the person to live on if the person is in obvious pain and is suffering. They should live on for the sake of not hurting them by dying. I find that just as selfish.

Exactly. I don't quite find it selfish.

I don't think that a person should do it though, without trying to get help. They should at least think of all the things they could do, and learn etc. They should at least try and understand the value of a human life. If they don't want to in the end, and just want to give up, then fine.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
well all that's handy dandy, but...

what if you "bring great dishonor to your family!"?
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Quote by skylerjames13
Exactly. I don't quite find it selfish.

I don't think that a person should do it though, without trying to get help. They should at least think of all the things they could do, and learn etc. They should at least try and understand the value of a human life. If they don't want to in the end, and just want to give up, then fine.

But that's the point, most of them just look at the bad things and ignore all the good things around them and the people that want to help them.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
I've wanted to a few times, but I'm too much of a pussy to do it...

Some people just don't know any other way to deal
I don't really know what to think about it. One of my friends committed suicide last year (I don't know if it counts as suicide, but he did things that brought him closer to death so I guess it does) and a lot of people said he was dumb for doing it because he would've gotten better. But it's hard to wait and live with something that hurts so I guess I can see why he did it. It's tough for other people, but the person who did it is probably always worse off than others around them. Which is why they did it in the first place.
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Mar 15, 2011,
Quote by esther_mouse
Kensai speaks the truth.

Yeah it would obviously be preferable if they got help...but they're mentally unwell; they honestly don't feel like they CAN get help. Don't judge them for it, try to feel some compassion instead. ESPECIALLY for teenagers - your brain's still developing, your reasoning capabilities are not yet fully mature, you're pumped full of crazy hormones...add a mental illness like depression, or even just some bad events, to that person's life, and they're not necessarily going to be able to take advantage of coping mechanisms like asking for help.

It's sad, yes...but invalidating their emotions and their mental health by saying it's stupid or whatever isn't very helpful. The best way to help is to make sure the people around you know they can talk to you, and make yourself available to help them if they need it. If you think someone's suffering, you can always ask them, too - let them know you care. It goes a long way. Encourage them to seek professional help, by all means, but be their friend, too. Feeling alone in the world or like you can't trust anyone just exacerbates those suicidal feelings.

That isn't what I quite meant. I think it's stupid that they don't try to get help. And then I know they don't think they can get help. I should have stated that. That was my fault.

I just think that if they are suicidal, they should express it. That way, someone can try and help them. They can show them the great things in life, and why they should cherish life, while they still have it, you know?
They should show they are suicidal, so they can receive help. If they get better, then good job for them. If they don't, then I guess death would be their preferred option.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Everyone always thinks of it as horrible and not worth it but some people just have no choice. Life isn't fair, some people end up in bad situations and some don't. That's just how it is, unfortunately.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by skylerjames13
That isn't what I quite meant. I think it's stupid that they don't try to get help. And then I know they don't think they can get help. I should have stated that. That was my fault.

I just think that if they are suicidal, they should express it. That way, someone can try and help them. They can show them the great things in life, and why they should cherish life, while they still have it, you know?
They should show they are suicidal, so they can receive help. If they get better, then good job for them. If they don't, then I guess death would be their preferred option.

I don't think anyone wants to look suicidal, it will lead to gossip and people will talk trash about that person and stuff, I think most of them try to make things look like they are normal, this friend I mentioned earlier I talk to every day, she sometimes writes to me that she wish that her friend hadn't stopped her from killing herself, then next day at school she is all happy and cheerful and stuff.
Quote by tattyreagh

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
When you're depressed like that you simply don't believe that even if you did ask for help that anyone would give a ****. You don't talk to anyone because you can't talk to anyone, or at least you believe you can't.
I don't think it's some to really judge and generalize into one post. Every case is different than others. Maybe some are selfish, some aren't selfish at all ("They'd be better off without me" mentality), but I really can't make one big blanket statement on that.

I seriously hate when people say that suicide is inherently stupid or selfish.
Quote by guitarxo
I don't really know what to think about it. One of my friends committed suicide last year (I don't know if it counts as suicide, but he did things that brought him closer to death so I guess it does) and a lot of people said he was dumb for doing it because he would've gotten better. But it's hard to wait and live with something that hurts so I guess I can see why he did it.

I'm sorry

GbAdimDb5m7
But that's the point, most of them just look at the bad things and ignore all the good things around them and the people that want to help them.

Unfortunately, that is true. It would help if they could try and open their eyes, and appreciate things. I know that was very stupid sounding, but I hope you understand what I mean. If they tried the option of living, and seeing how it goes and if they like it or not, then it would be more acceptable to choose death.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Quote by btones
I've wanted to a few times, but I'm too much of a pussy to do it...

same here brah...
Quote by falconthefirst
Everyone always thinks of it as horrible and not worth it but some people just have no choice. Life isn't fair, some people end up in bad situations and some don't. That's just how it is, unfortunately.

African childeren don't have particulary fair odds... it's all relative.

How bad of a situation can you be in that there is no getting out of? You can always ask for help. We live in a very closed of culture where we have everything and are supposed to be happy, so if you are not you might feel emberassement and fear exposing yourself and your emotions.

blame our society, aye...

in all seriousness, there are so many variables to account for. You can't ever really understand what drove people to that edge.
Quote by Local666Union
Suicide is an extreme form of attention whoring.

0/10
Quote by Local666Union
Suicide is an extreme form of attention whoring.

So wrong, so very very wrong.
Quote by tattyreagh

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
This thread pops up every 2-3 months, and devolves into an absolute shitstorm. Someone will come in here and start trolling; everyone else will get offended, and an angry clusterfuck of flaming will take over. It's going to get closed by the second or third page, always does.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Page 1 of 5