I'm currently having my amp retubed with JJs and this will hopefully remove some of the brittle sharp tone of the amp. I play the amp clean using a ts808 and bb preamp for overdrive. It would be great if the amp's overdrive channel could be brought up to scratch. I want a smooth tone form the amp. i also want big clean headroom for medium un mic'd gigs.

The question would a speaker upgrade (i've heard bad things about the stock one) help and if so which one?

Browsing forums many suggest a celestion vintage 30, weber 12f150 or a jenson p12n. Can people give me a rough guide to each of there tonal characteristics or which one would be best for me?
Fender Vintage Hot Rod 62 Stratocastor
Ibanez Artcore AS-103NT
->
TC Polytune
Xotic BB Preamp
Ibanez TS 808
Red Witch Empress
EHX Deluxe Memory Man XO
Carl Martin Hydra Boost
->
Fender Blues Deluxe
The Vintage 30 is very "Icepick" like in the hi's. Not my cup of tea.
The Jenson and the weber I have no experiance with. I have heard good things about weber depending on the model, but nothig about the Jensen.
If you want the V30 look into Avatar's Hellatone 60, it is the V30 made by Celestion, with a slightly diffrent cone and they "break in" the speaker. All I have heard is good things about them, and they are only $99 each.
You might also want to consider Eminence, I swear by them now. There Governor speaker is based off the V30 but the top end is not as brittle.
The Private Jack is based off the Celestion Green Back but has a higher wattage, 50 I belive. They also have the Legend GB 128 that is another Green back clone that it a little deeper voiced. And Eminence is an American company that makes everything in th USA. For less than $90 each VS. $135+ each for made in China.
WGS is another great speaker company that is much less pricey .
Hope this helps!
a vintage 30 would sound like the celestion blue speaker that was used in early 60s vox AC30s
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
yeah avoid the v30.

Assuming you want to accentuate (or at least not completely obliterate) the fendery voicing of your amp.

Personally I'd get something american voiced, but I don't really have any experience with american-voiced speakers- hear good things about weber, eminence and the like, but haven't tried them.

Quote by championguitar
a vintage 30 would sound like the celestion blue speaker that was used in early 60s vox AC30s

LOLWUT?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 15, 2011,
Quote by Robbgnarly
And Eminence is an American company that makes everything in th USA. For less than $90 each VS. $135+ each for made in China.!

Celestion V30s are $99 each from Avatar Speakers, and they give you discounts if you order them in larger quantities (don't quote me but I think its like $185 for 2 and $360 for 4).

And the whole "made in China" thing isn't 100% true. There are two versions of the V30 - a 60 watt version (which I believe is the one made in China) and a 70 watt version (which I believe is the one made in the UK).

And the whole "Made in the USA" thing is overrated because most, if not all of the components used to make the speakers in the USA come from overseas. To say they are assembled in the USA would be more accurate.
thanks for the advice. I live in the UK so i need the speaker to be available here. i believe the jenson is used in the 'classic' fender amps. I'll wait for a verdict on the weber and check on the governor.
Ibanez Artcore AS-103NT
->
TC Polytune
Xotic BB Preamp
Ibanez TS 808
Red Witch Empress
EHX Deluxe Memory Man XO
Carl Martin Hydra Boost
->
Fender Blues Deluxe
the governor is in the "red coat" series, doesn't that make it British voiced?
Ibanez Artcore AS-103NT
->
TC Polytune
Xotic BB Preamp
Ibanez TS 808
Red Witch Empress
EHX Deluxe Memory Man XO
Carl Martin Hydra Boost
->
Fender Blues Deluxe
Quote by NobleT
the governor is in the "red coat" series, doesn't that make it British voiced?

Its modeled after the V30 which is British voiced.
ah ok.

It depends on where you are, but I'm in NI, and I find that I can often get eminence (and even tayden, which is bizarre as they're made in the UK) cheaper from e.g. thomann or tubetown, because their postage is cheaper to Northern Ireland than the UK stockists' (which tend to take the piss with NI postage). Obviously if you live in England that might not be an issue for you (obviously check the prices just in case thomann or tubetown is cheaper).

Watford valves stocks weber, but they're frickin' expensive (plus, as far as i'm aware, their prices don't include VAT, so add 20% on to those already expensive prices ).

Anyway, here are some links for stockists:

http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/ (stock eminence, tayden and celestion- probably only eminence would apply if you want US-voiced speakers)

http://www.watfordvalves.com/home.asp (stocks jensen, tayden, celestion, weber- as i said, i don't think prices include VAT)

http://www.hotroxuk.com/ (stocks celestion, jensen)

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?browsemode=manufacturer&manufacturer=Eminence (stocks eminence)

http://www.thomann.de/gb/index.html?sid=daa819c3760cb31d11862b2b3003e1f4 (based in germany- free postage to UK with orders over 200 euro though. Stocks eminence, jensen, celestion (UK dealers will probably be cheaper for celestion))

http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/ (also based in germany, has fairly cheap international postage, though- stocks eminence, celestion (as thomann, cheaper to get in UK probably), tayden, electrovoice)

EDIT: yeah the jensens were used in classic fenders, but it's not the same company as the one which made the classic jensens... the better jensens are now made in italy, back in the day (far as i'm aware) it was an american company. I've heard a lot of people say that modern jensens aren't that great (though to be fair I've heard a few say they are good- but more seem to be saying they're not amazing, lol). Just as a heads-up. Plus people like eminence and weber will be making clones or close copies of those vintage jensens, anyway- their models may be closer to vintage jensens than today's jensen speakers, lol.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 15, 2011,