Hey guys,
I'm building a bass in school, ash body with a maple neck rosewood fretboard. Using a pre-existing neck. I'm thinking I'd like to use humbuckers in it, since i love that growling bass sound. Also leaning towards EMGs, since they're fairly cost efficient, and i'm about to bet on my chunk of ash from a small town lumber yard sound impeccable. Also keep in mind the its a medium scale bass, 32' or 32.5 if i remember correctly.
Should i go for the MM style pickup?
http://www.emgpickups.com/products/category/37/2
Or a standard style humbucker? http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/75/27/2

I plan on only using one pickup, and i must say i was inspired to go the HB route by a bass with a MM style pickup in it. Love the growl.
Also-- will i have much trouble finding the 'sweet spot' on a shorter scale bass? Any other suggestions are welcome!
PRS CE22
PRS SE Santana
Fender Spalted Maple Tele
Squier Affinity Tele w.mods
Mesa Boogie Mark IV Combo + 212 Recto Cab
Homemade Ash Bass
BBE Two Timer
DUNLOP Wah
BOSS GE-7
KORG Pitchblack
MXR Dyna Comp

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Can't go wrong with MM and their are cheaper alternatives to that style like guitarfetish if you're picking the EMGs solely because of cost.

Just remember, a lot of the MM sound most people like comes from a preamp. Are you planning on making the bass active or keeping it passive? A passive MM pup still puts out a cool sound, but not necessarily the one people think of when they think of a stingray.
It sounds to me you're leaning more towards an MM style humbucker, so I'd say go with that.

As far as finding the sweet spot, I'd suggest having a hunt round the Ernie Ball Musicman forums, there should be quite a lot of info on there as far as the sweet spot is concerned.

Edit: ^ I'd still quite a lot of it depends on the pickup. itself. A passive Stingray style bass still sounds a Stingray. I agree that a lot of the aggresiveness is added by the pre amp, but you can still get a distinctive Stingray-esque tone with passive electronics.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
it will def. be active. i have an 18 volt mod already wired up too, that i was gonna install in an old jackson (ended up selling it instead.) I'm thinking EMGs because (as much as i hate the guitar pickups) i've always liked active bass, and i have to admit EMGs are pretty sturdy. not really something i worry about going downhill, lots of people use them so that if i need info/advice i won't be searching for hours on end, and they've always tended to sound pretty good to me (bass wise..)
PRS CE22
PRS SE Santana
Fender Spalted Maple Tele
Squier Affinity Tele w.mods
Mesa Boogie Mark IV Combo + 212 Recto Cab
Homemade Ash Bass
BBE Two Timer
DUNLOP Wah
BOSS GE-7
KORG Pitchblack
MXR Dyna Comp

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey