I can't really afford a teacher right now, neither do I have the time, have exams.

I started just... attempting to sing along to my favourite songs, obviously I failed completely cause I listen to metal in which operatic vocals are used. But I'm just practicing singing quite much, if it can be called practice. Just singing along to my favourite songs, not just metal. A few times I recorded myself, mosty it sounds like shit. But better than a month a go I'd say.

So will this way of just sing your songs get me somewhere? And when can I really expect to have made some progress if it does?
It will definitely make you better, just singing along with your favourite songs. Though exercises to develop the right tehcnique, will at some point be necessary.
Let it be known that I'm not singer, but when I try I usually try to plug one ear and then sing. For some reason, I find I can hear the key that my voice is in better and I know if it needs to be raised or not.
Not sure if it will help at all or if its a bad habit that I got into, but it works for when I practice.
Quote by pimpslap1236
the cops will lie to you. accept it. believing things they say is the intellectual equivalent of sticking your dick in a pencil sharpener.

R.I.P Samantha
Quote by Courchesne
Let it be known that I'm not singer, but when I try I usually try to plug one ear and then sing. For some reason, I find I can hear the key that my voice is in better and I know if it needs to be raised or not.
Not sure if it will help at all or if its a bad habit that I got into, but it works for when I practice.

Not a bad habit, Good advice.
I took vocal lessons for a year and had to quit for financial reasons, so I'm by no means an expert. Also, I'm not saying that the plugging one ear tactic is a bad idea, but my voice coach never had me do it. An extremely useful (and free!) aid is doing different vocal warm ups. Youtube has a plethora of videos to help you out. My advice is to search around until you find some that help you out. Also, if I want to sing along to a song, I'll turn it down a little, so my voice is slightly louder than the music playing.

After that, as long as you don't damage your vocal cords, you'll only improve. Hope this could help
You'll definitely improve your pitch, and probably, your range somewhat.

But to improve tone, projection, and to make full use of your range, you need to learn technique, and most of us mortals need someone to help us with that.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.