i would say im intermediate, but anyone know of any good songs i can learn that awesome shredding technique with so i can advance?

pretty vague i know, but any suggestion would be cool
If you're an intermediate and looking to play metal try learning the lead AND rhythm guitar parts from the "Rust In Peace" album by Megadeth.
Paul Gilbert. I seem to manage to suggest him no matter what the question, but still.
Even though his stuff is by no means intermediate, or the majority of it isn't, it's some good stuff to aim for, even if you only learn small sections of his songs.
Technical Difficulties really tests your alternate picking for one, and that's definitely an important thing in shred. It's easy enough to play scales at triplet semiquavers at 120bpm if you play legato - picking it is what you really should aim for.
Generel hint: Don't pick a song that is too hard.. you may learn a lot from it.. but if it takes you a week to master the first riff, then you will never finish.. so pick something where you can learn the whole song in a week or two.. better with something a little too easy which you then learn fast.. than get stuck on some song that is very hard for 2 months...
Dutc tape solves all up to equations of 4. degree

Bugera 333xl
Peavey 5150 Cab
TC Electronics G-major
RG1527 w/ Dimarzio X2n-7 and Evo-7
Kramer Voyager
Ltd JH-600 w/ 2 emg 81, floyd rose and S and key inlays
Fender Classic 50 strat
Quote by dopelope
Paul Gilbert- Technical Difficulties

Good luck.

Humm, I disagree. I love Paul, and yes, this is a very challenging song, but it really isn't that difficult.

You want full bore shred? Shoot for Cacophony with Jason Becker. Try Concerto.
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
okay, so technical difficulties is one of those songs that Roopel was talking about :S
any less difficult but a lot to learn from type songs you guys can suggest?

i guess intermediate is another thing, i learned arpeggio sweeps like 2 weeks ago but i want to step it the hell up
What kind of player you wanna be? metal Lead guitar player ish thing? or more a hard rock thing (paul gilbert here being hard rock)?

Bugera 333xl
Peavey 5150 Cab
TC Electronics G-major
Kramer Voyager
Fender Classic 50 strat
Quote by SKArface McDank
anyone know of any good scales that could get me started?

No because there are no scales with which you can just shred. Either you can shred or you need to practice until you can.

Anyway, if you want songs that take technique to play then I assume you listen to that kind of music so why not learn something you actually want to learn instead of asking someone else?

If you don't listen to music that takes technique then why play it? If you don't even listen to it you'll never be able to do a convincing repetition of the common ideas in the playing anyway...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well a good place to start for every hard rocker / metalhead is some good old metallica, the rhytm guitar is not to advanced, but there are a few harder riffs (especillaly in the faster songs).. Getting the downstrokes, palmmutes and tremolo picking down is pretty esential to playing metal. Also, Kirk hamnets is not a very good guitarist (technically) but practicing the shift between playing rhytm with all the palm mute and stuff and then go to some fast legato thing high up the neck is also a good thing to get down.

Then for the lead part of your practicing you need severel things:
Technical ability to Shred
knowlegde of scales and arpeggios
inspiration (place you want to take your soloing)
And very importent: Put it all together!

The two first of these comes from practicing scales aplying some technical thing you want to learn.

inspiration comes from listening to music AND trying to find out how to sound like that (But not allways knowing what the guitarist you want to sound like does). By this i mean you need to be able to hear with your ear when a guy is tapping, sweeping and using alternate picking, And have a rough idea if they are using scales, arpeggios or whatever...

Bugera 333xl
Peavey 5150 Cab
TC Electronics G-major
Kramer Voyager
Fender Classic 50 strat
Under A Glass Moon by Dream Theater wouldn't be a bad choice IMO. The solo incorporates fast alternate picking and sweep tapping.
Last edited by triface at Mar 16, 2011,
Quote by diofan88
Humm, I disagree. I love Paul, and yes, this is a very challenging song, but it really isn't that difficult.

I have to disagree with you here. Every note Paul plays on this one is dead on the beat, and the harmony parts are perfectly in synch. To my mind, if you can't play both parts with that dead on timing, you can't play Technical Difficulties.

IIRC, The Extremist by Joe Satriani isn't too tough, but I haven't played it in years. Maybe give that a try.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.