Ok so this Friday I have Interview at guitar center and I was wondering what questions would they ask me? I really need a job so if anybody can kind of help me out I would like that and I know alot of people say working at guitar center suck or what ever But i don't care my last job was cleaning bathrooms so I'm used to crappy jobs pun thanks again
Do you know stuff about guitars?
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
What guitars do you own/play (assuming you are being interviewd for a guitar-related position, not a drums or pro audio or somesuch)? Why do you want to work there? If you put any sort of foriegn language knowledge on your application, expect to be asked about that. They'll ask about your experiences with guitars (do you have any experience with, say, changing pickups and the like), about your schedule, and about you.
Previous experiences
What your weakness/strengths are. Make your negative a positive, i.e too much attention to detail... then prove it somehow
What you can bring to the team.

Those are the basics that catch people out if you don't plan ahead..

Might get asked music experience.. It depends on how much the employer cares about music.

Good luck bro
Quote by sedrick123
Ok so this Friday I have Interview at guitar center and I was wondering what questions would they ask me? I really need a job so if anybody can kind of help me out I would like that and I know alot of people say working at guitar center suck or what ever But i don't care my last job was cleaning bathrooms so I'm used to crappy jobs pun thanks again

Quote by Will Swanson
*friday*

quit spreading that bitch around so she'll slowly wither away into obscurity with the rest of her kind.
Are you aware of the position you're applying for? From my experience, the really smart dudes are semi-salesmen helping you pick out guitars. And everyone else gets thrown into accessories. Like I bought a pedal (Boss ME-70) from a guy in accessories at GC. I asked him if there was a special power cable for the ME-70 (since it's a big pedal and might require more power.) He answered, "Uhhh, I'm not sure. What do you think?" I just looked at him. "I'll go ask the manager." I waited 15 minutes for him to never come back and eventually left. So the lesson here is, you make more money if you know stuff.
Quote by Will Swanson

LMAO OH MAN!!!! i just saw that music video i think this is the only way i could even enjoy it
My Gear:

2010 Fender American Deluxe Sunburst Stratocaster HSS (1st Choice)
Ibanez RG 5EX1 (2nd Choice)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
Digitech Time Bender Delay
Boss BF-2 Flanger)
EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi
When I interviewed there, they did a group interview first and then called people back an hour or so later. The most important thing is how you carry yourself and your appearance. Because its a music store, they are a little more lenient about style, but still require you to groom yourself and not look like a scrub.

As far as carrying yourself goes, its a sales job. You need to be comfortable and confident talking about music and gear with complete stranger. If you can't do that, you will not be considered remotely. Be confident, smile, and speak up. That is the main reason my people at guitar center dont know as much as they should about product. They hire less knowledgeable people who have people skill over good guitarists.

In summary, it important to know about guitar, but since you are already going in, that means you passed their little test. Anything else, they will teach you about. The primary thing they are looking for is how you interact with people.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
If you're selling ANYTHING I'm 99% sure you'll be paid mostly in the form of commission, so you'll almost be in a war with the other employees, and if you don't know what you're selling inside out and someone else does, then you're gonna lose out on cash.

Also prepare to get a few complaints.
Quote by Moggan13

FUCK YEAH GHERKIN PALS!!

Yeah, I use a Squier Strat.
Quote by DecaPodge
If you're selling ANYTHING I'm 99% sure you'll be paid mostly in the form of commission, so you'll almost be in a war with the other employees, and if you don't know what you're selling inside out and someone else does, then you're gonna lose out on cash.

Also prepare to get a few complaints.

The pay system at GC is like this: you get minimum hourly. Here, that's $7.25 an hour. You have to sell enough products while working to cover the amount you make in wages. So, if you work four hours in a given period of time, you'll make 29 dollars on the hourly part. You'll need to sell enough in that timeframe to cover that 29 dollars. Whatever is left over you keep yourself. Pretty sure it's monthly, too.
I have been playing guitar for about 8 years now so I know a lot about guitars and I already knew about the commission thing but thank you all for your help It's means a lot to me lol FRY DAY
Quote by Flying Couch
The pay system at GC is like this: you get minimum hourly. Here, that's $7.25 an hour. You have to sell enough products while working to cover the amount you make in wages. So, if you work four hours in a given period of time, you'll make 29 dollars on the hourly part. You'll need to sell enough in that timeframe to cover that 29 dollars. Whatever is left over you keep yourself. Pretty sure it's monthly, too.

yup thats how they do it. And what happens is they force the new guys to do all the shit work like call customers, stock products, etc while they make all the sales. They get all the commissions and you get fired for not meeting your sales quota. Then they hire a new group of peons lining up to work at guitar center...

this practice is offensive to me, and I didn't even work there.

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
Quote by Flying Couch

So if you sell a $2000 guitar, you're rich? Sweet.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
Quote by GuitarViking
So if you sell a $2000 guitar, you're rich? Sweet.

its monthly though. 8 hours * 7.25 * 5 days a week * 4 weeks = 1160 in wages.

so you really only get 900 dollars in commission. You will have to sell a lot more than that to make above minimum wage (which you might if you work full time).

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
If they ask you about discounting Bose or Apple, say there is no problem no one will care. Trust me they will hire you right away.
I let you get away so cleanly.
I happen to know how the interview goes at GC:
Interviewer: So, do you have any experience with guitars?
You: Nah, I just think they're cool and want a job.
Interviewer: Hired!
you should talk about drums.
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.