I currently play a mim strat with single coils, and I am plugged into a vox da5. The tone is ok, but I am getting a Jackson Dinky with Duncan JBs. How much improvement in tone should I get? Can I get a heavier sound? Also would pinch harmonics, tapping, legato sound better with humbuckers?

I actually like the sound that I get from the Vox amp, and I can't get a halfstack, since I live in an apartment.
it'll definitely be a heavier sound. pinch harmonics and tapping should sound better since there'll be more output
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
It depends on too many factors for one of us to just say "Yes it will".

There are a great number of other parts to a guitar then just the Pickups that change the tone. With humbuckers you'll get a more bass heavy tone, instead of the smooth bright sound of the strat singlecoils. And that's about all you can say will change from a change in pickups.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Of course you could get a half-stack, you'd need just patient neighbors
On a serious note, you are going to need a better amp.. The Dinky will sound heavier on the Vox too, but I really doubt the sound's quality. Maybe you could check also Blackstar HT-1 or HT-5 to enhance your sound world. They're really good cheap tube practice amps and they can be loud too, but don't expect them to come over a loud-playing drummer.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Improvement is a subjective criteria, but the sound wil be significantly different.
there should be a fair bit of improvement, yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by elloel
Most of the tone comes from the amp dude.

Single coils still sound like single coils, even through a Diesel Herbert; the Dinky will undoubtedly sound heavier through *any* amp than the Strat.

This is what happens when people accept something that's been said without questioning it for a second.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I agree with the others. It will sound "different". More "metal"? Only your ears can tell you. Humbuckers sound bigger/fatter typically and they are less noisy (they buck the hum, as the name suggests). Also the placement in relation to the bridge will determine the frequencies the pickup picks up. You should probably get to a music store and try out what they have and see what sounds the most "metal" to you. I'll tell you, when I'm jamming on metal songs I always use a humbucker based guitar.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Single coils still sound like single coils, even through a Diesel Herbert; the Dinky will undoubtedly sound heavier through *any* amp than the Strat.

This is what happens when people accept something that's been said without questioning it for a second.

who says single coils can't be "metal" or sound "heavy"? this is subjective and therefore one can't "undoubtedly" sound more anything than the other. sure humbuckers are currently in vogue for "metal" but that doesn't mean that someone won't come along using single coils and change the way "heavy" is perceived.

OP while single coils are fine for some types of metal if you want to play the downtuned stuff that is popular today then humbuckers are a mosre suitable candidate.

by the way if i put my strat thru that Diesel i assure you that i could get a very "heavy" sound.
Quote by monwobobbo
who says single coils can't be "metal" or sound "heavy"? this is subjective and therefore one can't "undoubtedly" sound more anything than the other. sure humbuckers are currently in vogue for "metal" but that doesn't mean that someone won't come along using single coils and change the way "heavy" is perceived.

OP while single coils are fine for some types of metal if you want to play the downtuned stuff that is popular today then humbuckers are a mosre suitable candidate.

by the way if i put my strat thru that Diesel i assure you that i could get a very "heavy" sound.

I didn't say that single coils couldn't sound heavy, I said that humbuckers sound heavier. You're reading into what i say way too much, all I actually said was that no matter what amp you put them through single coils will sound like single coils which is perfectly true.

And if someone comes along and changes the common perception of it that's cool but since that's been the general opinion of the tonal qualities of each type of pickup for well over 50 years I'm not sure it's going to change any time soon.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Mar 16, 2011,
It should sound much heavier, the JB is a very high output pickups compared to whatever is in your strat.

That said, your amp isn't designed to play metal in the first place, so regardless of your guitar, you'll only get so far with that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

+1

When we say the tone is mostly in the amp, we're generally saying that to someone who's considering dropping $300 on a set of boutique handwound pickups when they have a 10 watt marshall MG.

Not the most efficient use of funds. We don't mean pickups make no difference, because they make a ton of difference, especially if you have a good amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 16, 2011,
Single coils sound "twangy", which is why Humbuckers (which don't have the "twang") are better suited for metal, for most people.

So yes, the Jb will sound heavier, and not have that "twang" characteristic the single coil had.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Single coils sound "twangy", which is why Humbuckers (which don't have the "twang") are better suited for metal, for most people.

So yes, the Jb will sound heavier, and not have that "twang" characteristic the single coil had.

god i hate this line of thinking. dude check my profile for the song From Beyond, do you hear any twang?

newsflash to some of you there are higher output single coils than standard strat pickups. i'd also like to point out that on high gain amps you do eventually hit a point where you aren't getting any more distortion just mush regardless of pickups used. some have mistaken "heavy" for tons of bass which isn't necessarily true.

i'll freely admit that if you want a bass heavy sound then humbuckers are the way to go , however that isn't all there is to a heavy sound in my opinion. in the 70s (and yes i realize that was before most posters here were born) Deep Purple was the loudest band in the world (guiness book of records) and considered very "heavy" sound wise. ritchie of course used a strat. in the 60s you'd be hard pressed to find any bands (except perhaps Cream) that were heavier than Hendrix who once again used a strat. point being that the definition of heavy wasn't always just applied to humbuckers. by today's metal standard sure those bands aren't heavy any more but we'll see in 20 years how many of today's bands are still highly regarded. (oh and for the record i'm not just an old fart that stays in the past, i'm just as happy listening to Symphony X as i am in listening to the bands i've mentioned.)
Quote by monwobobbo
god i hate this line of thinking. dude check my profile for the song From Beyond, do you hear any twang?

newsflash to some of you there are higher output single coils than standard strat pickups. i'd also like to point out that on high gain amps you do eventually hit a point where you aren't getting any more distortion just mush regardless of pickups used. some have mistaken "heavy" for tons of bass which isn't necessarily true.

i'll freely admit that if you want a bass heavy sound then humbuckers are the way to go , however that isn't all there is to a heavy sound in my opinion. in the 70s (and yes i realize that was before most posters here were born) Deep Purple was the loudest band in the world (guiness book of records) and considered very "heavy" sound wise. ritchie of course used a strat. in the 60s you'd be hard pressed to find any bands (except perhaps Cream) that were heavier than Hendrix who once again used a strat. point being that the definition of heavy wasn't always just applied to humbuckers. by today's metal standard sure those bands aren't heavy any more but we'll see in 20 years how many of today's bands are still highly regarded. (oh and for the record i'm not just an old fart that stays in the past, i'm just as happy listening to Symphony X as i am in listening to the bands i've mentioned.)

What he has is a standard MIM strat. They're not the higher output SC's that you mentioned.
So what we have here is me using the pickups in his strat as an example, and you using yours as an example. Who's pickups matter more, yours or his.
Why do most people think there's no in-between-step between a low watt modelling combo and a half stack?
Quote by musicandthewave
I actually like the sound that I get from the Vox amp, and I can't get a halfstack, since I live in an apartment.

How does living in an apartment keep you from having a half stack? You don't have to turn it to "11" when you use it (although tube amps do sound better turned up, but it's not required to get a good sound).
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
What he has is a standard MIM strat. They're not the higher output SC's that you mentioned.
So what we have here is me using the pickups in his strat as an example, and you using yours as an example. Who's pickups matter more, yours or his.

no, what we have here is you making a general statement about single coil pickups. at no time did you mention the OP guitar or any particular single coils pickups. you said single coil pickups' i responded to what i perceived as a misleading statement. perhaps your above comment is what you meant but it isn't what you said.

to answer your ? neither as that wasn't what he originally asked about however it does present another option.
Quote by monwobobbo
no, what we have here is you making a general statement about single coil pickups. at no time did you mention the OP guitar or any particular single coils pickups. you said single coil pickups' i responded to what i perceived as a misleading statement. perhaps your above comment is what you meant but it isn't what you said.

Yeah, I was basically concentrating on his type of pickups, and not making a generalization about ALL single coils, sorry that there was confusion.
But when I posted, I thought it would be easier to concentrate on comparing HIS single coils compared to a JB. I mean, why talk about other single coils when he wants to know mainly about the difference between HIS current Single Coils and the JB that's gonna be in his Dinky, and if it would be good for heavy music?

Quote by monwobobbo
to answer your ? neither as that wasn't what he originally asked about however it does present another option.

He asked if the JB would sound heavier than his stock Single Coil's. I answered "Yes".
But I also told him that the JB wouldnt have the "twang" sound that comes in most strat guitars, like his. And as a Metal guitarist myself, the single coils wouldn't sound the best for that type of music. But that's just my opinion.
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Yeah, I was basically concentrating on his type of pickups, and not making a generalization about ALL single coils, sorry that there was confusion.
But when I posted, I thought it would be easier to concentrate on comparing HIS single coils compared to a JB. I mean, why talk about other single coils when he wants to know mainly about the difference between HIS current Single Coils and the JB that's gonna be in his Dinky, and if it would be good for heavy music?

He asked if the JB would sound heavier than his stock Single Coil's. I answered "Yes".
But I also told him that the JB wouldnt have the "twang" sound that comes in most strat guitars, like his. And as a Metal guitarist myself, the single coils wouldn't sound the best for that type of music. But that's just my opinion.

no problem, it just makes me a little nuts when people say single coils can't do metal. i play metal as well and have been doing so for a great number of years.

side note: i see you're a big randy rhoads fan. i meet randy back in 81. ozzy's first US show was in my hometown (rochester NY) and ozzy did a autograph session at the House Of Guitars. while i was hanging out waiting to meet ozzy my buddy started to talk to this blond guy that was hanging out as well. he never said who he was but seemed to enjoy just having a regular conversation with fellow guitar players. we didn't figure it out until a few weeks later when we saw some close up pix of randy and holy shit that was the guy we were talking to. the concert was awesome as well.
Quote by monwobobbo
no problem, it just makes me a little nuts when people say single coils can't do metal. i play metal as well and have been doing so for a great number of years.

side note: i see you're a big randy rhoads fan. i meet randy back in 81. ozzy's first US show was in my hometown (rochester NY) and ozzy did a autograph session at the House Of Guitars. while i was hanging out waiting to meet ozzy my buddy started to talk to this blond guy that was hanging out as well. he never said who he was but seemed to enjoy just having a regular conversation with fellow guitar players. we didn't figure it out until a few weeks later when we saw some close up pix of randy and holy shit that was the guy we were talking to. the concert was awesome as well.

yeah, single coils can definitely do metal. It got no problem with them and am actually thinking of getting an american strat with an SSS layout in the near future. It's just that Most Metal guitar player prefer the humuckers for the tone and lack of hum.

Anyways, Holy Crap!!! You actually went to Ozzy's first US show with Randy on guitar?
Man, if I was alive at that time, I highly doubt I would have missed at least one of his shows. Randy was, and still is (with all the music he left the world), a genius.
It just sucks that I'll never see him play in person.
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
yeah, single coils can definitely do metal. It got no problem with them and am actually thinking of getting an american strat with an SSS layout in the near future. It's just that Most Metal guitar player prefer the humuckers for the tone and lack of hum.

Anyways, Holy Crap!!! You actually went to Ozzy's first US show with Randy on guitar?
Man, if I was alive at that time, I highly doubt I would have missed at least one of his shows. Randy was, and still is (with all the music he left the world), a genius.
It just sucks that I'll never see him play in person.

yes i did indeed go to the 1st US ozzy show. one of the few advantages to being older i guess (seen tons of great shows and met alot of rock stars). funny thing and hard to imagine but at that time ozzy wasn't very big and was viewed as a has been. the show was at a 2000 seat auditorium (although i think it did sell out).

if you get a strat then look into lace sensor pickups. no hum. they also have higher output pickup models that retain the single coils sound but do metal really well. they came stock in my 88 strat plus deluxe and personally i really love them.
you're going to be playing through so much gain and compression that it's not going to make a difference, don't buy into the hype
lolwut?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?