So I went to guitar center and was gonna buy some 5 string blue steels. Unfortunately they were out so the guy recommended GHS Bass roundwound boomers. These strings seem to be a be a smaller gauge than my previous ones but the my 5th string (B) won't fit into the bridge. It appears as if it gets fatter right at the part you would put into the bridge. What do I do?
You could use a metal file to widen the gap at the bridge.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
^yup

Get to filing, I've used a dremel to tackle the same problem. Just make sure you smooth everything out nicely when you're done; you don't want to leave a barb that will keep breaking your strings.

I'm assuming you mean the hole you feed it through, not the gap in the actual saddle. Either way, a file takes care of business.
Quote by Rawshik
Okay are there any other options? I'm not exactly a craftsman.

You could go buy an individual B-string with smaller winding at the bottom from a music shop.

No craftsman skills required though if you're worried. It's easy as pie.
Quote by Rawshik
Okay well this is what my bridge looks like.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u22/Rawshik/DSCN0745.jpg

How would I file it and where would I file it?

Is it that it can't fit into the bridge at all or it just doesn't fit into the groove on the saddle?

If it doesn't fit at all, you'd widen the opening behind the b-string saddle by filing down the metal sides there enough that the string would fit through, but the ball end is still securely snug.

Since you don't have round holes to feed it through, I'd get a flat file and just evenly wear down both sides. With the black coating on your bridge, you might do some cosmetic damage though, so a little touch up work might be necessary if you care about looks quite a bit or want to sell it as mint.

If all that's too much work or not worth changing the bass, I say head on down and buy that individual b-string.
It fits everywhere else. The only problem is it appears as if the string was coiled extra at the very tip to keep it from breaking I guess and so it's fatter right there and won't fit, but everything else is fine.

What if I just took it to guitar center? How would they help?
Quote by Rawshik
It fits everywhere else. The only problem is it appears as if the string was coiled extra at the very tip to keep it from breaking I guess and so it's fatter right there and won't fit, but everything else is fine.

What if I just took it to guitar center? How would they help?

They'd try to lube it up (which I don't think would work if it's not close to fitting) file things out, or sell you a new string or bridge.

I don't know what their rates are, but at most shops I've been to, some minor 10-minute work like filing the bridge would probably be under $15 and thus cheaper than buying the tools for it if you don't have them and don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Mar 16, 2011,