Well, just a few moments ago, I plugged my guitar in my computer (guitar->amp->PC). For a few recordings, everything went well. After a few recordings, the recorded signal becomes more silent and applies a flanger effect to itself. Anyone have an idea what's wrong?
Gear :

Jackson JS32T King V
Vox VT40+
Stagg C542
On the amp, I use the PHONE/REC OUT jack and on the PC I use the mic jack on the front.
Gear :

Jackson JS32T King V
Vox VT40+
Stagg C542
I had this problem, or one very like it, when I got a new laptop.

Beware the default settings on your soundcard. Manufacturers are putting crappy reverb and bass boost effects on the sound input by DEFAULT - I suppose it's for karaoke programs or whatever.

Perhaps something like this has become activated somehow.

Go into control panel, sound and audio devices and disable any effect like this on the soundcard.
Last edited by Jehannum at Mar 16, 2011,
I think I know what u mean. once I had a flanging quiet mic signal, too. i checked the adjustments for the mic input in the control panel, don't remember what the exact problem was, though.
I had the same problem. Do you have Skype installed? I had to reinstall Skype for mine to work again.
Quote by RockinPajamas
I had the same problem. Do you have Skype installed? I had to reinstall Skype for mine to work again.

I don't see how that would affect it, but I'll try.
Gear :

Jackson JS32T King V
Vox VT40+
Stagg C542
i wont say for sure, but the rec out on the amp is probably a line level signal. and the mic input is expecting a mic level signal. could be you are overloading/have overloaded the input. if you have a line in on your soundcard, try that.

but be warned, stock soundcards arent really meant for recording like this. more often than not, the results arent really all that great.
I've never used my soundcard for recording...
But I can give you something to try.
I have the holy shit expensive Creative X-Fi Soundblaster sound card. In the on-screen mixer for it, I can switch the input from Mic-in to Line-in and vice versa. I can also switch it to an output as well, but that doesn't relate to your question.
Perhaps see if you have something like this. Check the Control Panel for anything sound related.

What computer do you have?
..I was watching my death.
^I'm just gonna take a wild guess and read what's written under properties, when I right-click My Computer.
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz 2.99GHz, 1 GB of RAM Windows XP
Before you say anything, I do realize it's not a PC to be proud of.

I checked everything in Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices, but nothing like you mentioned came up.
Gear :

Jackson JS32T King V
Vox VT40+
Stagg C542
Bump. I'd still appreciate a solution to this. That is, if there is a solution other than buying another soundcard.

EDIT: However, if there is no other solution, then I'd like a few suggestions on what soundcard should I get, price etc.
Gear :

Jackson JS32T King V
Vox VT40+
Stagg C542