Page 1 of 2
You guys seen the latest on this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12754883

Man. They can't catch a break.

When I first read about this, I figured it was the usual media blowing shit out of proportion, but this is actually happening.

(There's only a thread about the tsunami, and one about jingoism or some shit. >.>
"Levelled up. Still no solos."
[img]http://sc2sig.com/s/eu/1405270-1.png[/img]
Ehm, this has been going on the last 4 days. What rock have you been under? Also, there's a big thread about the disaster in Japan somewhere.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
It depends how you define disaster and "media blowing shit out of proportion" but I would say this has been and still is being blown out of proportion.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by gunsnroses#1
Two words...
Fallout: Japan

Fun.
Quote by TheBurningFish
It depends how you define disaster and "media blowing shit out of proportion" but I would say this has been and still is being blown out of proportion.

Yes, they're calling fire just from a whisp of smoke, but it is legit in terms of seriousness. They're taking iodine pills atm now because of the possibilities of radiation poisoning.
1996 Fender American Telecaster
Schecter Omen 6
VOX AC-15
Alvarez PF2005
1985 PROCO RAT II
BOSS DS-1, DD3, SD-1, TU-3, NS-2
Danelectro Overdrive
Jimi Hendrix Wah
EHX LPB-1
MXR Supercomp
If anyone asks me for an example of sensationalism this is my number 1 example.
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Is it being exaggerated? Yes.
Is it still a pretty important issue? Definitely.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Last edited by DonGlover at Mar 15, 2011,
I'm just going to leave this here:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/12/world/asia/the-explosion-at-the-japanese-reactor.html?ref=asia

People seem to misunderstand what a meltdown entails. This is very unlikely to be a Chernobyl style disaster, Nuclear plants have crazy safety precautions.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
latest,

Japanese news agency Kyodo reports that the storage pool in reactor four - where the spent fuel rods are kept - may be boiling. Tepco says readings are showing high levels of radiation in the building, so it is inaccessible.
Swedish media started talking about a volcano that definitely is going to have a major wake-up explosion. No other media has covered this at all. This swedish media however is the absolutely worst newspaper I've seen. Yet I find myself reading it far too often.
Quote by TheBurningFish

I know people there. It's not.

And the volcano mentioned above - Shinmoedake - erupted yesterday. It's on Kyushu island.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Mar 15, 2011,
Quote by strat0blaster

Forgive me if that reads like a complete non sequitur, pardon?
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by strat0blaster

So do I. It partly. But no reason to not be alarmed.

The threat of bigger queakes closer to Tokyo and the current situation with the nuclear reactors make it for some pretty ****ing big disaster as it is.
Whole lot of denial here.

No one is saying it's gonna explode or anything.

But it's looking more and more likely that the nuclear reactors will be rendered unusuable.

That in itself would be pretty catastrophic; imagine having it sealed up, sitting in the middle of a city like a concrete whale, reminding everyone what happened while they're constructing a new one down the street.
Quote by Dark Raven X

But it's looking more and more likely that the nuclear reactors will be rendered unusuable.

That in itself would be pretty catastrophic; imagine having it sealed up, sitting in the middle of a city like a concrete whale, reminding everyone what happened while they're constructing a new one down the street.

About 10 of the reactors are already unusuable.

They aren't in the middle of the cities. They are placed near the coast on man-made-islands mostly out in the water. As they have sea water as a "all-else-fail-action". Which they did with Fukushima 1 and 2. They tried to cool it down with sea water.
Quote by Dark Raven X

Some already are, they've been flooded with seawater which means they're now useless for the future due to corrosion and the presence of minerals making controlled reactions dangerous.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by SKArface McDank
jesus ****ing christ. what did they do? EQ, tsunami, now a volcano?

The volcano is bullshit though. No other media has brought it up.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster

Well, it has been brought up but the past few days there has been no talks of it as far as I know. Yes, the volcano has awaken, but it's not to be seen as a threat as far as I know.

What I meant to say was that this swedish newspaper Aftonbladet started talking about the volcano as a real danger but after that they haven't wrote a single word about it which makes me assume it wasn't as dangerous as they "wanted" as their first agenda is to sell papers.
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Mar 15, 2011,
^Makes sense. Following an earthquake, seems like the perfect time for a volcano...

Japan really can't catch a break, can it? :/
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Well, it has been brought up but the past few days there has been no talks of it as far as I know. Yes, the volcano has awaken, but it's not to be seen as a threat as far as I know.

Are you kidding me? I hope so.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Are you kidding me? I hope so.

Kidding you in what way?
Whenever a news report decides to talk about the "high level of radiation", they never seem to actually mention the amount of sieverts involved. I wonder why's that.
Quote by Cianyx
Whenever a news report decides to talk about the "high level of radiation", they never seem to actually mention the amount of sieverts involved. I wonder why's that.

I read it on Yahoo's page this morning, though I can't recall it. Lemme see if I can dig it up.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Mar 15, 2011,
The only one anywhere near dangerous is the 3rd reactor of 400 millisieverts
It's 400ph inside, so... a 12 hour exposure could be lethal.

'At the gates' it's much lower, around 12 IIRC.
the volcano started to spew ash, so its likely to go the full 9 yards, and shit, did the fourth reactor just catch fire?
This is a good explanation of the Japan situation for novices (and others)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bcrLiATLq0

He's a lecturer at The University of Nottingham
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Mar 15, 2011,
Media coverage has been terrible, but you can't solely blame them when TEPCO itself have been inconsistent and even clueless as to what's happening in their own reactors.
Quote by Dark Raven X
It's 400ph inside, so... a 12 hour exposure could be lethal.

'At the gates' it's much lower, around 12 IIRC.

Edano reported 400 mSv for the 3rd. It begins to get lethal at around 3-6 Sv.
^I did say over 12 hours! :P

Spend 12 hours in 400 mSv, you'll be past your safe exposure. Hence "potentially lethal"
And apparently snow is expected in that area fairly soon.

Sucks.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Dark Raven X
^I did say over 12 hours! :P

Spend 12 hours in 400 mSv, you'll be past your safe exposure. Hence "potentially lethal"

Yeap, it'd probably be unhealthy to stay but the sensationalist take of it still shits me.
IIRC, people in Denver (who live at and elevation of 5000 ft or so) have an annual exposure of 3.87 Sieverts a year. I believe most of them are still alive with a cancer rate lower than the US average.

You should check out Australian media on this. The environmentalist scum are having a field day with this as we were the ones who supplied the Uranium
Last edited by Cianyx at Mar 15, 2011,
I'm just wondering what are the odds - tsunami, volcano, nuclear reactor meltdowns...
Although I think that the media are really blowing tne reactor stuff up. I mean, it's not Chernobyl, it's just a meltdown.
But it doesnt matter which way you look at it, the shit has definitly hit the fan.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by JamSessionFreak
I'm just wondering what are the odds - tsunami, volcano, nuclear reactor meltdowns...
Although I think that the media are really blowing tne reactor stuff up. I mean, it's not Chernobyl, it's just a meltdown.
But it doesnt matter which way you look at it, the shit has definitly hit the fan.

According to my uncle, who's a not a perfect source but, usually pretty decent, the Institute for Science and International Security has said the nuclear disaster is a 6. Chernobyl was a 7.

And I strongly urge everyone to donate to some charity or other. You can test JAPAN to 864233 to donate $10 to UNICEF.
Page 1 of 2