Hey so there was this deal on craigslist where a guy was selling his Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for $400 and I convinced him to sell it to me for $350. The issue I have right now is the risk factor into buying a used tube amp. How risky is it to buy a used tube amp from somebody and what kind of stuff should I be looking out for?
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Its tough to know in what shape the amp is in. Something I think you must do before buying a used amp is to try it and play it properly. That way you reduce the risk that there is something wrong with it together with the issues that might occur if the seller does not what to give you your money back and so on... But usually, worst case, you might want to change the tubes.

I've bought 2 amps used, they work perfect. I doubt there are a lot of people out there who really try to make you buy a defect amp.

Best of luck
Mat is right, unless they are a jerk and are openly trying to sell you a deffective amp, the main thing would be you might consider replacing tubes when you get it.
You should test the amp from cold (after a 30 sec standby of course) and then test it again after it's heated up and been running for a while. Tell the guy you want the amp to be cold when you arrive, and not warmed up and ready to go. Look for crackling and noise when twisting all the knobs. Make sure the volume doesn't cut out after playing for a bit.
well after talking with the guy he said that it was a hardly used amp that's about 5 years old? Does an amp with that age have a lot of issues?
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Not normally. If the tubes are the factory ones they might new swapped but otherwise just try it out.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent