Page 1 of 2
I wanted to get a Gibson Les Paul. I was originally going for the Les Paul Traditional, then I started shifting to the Standard. Of all the gibson Les Pauls, which do you think is most worth it? The Gibson Les Paul Customs are a lot more expensive and dont really have that many extra features. I am not in a rush, and I am willing to spend any amount of money since I already have a guitar. I just want to save up and buy the right one. Any advice?
Try them all and compare them next to each other. This would be optimal cause it would allow you to feel and hear the differences. Just because it's a custom does not necessarily make it sound better (then there probably is the factor that you believe it sounds better because you know you're playing a custom )

I have a standard and I'm happy with it.
I tried a custom, a standard, and a traditional, the standard and custom sounded similar and i believe they have the same pickups. The traditional also sounded good to me. However the custom I tried was the $4000 one, they have more expensive ones that the store did not carry. Also, does it change over time?
If it was me, I'd get the trad. played several, and I prefer the pickups and the vibe of them. With Gibson (like most maunfacturers), you can get a lemon, so make sure you play loads.

I have a Tokai which I'd take over either. I'd take my DGT over one as well, but whatever floats your boat.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

It's not worth it to get a Gibson that costs under $3000. They all suck for the price, and you can almost always get a better guitar from a different company. I know there are a lot of Japanese knock offs that are very good, but I'm not familiar with them. Some I know of that are good, both Edwards (E-MA models) and ESP (Eclipse models) make far superior models than Gibson in their respective price points ($1000-2000)

All that aside, if you want a Gibson because it's a Gibson, by all means go for it. I'm not trying to come off as a Gibson hater, but trying to help you get the most bang for your buck. I can completely relate to you if you want a Gibson because it's a Gibson though.

If the latter is the case, the only advice we can really give you is to try, try, try. Try out as many models as you possibly can. Gibsons vary a lot, and have very little consistency. It could take weeks or months or years to find one that really clicks with you.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have always heard Gibsons are the the best, and when I played the Gibsons they sound really good, a lot better then the epi les pauls. I never tried the ESP Eclipse. I mainly want to know why some Gibsons are $6000 and others are $2000 and the features seem almost the same.
Quote by Unicronus
I have always heard Gibsons are the the best, and when I played the Gibsons they sound really good, a lot better then the epi les pauls. I never tried the ESP Eclipse. I mainly want to know why some Gibsons are $6000 and others are $2000 and the features seem almost the same.

Nothing on paper really matters when it comes to high end guitars. When you get to $3000+, "specs" cease to have relevance. The reason why there are some that cost so much, is because you're getting the very best tonewoods possible, as well as the most care and precision possible. That (IMO) is worth paying for, and those Gibsons are worth their money.

The mass produced ones though, aren't that good.

More about the features being the same... They're too vague to really go off of. "Mahogany" doesn't mean anything, if that's all that it said. Epi Specials have "Mahogany". Hardware can only go so far until you have the best too. You really have to take guitars case by case, rather than judging what it will be like by what specs it has.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The new traditionals are much more "standardy" than the standards.....
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Try try and try some more has already been said

I have a custom and a studio oddly enough I enjoy the studio more. Go figure :/. It's personal pref IMO
Quote by Offworld92
It's not worth it to get a Gibson that costs under $3000. They all suck for the price, and you can almost always get a better guitar from a different company.

Bull. You have no clue what you are talking about.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Bhaok
Bull. You have no clue what you are talking about.

An ESP Eclipse II STD is $1729. A Gibson LP Traditional is $1999. I'd be willing to bet that the ESP will be better than the Gibson consistently on all accounts. Gibsons just aren't worth how much they cost. I don't see how I have no clue what I'm talking about.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
An ESP Eclipse II STD is $1729. A Gibson LP Traditional is $1999. I'd be willing to bet that the ESP will be better than the Gibson consistently on all accounts. Gibsons just aren't worth how much they cost. I don't see how I have no clue what I'm talking about.

Agreed. Until recently I had my heart set on a Gibson Les Paul Standard or Studio but every one I have tried so far has disappointed me whether it be a cheap feel (for a $1500+ guitar), cheap looking finish or blemishes. I just can't justify spending so much money on a guitar when for the same price price I can get something that plays better with twice the features like an Ibanez Prestige or a Carvin. I hate to say it but you really are paying for the Gibson logo.
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Mar 16, 2011,
I agree with Offworld. If you're going to get a Gibson, go used for sure. I personally don't see the attraction of Gibson for the sake of Gibson. Fanboyism is irrational.

But if a Gibson is what you REALLY want (because Slash plays one) then go for it. Just know that there are better alternatives. IMO, the only Gibson LPs that can be the LEAST BIT worth it are the Studios and the Customs. The Studios can be a very solid deal if you find a good one, and the customs are generally of high quality, though I don't know if they warrant the price tag.

I know at the Gibson price range, I'd prefer PRS to anything they can put out. The PRS Tremonti is such a BITCHIN' singlecut guitar that I'm willing to overlook the fact that it's a sig. It's worth every cent you pay and is of the highest quality. Plus, it's about $1500 less than a Gibson LP Custom and can emulate any tone the LP can put out, but better.
The ONLY company whos guitars I would look at other then Gibson if you are wanting a LP style guitar is The Heritage. Made in the USA. Sorry I refuse to send anymore of my money overseas.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Bhaok
The ONLY company whos guitars I would look at other then Gibson if you are wanting a LP style guitar is The Heritage. Made in the USA. Sorry I refuse to send anymore of my money overseas.

LOL. When Americans are known for higher standards for the price - then maybe its worth paying for. When they start meeting those requirements.

Plus if you buy an ESP/LTD, consider it a tax write off for contributing to charity - you're helping the tsunami victims.
Last edited by OceansBetweenUs at Mar 16, 2011,
there are a lot of silly posts in this thread.

everything is subjective. some like ESPs better, some like gibsons better... when it comes down to tone, feel, and playability it's all subjective.

gibsons are a little more expensive than equivalent quality guitars, which means as far as the competition is concerned they aren't really very much overpriced at all. whether you think they are worth the money is subjective.

some people love gibsons, some people like them a bit, some are indifferent, and it seems that it jumps straight into people who hate them with a passion from there. if you're not too keen on them you wouldn't want to pay that much for them but that doesn't make them as overpriced as all these people say they are. if you don't think they are worth the money, nobody is forcing you to buy one...

obviously, as soon as preference comes into it you'll get people who like other brands better who say "yeah these guitars are a lot better and they are also a bit cheaper". ESP, ibanez, carvin, it doesn't matter, whichever you like best you'll consider to be worth the money, regardless of whether that particular model is associated with the style of music you like to play. sure, typically classic rockers use gibsons, but an ESP eclipse could do the job well too, and if you like ESP eclipses better than gibson les pauls, you'd be pretty silly to get a les paul just because "it's more rock and less metal lol".

what i'm getting at is that there's quality, and then there's preference. learn the difference.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
^ obviously. We all said that if he really wants/likes Gibson he should go for it, but in terms of levels of quality/value, there are better options, in case he wasn't aware.
IMO, the new Faded Studios with Maple Caps are tough to beat from a price/performance standpoint. You get the important parts of what makes an LP an LP; Mahogany back, Maple Cap, Mahogany neck. Stuff such as binding, grain filler, inlays, etc don't add a single thing in regards to making a guitar a better instrument; they are for appearance purposed only.
Quote by trueamerican
^ obviously. We all said that if he really wants/likes Gibson he should go for it, but in terms of levels of quality/value, there are better options, in case he wasn't aware.

well that's the thing - the "better" options are only "better" if he likes them better.

and that's not really what people (including you) have been saying, or at least not the way it reads..

Quote by trueamerican
But if a Gibson is what you REALLY want (because Slash plays one) then go for it.

Quote by Offworld92
if you want a Gibson because it's a Gibson, by all means go for it.

Quote by Offworld92
They all suck for the price

i mean fair enough, you're giving sound advice about other alternatives that are well worth considering, but statements like that are pretty unhelpful because they sort of encourage people to just steer clear of gibson completely. UG steered me clear of gibsons for far too long while i was younger and more impressionable, and i was missing out.

oh and here's another one that went by un-noticed until i was browsing this page for those quote -

Quote by AxSilentxLine
I can get something that plays better with twice the features like an Ibanez Prestige or a Carvin. I hate to say it but you really are paying for the Gibson logo.

plays better? well that's just subjective as i've already said.
twice the features? also subjective. generally a more stripped down guitar will cost less money at the same level of quality as one with all the bells and whistles that aren't really totally necessary.. once again, it's a matter of whether you personally want those extra things.
Rig Winter 2017:

TS, im in the same boat as you. What i plan on doing is comparing the standard and trad models by playing them and seeing which i like best. Of course, there are alternatives so try out what you can and see what you like. However you can say that about most guitar models, i currently prefer the sound of my Epi LP Custom (with a JB in the bridge and 59 in the neck) to my ESP Eclipse II.
to the TS, if you want a Gibson, get a Gibson.....however, I HIGHLY encourage you to look for a used Standard.......my 1998 is HARD to beat, especially for the good price you can get them for.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
I used to have a Gibson LP Studio, and it was a great guitar,heavy but great. Even though I have spent a fortune on guitars, the higher price doesn't always mean "better". In my opinoin Gibson is an over-rated brand as is Fender. If you want Quality try PRS, I did and havent looked back since.
They have a great single cut besides the normal PRS design!
Quote by Blompcube
well that's the thing - the "better" options are only "better" if he likes them better.

and that's not really what people (including you) have been saying, or at least not the way it reads..

i mean fair enough, you're giving sound advice about other alternatives that are well worth considering, but statements like that are pretty unhelpful because they sort of encourage people to just steer clear of gibson completely. UG steered me clear of gibsons for far too long while i was younger and more impressionable, and i was missing out.

oh and here's another one that went by un-noticed until i was browsing this page for those quote -

plays better? well that's just subjective as i've already said.
twice the features? also subjective. generally a more stripped down guitar will cost less money at the same level of quality as one with all the bells and whistles that aren't really totally necessary.. once again, it's a matter of whether you personally want those extra things.
I agree that there's a certain degree of subjectivity, but it's not all subjective. Some things are just better than others plain and simple. My opinion isn't based on favoritism or "what's on paper" it's purely objective. I have played many Gibson Les Pauls, I love Les Pauls and as I said had my heart set on one but unfortunately I have been disappointed with each one I have played. That's not to say that they were all that bad, but for $2500+ AUD I expected much more.

Sometimes you gotta go with your heart rather than your head when choosing gear that YOU really want, but I just can't get past the fact that I can get guitars that (IMO) play better, look better, feel better, sound better and have better features (depending on what you consider features) for as much or less than a Gibson.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
I agree that there's a certain degree of subjectivity, but it's not all subjective. Some things are just better than others plain and simple. My opinion isn't based on favoritism or "what's on paper" it's purely objective. I have played many Gibson Les Pauls, I love Les Pauls and as I said had my heart set on one but unfortunately I have been disappointed with each one I have played. That's not to say that they were all that bad, but for $2500+ AUD I expected much more.

Sometimes you gotta go with your heart rather than your head when choosing gear that YOU really want, but I just can't get past the fact that I can get guitars that (IMO) play better, look better, feel better, sound better and have better features (depending on what you consider features) for as much or less than a Gibson.

then, i hate to break it to you, but you don't really love gibson les pauls if you've played a lot and been disappointed with them and find that a lot of other guitars play better, look better, feel better and sound better to you. you probably just wished that you did, and there's nothing wrong with that. you might find that you like a seemingly identical guitar from another company such as a high end tokai which would be of the same level of quality, but it wouldn't be the same. all high end guitars from different brands do have their own feel that is unique to that brand, even if on paper the guitars are exactly the same.

by features i was referring to things like cosmetic frills, fancy wiring systems for coil tapping etc and things like floyd rose trems/locking tuners etc - all things that are useful to have if that's what you want but don't necessarily make the guitar any better or any more valuable.

by the way, no opinions are purely objective, either. what on earth are you on about?
Rig Winter 2017:

Quote by Blompcube
then, i hate to break it to you, but you don't really love gibson les pauls if you've played a lot and been disappointed with them and find that a lot of other guitars play better, look better, feel better and sound better to you. you probably just wished that you did, and there's nothing wrong with that. you might find that you like a seemingly identical guitar from another company such as a high end tokai which would be of the same level of quality, but it wouldn't be the same. all high end guitars from different brands do have their own feel that is unique to that brand, even if on paper the guitars are exactly the same.

by features i was referring to things like cosmetic frills, fancy wiring systems for coil tapping etc and things like floyd rose trems/locking tuners etc - all things that are useful to have if that's what you want but don't necessarily make the guitar any better or any more valuable.

by the way, no opinions are purely objective, either. what on earth are you on about?

My Epiphone Les Paul Custom plays beautifully

Go figure
On the note of Les Paul copies, I have been looking at Tokai, Burny, Greco and Edwards copies, and I meant my subjective opinion was arrived at by considering objective factors
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Mar 16, 2011,
I dont want to buy a "Gibson" just because it is a "Gibson"
People always praise Gibson guitars for being elite and having one of the best sounds. I always thought Gibsons must be top quality since so many people say that. They are also expensive, and I assumed that you pay for what you get. I have never tried the ESP Eclipse, I have played on Epiphone, and Gibson. Obviously the Gibson sounds a lot better. I want to get the most for my money. So the question is are Gibsons worth it? And Which Gibson Les Paul is the most worth it? I was mainly considering the 2008 Standard and the Traditional. But, I dont have a set opinion yet.
There is no way to give you an answer to the question "Are Gibsons worth it". It's just unanswerable. You really need to decide for yourself, by playing as many guitars as you possibly can. Find a way to get your hands on Gibsons, ESPs, Edwads, Tokais, etc.

I can't speak for a lot of companies, but I am very familiar with and fond of ESP guitars. I understand what Blompcube is saying, and I respect his views, so I'll try to keep this as objective as I can.

When taking a large test sample, say 10 Gibsons and 10 ESP's, (I have experience with both, btw), most, if not all of the time, the ESP's will be very consistent in finish and build quality. For the sake of comparisons, I'm going to leave sound out of this, as that's just too subjective to discuss.

It's not that uncommon to play 10 Gibsons, and only find a couple that are "worth the money". Meaning, finished frets, no finish blemishes, solid construction. ESP's on the other hand, will 9/10 have perfect frets and no finish blemishes.

That's not at all to say that one is better than the other though. Because "feel" has very much to do with choosing a guitar, rather than which is just "better". If you like the way Gibsons feel in your hand, it would make no sense at all for you to get an ESP, even if they are more consistently better.

Which is why it's extremely important for you to play and pick out a guitar for yourself. When it comes to things like this, we can only help you so much.

(On another note, if you do get to play some Eclipses, and you are looking for "that" LP tone, try to find one of the Eclipse STDs, that have passive pickups. It won't really be a fair comparison if you play an Eclipse with actives to get a good view of that sound you're going for.)

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
See guitar(s), play guitar(s), like guitar(s), buy guitar(s).

No need to ask the internet unless you've got technical questions and/or need pointing in the right direction of what you should look at. (or you're a beginner and don't really know what to look for).
Quote by Duv
See guitar(s), play guitar(s), like guitar(s), buy guitar(s).

No need to ask the internet unless you've got technical questions and/or need pointing in the right direction of what you should look at. (or you're a beginner and don't really know what to look for).

Made me laugh. Exactly, on the internet you get so many peoples opinions and no basis for them. For instance, depending on someones income alone, you will get huge differences in opinion on guitas quality/price. Someone fully willing to spend $3k on a guitar is going to get internet opinions of people who have never spent $500 on a guitar.

Personally, spending more than $1k on a guitar I find ludicrous. After all, it is a piece of wood and metal that should be more or less made easily and well on a production line in the year 2011. We can do it with cars - we can ****ing do it with a musical instrument.

Some people see spending $1k on a guitar as a minimum to get a professional quality instrument.

So whatever your price point, shop around. You may find that Gibson isn't for you - but a $1500 Strat might be. Or a $1500 ESP. Or a $600 Epi just so happens to play amazingly.

Just pick up anything that looks visually appealing to you, and have at it. Who cares if theres a small finish blemish on the side/back of the guitar if the neck and frets treat you well? Guitar shopping is like car shopping. You are going to keep this thing for a long time, the resell value is (generally) going to be shit, and it has to be a good fit for you.
I have a Gibson lp studio and i love it, I'd take it over an eclipse any day. IMO Gibson is the only company worth getting a lp guitar from. The only complaints i have about it are it's not a through neck and something f-ed up my finish. Oh and scanning through sly these comparisons has anyone mentioned gibson uses nitro to finish their guitars which is a superior tone finish as opposed to thick and cheaper finishs literally every other company other than prs uses?
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
i didn't read through every post, so pardon me if i missed something.

the std, is a nicer intrument all around, but i can't get accross that asymmetrical neck.

i really like the traditional is what i would get though. mainly because of the neck. i kind of view the standard's as the approching "custom" line, when USA still made the les paul customs.

to me the traditional, is more where the standards were at.

its all personal preference though, and go out and play.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by AxSilentxLine
My Epiphone Les Paul Custom plays beautifully

Go figure
On the note of Les Paul copies, I have been looking at Tokai, Burny, Greco and Edwards copies, and I meant my subjective opinion was arrived at by considering objective factors

epiphones are different to gibsons. they might be the same on paper, but they couldn't be any more different in terms of how they play, and how they sound, and everything else about them apart from the appearance - obviously you just like that better, which is fine, it's your preference.

i find myself being a bit disappointed with the post-norlin gibson SG spec because the necks seemed to develop a les-paul like angle which to me just doesn't feel right on a flat-top guitar, and the pickups seem to be aimed at sounding like angus young all the time. i like my burny SG better than most gibson SGs made after 1986, even though the quality isn't really there and it doesn't feel like a gibson (it sounds quite like one, though). if gibson made SGs with the classic flat neck pitch and smoother sounding pickups, i'd like the gibsons better, because i like the build quality a lot better.

although you're making a bit more sense about your opinion now.
Rig Winter 2017:

Wouldn't trade my LP Custom for any other guitar I've ever played. It's old and it's heavy...but it plays like butter and is a tone monster. I've yet to find a music style it can't handle and anyone that's played it has wanted it. The thing is built like a tank and has been the most reliable instrument I've ever owned. Not sure what its exact value is, but I wouldn't sell it for any amount of money. Gibson gets a lot of flack around here, but I'm guessing most just haven't played the right one.
78' Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender 60th Anniversary Tele
Fender Nashville Tele
Fender MIA Fat Strat
EVH Wolfgang Special
Schecter C1+
Martin DC-16GTE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Egnater Renegade Head
Tourmaster 2x12 Cab
Fender Champ (1966)
I'd buy the Traditional Pro because it's the cheapest one and Gibson has stolen enough of my money
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Blompcube

I wasn't using Slash as a negative example of why anyone would want to use a Gibson. A friend of mine loves Slash. Slash is his idol. Hence, his dream guitar is a Gibson LP. Nothing else will satisfy, no matter how much better for him they are. So he has two Epiphone LPs, and he's saving up for a Gibson.

And that's bullshit. We can say better even if he doesn't like it better. If you compare a Squier Bullet with a Carvin DC127, the Carvin is objectively better whether he likes it or not. I understand that's an extreme example, but some guitars are better than others OBJECTIVELY, and some guitars are OBJECTIVELY better for someone because of their style.
Also, people tend to get really enamored with a player and might want to replicate him. A person might deduce that since guitarist A is famously known for this guitar and the person really likes guitarist A... THAT MEANS HE HAS TO LIKE HIS GUITAR TOOO!!!!!!!

Then, they realize that they wasted 5 grand on a signature guitar and sell it to pay for a Caparison or a Tom Anderson guitar.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Page 1 of 2