I took the neck pickup out of my Gretsch to see is the little silver cover be taken. Of course, it can't because it's soldered to the base of the pickup.

Anyway, I was looking at it, and I noticed the wire was pretty long. It got me curious as to what would happen if I turned the pickup around. Like, let's say you take the pickup out, spin it around 180 degrees, and put it back in. What would it sound like?
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Different, I'm sure. I've heard people using pickups with rail-pole combos turning them around and having noticeably different sounds afterward. If you have it taken apart as it is I'd say it's worth a shot.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by Pink Muse
Different, I'm sure. I've heard people using pickups with rail-pole combos turning them around and having noticeably different sounds afterward. If you have it taken apart as it is I'd say it's worth a shot.

Cool man, thanks

Quote by Videon07
That was one reason Hendrix played a right handed guitar.

I'm not looking to be Hendrix by any means

Quote by Videon07

I believe Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac reversed his Les Paul's neck pup..or was it the bridge pup?
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Hi, I am looking for an amp setting close to the sound of bands like Black Veil Brides.

Quote by Eppicurt

Set everything to 12 o'clock.

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

Will buy guitars & guitar parts
PM me for info
Just reversed both of them

They sound AMAZING!!!!

I'd imagine unless it was staggered pole pieces or reversing the tilt if any to the pickup their would be change (like Hendrix) or if like on chrome humbucker pickups one row of pole pieces is covered their might be change, but for the rest, they are all just flat, evenly wound and pretty much equal throughout, in which case I'd wager it's in your head.
It wont do too much, it'll just put the hotter first slug coil more towards the center and the less hot second slug coil towards the bridge, might make it sound bassier.

You can do the same exact thing by wiring it up backwards, if you have 4 conductor wire, just use the green and white wires instead of the red and black.
Quote by ethan_hanus
It wont do too much, it'll just put the hotter first slug coil more towards the center and the less hot second slug coil towards the bridge, might make it sound bassier.

You can do the same exact thing by wiring it up backwards, if you have 4 conductor wire, just use the green and white wires instead of the red and black.

I don't think so...care to elaborate?
Quote by Arby911
I don't think so...care to elaborate?

I did it with my Painkiller, I screwed up the red and black wires (red being the input to the rear slug and black being the output of the front slug) So I wired it up using the other two wires I didn't screw up yet, Green and white(White being the input of the front slug and Green being the output of the rear slug).

And if you want proof that that's the way that pickup works, I can get the pickup specifications and wiring chart that BKP sent with the pickup.

It actually worked out perfectly because my middle coil was reverse wound on a 5 way switch.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Mar 16, 2011,
The screw coils should be facing out. Neck towards the neck and bridge towards the bridge. Also removing the cover on most humbuckers is going to leave you with a waxy mess of an open coiled pickup.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by ethan_hanus
I did it with my Painkiller, I screwed up the red and black wires (red being the input to the rear slug and black being the output of the front slug) So I wired it up using the other two wires I didn't screw up yet, Green and white(White being the input of the front slug and Green being the output of the rear slug).

And if you want proof that that's the way that pickup works, I can get the pickup specifications and wiring chart that BKP sent with the pickup.

It actually worked out perfectly because my middle coil was reverse wound on a 5 way switch.

I looked at BKP's website. I don't think it works the way you think it does?

But, as I have an open mind, I'll look at whatever you have. There may be something I'm overlooking...
Quote by Arby911
I looked at BKP's website. I don't think it works the way you think it does?

But, as I have an open mind, I'll look at whatever you have. There may be something I'm overlooking...

Ah, here it is, I'll type up what it says.

Bare Knuckle Pickups four conductor-color code is always black-start of screw coil, white finish of screw coil, and red start of slug coil, green finish of slug coil.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Ah, here it is, I'll type up what it says.

Bare Knuckle Pickups four conductor-color code is always black-start of screw coil, white finish of screw coil, and red start of slug coil, green finish of slug coil.

I figured that was what you meant. That's hardly the same as physically reversing the positions.

Curious though, based on what you said, how exactly do you have yours wired?
Quote by Videon07

that had more to do with the angled bridge pickup on a strat. because the strings were reversed, technically the angle was reversed too.

as a gretsch G5120 owner i'm curious as to how it changed the sound, too.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Mar 16, 2011,
Quote by ethan_hanus

All swapping those wires is doing is changing what coil will be active if you have any kind of split. Otherwise, its going to sound the same. Physically flipping the coil would make a difference, but all you've done is changed the order of the coils, which won't change the tone.

TS, the differences can range from almost nothing to fairly decent, depending on how the coils are wound. If the coils of the pickup are wound the same it won't really do anything. If they're asymmetrical (one coil is wound differently than the other) it will have a more noticeable change.
Quote by littlephil
All swapping those wires is doing is changing what coil will be active if you have any kind of split. Otherwise, its going to sound the same. Physically flipping the coil would make a difference, but all you've done is changed the order of the coils, which won't change the tone.

TS, the differences can range from almost nothing to fairly decent, depending on how the coils are wound. If the coils of the pickup are wound the same it won't really do anything. If they're asymmetrical (one coil is wound differently than the other) it will have a more noticeable change.

Oh ok, cause on position 2 it prolly uses the screw coil then, explains why it sounds so punchy and bright.

I see now, my bad...in theory it should...but it doesn't.

EDIT: Well, trying to remember from memory, cause I don't feel like ripping off the pickguard, I think I have the green wire going to the volume pot, white going to the 5 way switch, red and black soldered together and taped off, and the bare ground going to the volume pot.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Mar 16, 2011,
^Yeah, depending which coil is used when split will change the tone, also the distance between the middle pickup and the coil of the bridge pickup that is active (bridge or neck side coil)