So i wrote a week ago about getting a distortion pedal and was recommended eq pedals instead to boost certain frequencies for certain rhythm and lead situations. i tried a friends Boss GE-7 eq and its really good except on my 6505+ i do a palm mute and it will give me this weird bassy feedback sound that sounds like my speaker will crack or something. is this what makes the mxr 10 band eq better? and how can i stop that noise? is it just ordinary feedback or something different
You'll do far better with the MXR 10-band.. I own one, it's an amazing little piece of gear.

And most who own a 6505+ also own the MXR. It works wonders on that amp.

Not to mention, most don't like the GE-7. I've never used one, though.
I've got a ge7 and a 6 band mxr and i actually prefer the boss one out of the two, extra band and i like having the level control too, just find it a little more versatile due to that.

Maybe try dropping the bass a touch? may help it a little, i'd say just have a really long mess about until you can nail the tone your'e after. You can use it to cut frequiences as well as boost them remember so maybe you need to do that a little. try some different settings on your amp too. I kinda tweak my settings depending on what type of venue my band is playing in so keep that in mind as well, id say you just need to find the right balance between the pedal and your amp.
1980 Gibson Silverburst Les Paul Custom
Gretsch G5445T Electromatic Double Jet
De Armond MT-75
1978 Aria Pro 2 Les Paul Standard (Lawsuit)

Orange Rockerverb 100 Head
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Ain't telling you my pedals!
Sounds to me like you have too much bass going on. I'd cut some of the lower frequencies with the pedal.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
the 10 band has a level and gain control in addition to 4 extra bands over the 6 band so i'd go for that one. im not a big fan of most of bosses products and i think that mxr makes better eqs.
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
The Boss sounds better than the MXR after it's modded, but the MXR is the better pedal stock. The MXR is also a lot more useful, because of the 3 extra bands. Most people go for it over the Boss for those reasons.

I have two Boss GE7's, because I love how tank like they are, I hate the fact that the MXR's are 18V which I don't want to deal with, and I know they have a lot of potential through modding. If you don't want to get into that though, I highly recommend the MXR. It's a really good pedal.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
The Boss sounds better than the MXR after it's modded, but the MXR is the better pedal stock. The MXR is also a lot more useful, because of the 3 extra bands. Most people go for it over the Boss for those reasons.

I have two Boss GE7's, because I love how tank like they are, I hate the fact that the MXR's are 18V which I don't want to deal with, and I know they have a lot of potential through modding. If you don't want to get into that though, I highly recommend the MXR. It's a really good pedal.

I'll admit, I'm annoyed by the 18V thing. I have to have another adapter solely for my MXR.. While a 1-Spot powers my delay and Bad Monkey.

I'm pretty sure most hobby guitarists (Such as myself) wouldn't want to take the time to mod a pedal, but if you're open to it then maybe you should try modding the Boss.

I know nothing about mods or anything so I can't help there. I'll still stick to my original post and just say the MXR is an awesome pedal