What speaks to you more... something very intricate and creative or something simple that works?

I personally have a hard time knowing what I buy into more. I generally go for minimalist themes; I really like the idea of a nice dish of strawberries and cream over a complex crazy dessert or a nice acoustic song with sweet simple lyrics over math rock. However I do appreciate a lot of extravagant, glamorous things just for the way they are put together.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I'm typically more of a simplicity kind of guy.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Both tend to be nice. To use the music example, I can enjoy both the very technical Animals as Leaders or Dream Theater solos just as well as I can appreciate a well-written, 3 chord song.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
I over analize things too often. I take music, movies, and books all too seriously. So I tend to go with the intricate.
POST RAWK
Last edited by crazywatermelon at Mar 15, 2011,
Quote by vintage x metal
I personally have a hard time knowing what I buy into more. I generally go for minimalist themes; I really like the idea of a nice dish of strawberries and cream over a complex crazy dessert or a nice acoustic song with sweet simple lyrics over math rock. However I do appreciate a lot of extravagant, glamorous things just for the way they are put together.

Basically this.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Bit of both. I love boards of canada. I love dillinger escape plan.

I prefer minimal art on clothes and album covers and stuff though.
I'm pretty easy going with food too. but if you tried to serve me a fruit salad consisting of
one pear, 2 slices of kiwi and half a strawberry laid out in a lovely little "artistic" pattern i'd slap you into next week. I need real portions.
Depends on how much time I spend on the subject. I love food,whisky and music, and tend to like intricate stuff more and more. And I seem to like intricate and complicated women, which makes sense.

But with stuff like sex, watching a TV show. Basically stuff you do mostly for relaxing, I want it simple.
Father of ilikepirates And icesk8erqueen8
every man on here who tries to touch them will get his dick chopped off.

E-married to Shyne <3

Officialy has OddOneOut as e-sexslave
Last edited by Antis0cial at Mar 15, 2011,
Quote by btones
I like things that appear simple, but are very intricate. Listen to a Deftones song some time.

You an Albert Camus fan by any chance?
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
I'm really into simplicity when it comes to the arts.

Except for like post impressionism. I can get behind some post impressionism.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Some stuff can be very simple but extremely powerful - For example, Bob Dylan. My favorite song of his, Shelter From The Storm, is 3 chords but quite powerful and meaningful (at least to me). At the same time, the epic soundscape of something like Pink Floyd's Echoes is just epic.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
I prefer intricate stuff. I love being able to sink my teeth into something and just geek out over it.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Balance. That is all

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
I often like things that are a nice mix too. This song, for instance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BthXn60djGo

it's called 'Alex' by the Punch Brothers. The musicians are really talented and often show off a bit more but in this case, while the fingering and style is obviously very skilled and intricate, the basic sequence of chords used and the lyrics and overall sound of the song are simple and natural. It's a sweet spin.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I like things that aren't neccesarily complex but still have a lot going on in them if that makes any sense? I get bored of someone singing with an acoustic guitar for the most part but if you take a simple song and do interesting things and layer it etc. then it generally begins to sound more interesting for me.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by vintage x metal
What speaks to you more... something very intricate and creative or something simple that works?

I think both have the potential to be equally as potent.

Take lyrics for example. Just recently, after struggling to make the decision, I decided to break up with my first ever girlfriend (I was with her for over 2 years, but in the end, it was... not good). I felt bad regardless, so I turned to Steven Wilson for comfort. Frequently, I would listen to Pain (by Blackfield) on repeat. The chorus goes...

While I'm melting in the rain, deep in pain, she is so far
Will we ever meet again as friends, after so long?

Yeah, the lyrics are very simple, but they aided me when I was feeling down. They soothed the... well... pain.

And then there are lyricists like Micah Kinard who can tell beautiful metaphorical stories which are often very complex and difficult to understand. But that's the fun of it; fitting the pieces of the puzzles together helps me get more involved with the music, and once the puzzles are finally solved, the songs have a much more profound meaning to me.
Quote by Kumanji
Simplicity every time. Just too much stuff has too much going on at once, man. Seriously.

This, for instance, give me a cup of good honest working mans black coffee over a frappuchino / latte / whatever absurd names are given to those hipster drinks.

It applies in music a lot too.
I would rather hear Nick Cave beat the shit out of his guitar than hear Malmsteen playing 15,000 notes per second.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
I would rather hear Nick Cave beat the shit out of his guitar than hear Malmsteen playing 15,000 notes per second.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XvP4q7_KW4A?rel=11" frameborder="10" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Mar 15, 2011,
I get bored too easily so I don't think I value simplicity as much. I like it sometimes, but more often than not I'd prefer something complex.
cat
Intricate and creative, easily, but only if everything is done for a reason.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
If done well, both are equally as good. If not done well, both are equally as bad. There is no "better," there is only a balance.