Hi all. Still pretty much a beginner here. I have just bought a looper pedal and am using it to solo over chords atm. In a simple I, IV, V progression the minor pentatonic obviously works well. However, when I throw in a II or VI chord into the progression I am finding that the major pentatonic "sounds" better over these chords rather than the minor pentatonic . Is this right ?. I know "whatever sounds good" works , but is there music theory at work here ? .. thanks
Goerge Lynch from Dokken changes what scale he is playing over all the time. You can use any scale as long as that scale contains the chord tones of the chord you are playing over. You can use any note as a passing note, you just need to rest on a chord tone while soloing.Do you know what a chord tone is? Just because you play a different scale, it doesn't mean that you change the mode of the song. The chord progression is what determines the mode, not the lead you play.
Last edited by 2112by at Mar 15, 2011,
Thanks for the replies. Yes I,IV, V major, II and IV minor. Also adding the minor chord roots with the major pentatonic, over those minor chords.
Of course, the I IV and V are always major chords. I can play a c major pentatonic or an Am pentatonic and I am playing the same thing. Maybe you are playing the relative major pentatonic over your progression..\
Quote by The-Bullet
Thanks for the replies. Yes I,IV, V major, II and IV minor. Also adding the minor chord roots with the major pentatonic, over those minor chords.

if you are playing I IV V aas major and ii and vi as minor, then you are playing in a major scale so the major pentatonic should sound way better than the minor pentatonic. minor would use i iv v instead of I IV V*

*capital letters (I) = major
lower case letters (i) = minor
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
The C major pentatonic will sound better because it includes a D (ii) and an A (vi). That's not to say you can't still use the minor pentatonic through parts of the progression though, but c major pentatonic will sound fine through out the whole thing because your progression is in C major.
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
Last edited by engineno9 at Mar 17, 2011,
Quote by 2112by
Of course, the I IV and V are always major chords. I can play a c major pentatonic or an Am pentatonic and I am playing the same thing. Maybe you are playing the relative major pentatonic over your progression..\

when he wrote borth the I IV V and II VI in capitals i got confused if he was in major or minor thats all

and since those chords are all in the major scale, I think the major pentatonic would sound better over those chords overall since its build off the same notes as those chords, thats why they sound good when you add ii and vi

The minor pentatonic also sounds very good when playing I IV V think blues. It just gives another feeling