Next year I'm going to college, and I will most likely follow anthropology or law as a career.
I still wanna continue studying music parallel to this, especially composition. Not to please anyone, just me. Do you think its possible to develop as a 'high level' composer without formal studies?
How far can you go on your own?
Are there any options in your country to study both careers (In my country there isn't, I would like to know more about the major/minor system in the USA)
█████████████████████████
Yes, but it will be a lot harder.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
You can take a few classes while at university. A lot of universities have some sort of music program. Take a few classes as part of your general education requirements.
I would suggest minoring in Music Composition or Theory or something but I guess you don't have that in your country. The concept is simple for a minor, it's basically like major but the required credits are fewer and classes are mostly core ones.

But it is totally possible to be a composer without training, so if that's what you love, then do your best and hope for the best in return.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by MuffinBrain
Do you think its possible to develop as a 'high level' composer without formal studies?

Of course it it.
There's certainly nothing that says you can't

The problem is staying motivated. You'll likely already be pretty busy, and when you're not friends will probably want to hang out. Sometimes it seems like more fun than hunkering down for an hour and figuring out how Sub-Dominant Sus4 chords work.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I've always thought it was tremendously neglectful to the rest of your life to specifically only study music at a high level.

To give some perspective, Hans Zimmer (massive film composer) started out playing keys in German electro bands (and can apparently be seen in the Buggles' filmclip for Video Killed the Radio Star...)

That said, depending on your country, it might be possible to take on a part-time/full-time correspondence course? In my country (Australia), the equivalent would be a Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Music, and there are several universities that would offer that via correspondence, although you generally have to give a face-to-face interview.

That was rambling and long, and I think not especially to the point. Apologies.