At the moment, all I have is my strat and my blues jr. Im trying to get an early Clapton tone (Bluesbreakers, Cream), Peter Green, Bonamassa.. ya know, that typical british blues sound. I was thinking about buying an OD pedal (OCD, Blues Driver?), but on the other hand I saw a Marshall Class 5 amp on sale thats supposed to get near the old Plexi/Bluesbreaker tone..

Wish i had a Les Paul, since each player i just describe plays one, but maybe i can get close to their tone anyways??

Any help/suggestions??
Thanks

Oh yea, and my budget for new gear is about $400..
American Standard Stratocaster
NOS Blues Jr
Boss DD-3
A guitar with a humbucker is going to get you in the ball park...

What's your budget, where are you based?

If cash isn't an issue try a Marshall Bluesbreaker - designed for Clapton to record with as his stacks were too loud in the day.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
A Class 5 will get you along the right path but this is what you really want for Beano:
http://valvepower.co.uk/18w_amp.htm
It's bit out of your pricerange but they do also have it in kit form which is cheaper, if you are handy with a soldering iron.
Cream is very different sounding to Beano. Beano ftw.
And yeah, you'll want something with humbuckers for either.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 15, 2011,
^ Im not really interested in buying another guitar, or modifiying my strat. I like my tone now, its actually not a bright as you might think, with the way I set it, its actually a bit dark sounding.

Oh, any word on the Analogman Beano boost??
NOS Blues Jr
Boss DD-3
Last edited by SwampThug at Mar 15, 2011,
Well, I'm sure you will buy another guitar in the future. Bit at a time, one can't have everything at once. It's not so much the darkness, it's the thickness. Beano is the defining Gibson into cranked Marshall tone that launched the whole sound we have come to love. Those 18W clones get you the cranked Marshall part of the equation without killing the audience. A strat into one will get you more of a Blind Faith onwards tone than Beano, still a good tone to have.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 15, 2011,
you could put a mid boost in your strat like what clapton has in his now. honestly though a strat just isn't going to give you the sounds you mentioned. you really are talking about a a LP (or at least an SG) thru a Marshal JTM 45 for that exact sound. yes it can be duplicated within reason with other amps and guitars but a strat isn't one of them. if you check out the Cream reunion show you'll see that even eric can't get his old tone with a strat.
If you guys are going to be logged on for the next 15 mins or so, Ill go ahead and record a clip of my current tone and maybe you could help me from there?
NOS Blues Jr
Boss DD-3
Alright i uploaded an mp3 of what i have now, i just want to beef it up an the blues jr doesnt really crank all that well..
sorry for the bad playing..
NOS Blues Jr
Boss DD-3
Try backing off the tone on your guitar a bit. Also maybe back off the guitar's volume a tad and turn the master Volume on your amp to 10.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Try backing off the tone on your guitar a bit. Also maybe back off the guitar's volume a tad and turn the master Volume on your amp to 10.

i was on the middle/neck pups, with both tone knobs set at about 4..
I didnt crank it wide open, i had the drive about 9:00 with the fat switch on..

Your probably right.. im not getting anywhere without a humbucker guitar or marshall style amp huh?
NOS Blues Jr
Boss DD-3
Correct.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well i guess ill start looking into some low wattage marshall clones..
The link you showed me looks fine, other than its in the UK...
The Class 5...
I saw ceriatone has some clones (even a $1000 dumble clone :P)
NOS Blues Jr
Boss DD-3
Lots of people make 18W clones. They are possibly the most cloned amp of all time. You might want to head over to 18watt.com. The front page seems to be down but you should be able to get through to this:
http://www.18watt.com/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=new_user
Or maybe: http://www.18watt.com/modules.php?name=Forums
The whole site seems to be having some problems but just register and try again later.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification