Page 1 of 2
hi just wondering what i would get from learning chords. i am always a tab person but after some unreliable and "choppy" incidents i may consider chords. but i don't know whether i should learn it. i hear its a lot of practice but i don't know what you can get from it.
Huh? Tab is not the opposite of chords?

Chords should be learnt. Usually first as well.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
The advantage of learning chords is that you can actually play songs, instead of random patterns that make no sense.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
There is absolutely no downside to learning chords. I would actually go so far as to say it is necessary for you to better yourself as a musician.

To be honest, though, you're using the word in a really vague sense, care to clarify what you mean? Do you mean reading chord charts? Or general theory?
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
You should absolutely learn how to read chord charts. Tab can't replace them, but neither can they replace tab.

Ultimately, you should be able to read tab, chords, AND standard notation.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
perhaps you mean theory when you say chords? if so, then yeah you should learn it. it always helps better a musician in a number of ways.

if you did indeed mean just chords, then yeah definetly learn them. theyre essential to becoming any sort of a competent guitar player and theyre not that hard.
well by chords i mean the guitar scales from E minor to E major(or something like that)but i'm doing relatively well with just tabs...my friend learn all his songs primarily from tabs and he's a real good guitarist. he never mentioned chords before, so i don't know if he's learned them.
Quote by GimmeRock
well by chords i mean the guitar scales from E minor to E major(or something like that)but i'm doing relatively well with just tabs...my friend learn all his songs primarily from tabs and he's a real good guitarist. he never mentioned chords before, so i don't know if he's learned them.

Well he may be a technically good guitarist, but if you go into the gigging world and are confronted with something like this;

| Dm | C | Am | G | Dm |

What are you going to do? I've given you my original song and I want you to play lead on it.
Soundcloud
Quote by GimmeRock
hi just wondering what i would get from learning chords. i am always a tab person but after some unreliable and "choppy" incidents i may consider chords. but i don't know whether i should learn it. i hear its a lot of practice but i don't know what you can get from it.

seriously?
shred is gaudy music
Quote by AlanHB
Well he may be a technically good guitarist, but if you go into the gigging world and are confronted with something like this;

| Dm | C | Am | G | Dm |

What are you going to do? I've given you my original song and I want you to play lead on it.

I don't think he intends on becoming a guitarist in the future, he plays guitar as a hobby, an alternate to stuff like sports and xbox.
Quote by GimmeRock
I don't think he intends on becoming a guitarist in the future, he plays guitar as a hobby, an alternate to stuff like sports and xbox.

Err, what about you?
Soundcloud
If you know a few songs then chances are pretty high you know some chords.

A chord is three or more notes played at the same time. Sometimes the notes of the chord are played one at a time, like on the intro to Stairway to Heaven, or Under the Bridge.

Are you talking about learning scales? or note names, or maybe chord NAMES? idk you have confused me and I don't think I'm the only one.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
If you know a few songs then chances are pretty high you know some chords.

A chord is three or more notes played at the same time. Sometimes the notes of the chord are played one at a time, like on the intro to Stairway to Heaven, or Under the Bridge.

Are you talking about learning scales? or note names, or maybe chord NAMES? idk you have confused me and I don't think I'm the only one.

I mainly play power chords songs stuff like green day and blink 182. I learn those from tabs. by chords i mean e major, b minor, the chords that people learn on guitar.
Quote by AlanHB
Err, what about you?

Me,same. I don't intend on being a guitarist or be in a band, but i am looking forward to at least performing for the talent show at my school or to show people what i can play and stuff. but other than that, i consider guitar a hobby, an alternate to playing xbox(i play a lot)
Chords are the backbone of everything on the guitar, they're in everything you'll ever play whether you realise it or not - if you understand them then you'll understand the guitar a whole lot better, which makes learning to play it a whole lot easier.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by GimmeRock
Me,same. I don't intend on being a guitarist or be in a band, but i am looking forward to at least performing for the talent show at my school or to show people what i can play and stuff. but other than that, i consider guitar a hobby, an alternate to playing xbox(i play a lot)

Well people like songs. Can't play chords, can't play songs. People will ask you to play as song and you answer "nah I can only play the solo from x song" and they are not impressed at a talent show or otherwise.

But hey, if you're looking for excuses not to play chords, plead ignorance, believe you're decent etc.
Soundcloud
well you're right at some points. my friend says chords are helpful because it puts all the choppy notes into one chord. he also says the only reason you want to learn chords is to become advanced/professional. Yes you do have point, can't play chords can't play songs. But my friend says that it depends sometimes, if you're covering a Green Day song, tabs alone would do you good. He mentions that chords apply to Classic rock songs in general because the artists, Rolling Stones or Beatles originally wrote their guitar parts through chords. But many years later, people trans composed it to notation and tabs. But, it would sound correct if you're playing it on chords because that's how those bands played it for all those times. Just to recap, you're right. No knowledge of chords prevents you from playing songs. But you can still play some modern rock with their power chords and easy riffs. My friend ended up doing that actually, he did a Blink song. In conclusion to this, he's say it's entirely optional to me.
also sorry if this confused you in any way
Last edited by GimmeRock at Mar 16, 2011,
The only person confused is you, my friend...your terms are backwards, and so is your understanding. So, if you want to limit your development to tabs and Green Day, that's up to you. Not everyone wants to learn to become better as a guitarist. Some want it for the talent show, and so on. Do what you want to do. If you're happy with the results, then thats what matters.

Many people find after a while that they want more, then they learn guitar chords, songs, and improve their sets. Your friend at best is incomplete and fairly ignorant and in no position to give advise to you. What should matter is that you decide for yourself whats important.

In summary, do what you want to do. If you ever get tired of that, come back and see us, and we'll do our best to help you from there. At this point, if this is all you want to do, I see no point in trying to straighten out all the other things that you have wrong. In the event that you ever want to take the guitar and your progress more seriously, I'm sure we can help you along and straighten out the misplaced advice that your friend has been laying on you.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Mar 16, 2011,
Quote by GimmeRock
well you're right at some points. my friend says chords are helpful because it puts all the choppy notes into one chord. he also says the only reason you want to learn chords is to become advanced/professional. Yes you do have point, can't play chords can't play songs. But my friend says that it depends sometimes, if you're covering a Green Day song, tabs alone would do you good. He mentions that chords apply to Classic rock songs in general because the artists, Rolling Stones or Beatles originally wrote their guitar parts through chords. But many years later, people trans composed it to notation and tabs. But, it would sound correct if you're playing it on chords because that's how those bands played it for all those times. Just to recap, you're right. No knowledge of chords prevents you from playing songs. But you can still play some modern rock with their power chords and easy riffs. My friend ended up doing that actually, he did a Blink song. In conclusion to this, he's say it's entirely optional to me.

^ playing guitar is entirely optional too. But if you choose to play it, you're going to want to learn chords.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 16, 2011,
Yeah, my head is hurting trying to fully comprehend what you're saying/meaning. Anybody telling you that theory will do you no good and is pointless has no idea what they are talking about at all and shouldn't be taken seriously. Is it necessary? Hell no. There are genres that made it a point NOT to know their shit.

Now, as far as your guitar playing goes, what kind of stuff do you do? Do you sit and learn songs you hear (probably through tablature) just to play them and have a little fun, or is it something you want to take a bit more seriously because it is fun and you enjoy it as more than a hobby?

That's really the question in wanting to learn theory and progress as a musician, honestly.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
well yeah for fun i guess, i don't want to become a pro in the future but enough to play some guitars and have a little fun(as a hobby)
Quote by Sean0913
The only person confused is you, my friend...your terms are backwards, and so is your understanding. So, if you want to limit your development to tabs and Green Day, that's up to you. Not everyone wants to learn to become better as a guitarist. Some want it for the talent show, and so on. Do what you want to do. If you're happy with the results, then thats what matters.

Many people find after a while that they want more, then they learn guitar chords, songs, and improve their sets. Your friend at best is incomplete and fairly ignorant and in no position to give advise to you. What should matter is that you decide for yourself whats important.

In summary, do what you want to do. If you ever get tired of that, come back and see us, and we'll do our best to help you from there. At this point, if this is all you want to do, I see no point in trying to straighten out all the other things that you have wrong. In the event that you ever want to take the guitar and your progress more seriously, I'm sure we can help you along and straighten out the misplaced advice that your friend has been laying on you.

Best,

Sean

yeah you pretty much summed it up. the only reason i would actually learn chords is to play certain parts of a song. I'm currently learning Paint it Black but the tabs never get the intro right. therefore, that made me switch my attention to chords and see if it sounds more correct.
Last edited by GimmeRock at Mar 16, 2011,
Quote by Sean0913
Why don't you want to get better at guitar? Most people here arent pros, but they know an awful lot.

Sean

it's quite a long and complicated story.
Paint it Black is not a guitar. It's a sitar. Furthermore, they aren't tuned standard, their pitch falls half between E and F...so no tabs are going to have it correct.

However, here's a vid link to help you learn it.

I think its cool youre trying to learn stuff like this, by the way.

Sean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW55tz0-6Pg
Quote by GimmeRock

What a load of crap. Punk songs are nearly completely chords. Your friend really does not know much, get him off that pedestal you have him on.

Look you either want to learn or not, if you dismiss everything your friend tells you then you'll just stay at his level, which is nothing. By his definition, an "advanced" guitarist is one who has the ability to play a song.
Soundcloud
Quote by Sean0913
Paint it Black is not a guitar. It's a sitar. Furthermore, they aren't tuned standard, their pitch falls half between E and F...so no tabs are going to have it correct.

However, here's a vid link to help you learn it.

I think its cool youre trying to learn stuff like this, by the way.

Sean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW55tz0-6Pg

thanks i've been searching endlessly for a correct paint it black tab but no luck. i didn't check in tab books so i may never know. btw i saw this video once, but never really took a lot of interest in it, but i may watch it again to see how it works. also i thought that keith played it on guitar...
Quote by GimmeRock
thanks i've been searching endlessly for a correct paint it black tab but no luck. i didn't check in tab books so i may never know. btw i saw this video once, but never really took a lot of interest in it, but i may watch it again to see how it works. also i thought that keith played it on guitar...

Geez that video starts with him referencing a D minor chord shape.
Soundcloud
Quote by GimmeRock

You gotta put some work in guy. You have to put some sweat in even to just show off at your talent show. If you continue on your path of delusion you won't be able to impress girls, because in the future, there will be a guy who takes your guitar out of your hands and literally "deflower" the instrument. Thus getting the opportunity to deflower the girls. Watch the damn video, pause it if you have to and do some research before you think you have the answer.
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
If you're looking at tab for Green Day songs, you ARE playing chords, just written in a specific format.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by loinmute
You gotta put some work in guy. You have to put some sweat in even to just show off at your talent show. If you continue on your path of delusion you won't be able to impress girls, because in the future, there will be a guy who takes your guitar out of your hands and literally "deflower" the instrument. Thus getting the opportunity to deflower the girls. Watch the damn video, pause it if you have to and do some research before you think you have the answer.

lol i don't want to impress girls they hate me :P and no i don't like guys
Quote by GimmeRock

Then quit guitar. Some things were never meant to be. No one can "give" you the motivation to want to be better. If your not willing to do anything....then don't. No sweat off my sack. Just go sell/pawn your gear and go buy a video game.
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Wanting just to play guitar for fun and not learning chords is like wanting to play Starcraft 2 just for fun and not use at least a few hot keys.

If you want to play guitar as a hobby, learning chords is a must. Not in a "this is what you have to do" way, but in a "why the hell wouldn't you learn chords, they're pretty easy and allow you to play tons of songs."

Chords aren't only for professionals, they're for anyone with an interest in playing guitar.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I fail to see the point of this thread, unless you're looking for excuses to not learn chords. In that case, you won't find them here.
Soundcloud
Quote by loinmute
Then quit guitar. Some things were never meant to be. No one can "give" you the motivation to want to be better. If your not willing to do anything....then don't. No sweat off my sack. Just go sell/pawn your gear and go buy a video game.

BLACK OPS with First Strike!!
Last edited by GimmeRock at Mar 17, 2011,
Quote by rockingamer2
Wanting just to play guitar for fun and not learning chords is like wanting to play Starcraft 2 just for fun and not use at least a few hot keys.

If you want to play guitar as a hobby, learning chords is a must. Not in a "this is what you have to do" way, but in a "why the hell wouldn't you learn chords, they're pretty easy and allow you to play tons of songs."

Chords aren't only for professionals, they're for anyone with an interest in playing guitar.

i only learned some chords, especially for learning paint it black though. so you can say i know Em,Bmaj Bmin,and Dminor. i probably wouldn't bother with anything else for now...
also,i originally wanted to play drums and bass, but i mysteriously end up on the guitar...so instead, i might pursue drumming/ Bass and then pick up a guitar again.
btw why is your avatar thomas jefferson?does he give you inspiration while playing guitar or something?
Last edited by GimmeRock at Mar 17, 2011,
Quote by GimmeRock

I think you're really confused power cords are cords. If you're playing you're already playing cords.

Learning the theory behind why certain notes are in any given cords really does help you be a better player even if it's just for fun.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by Willowthewitch
I think you're really confused power cords are cords. If you're playing you're already playing cords.

Learning the theory behind why certain notes are in any given cords really does help you be a better player even if it's just for fun.

ok that's actually real helpful
Quote by GimmeRock

btw why is your avatar thomas jefferson?does he give you inspiration while playing guitar or something?

I like Thomas Jefferson. It's not related to my playing at all.

On Topic:

There really is no reason not to know basic chords, even if guitar is just a hobby. Get a book from the library or check out basic lessons online to figure out how to play some beginner chords. What is so hard about memorizing some more chords?

Also, power chords are not chords. They are a just two notes, the root and the fifth, played at the same time (often the root is doubled). They have a similarity with actual chords (at least three notes played at the same time) because you have to use more than one finger at the same time, but they are not actual chords.

Example:

3X0033

That is a power chord, not an actual chord because only two actual notes are being played (the root and the fifth), even though five strings are sounding.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Mar 18, 2011,
Page 1 of 2