just want to know if guitar brands actually"use" the material on a guitar.for example, for a squier they say they use alder, but do they actually use alder or some cheap wood? another example is about epiphone. since there "big move" to china i don't know if they still use the same materials. i heard that the gibson plant uses "upgraded material" (grover tuners on most of the guitars and 100% USA made/designed pick ups)but mainly, do guitars use quality wood?most gibson/epiphone guitars uses mahogany(epiphone using industrial i think) fender is like alder or something but most brands uses similar wood. anyways just want to know if these guitar brands uses legitimate quality material and quality wood.
Of course they use the woods that they say they use - there's always someone who will sand off the finish and take a look, and they couldn't afford the law suits or the negative publicity.

There are different qualities of timber, and there are bodies made for 1,2,3,4,5 pieces of timber - that's why low end brands and high end brands use the same wood but at an entirely different price point.
Squier and Epiphone aren't lying when they say they're using alder and mahogany.

What you need to remember than no two types of wood are identical, and these companies can't usually afford the 'good stuff'.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
^ i dunno, i mean the mahogany used on cheaper guitars is arguably not real mahogany at all
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ i dunno, i mean the mahogany used on cheaper guitars is arguably not real mahogany at all
It's "real mahogany" in that it is a specieis of word classified as mahogany. It's just that it's not the same type of "Mahogany" that most people think of when they see the word "mahogany" and it's not the same species that's used in better guitars.

But it is, technically, "real mahogany". Just like how the Monster Raving Looney Party is, technically, a "real" political party.
Considering what they charge for MIA guitars, they'd goddamn well better be made of high quality stuff.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by grohl1987
It's "real mahogany" in that it is a specieis of word classified as mahogany. It's just that it's not the same type of "Mahogany" that most people think of when they see the word "mahogany" and it's not the same species that's used in better guitars.

But it is, technically, "real mahogany". Just like how the Monster Raving Looney Party is, technically, a "real" political party.

nah it's not

most of it isn't even the same species

technically swietenia macrophylla is about the only wood used for guitars which is really mahogany (and if you really want to get pedantic, only really swietenia mahogoni is, but at least macrophylla is closely related).

I mean I haven't seen guitars going for much less than a couple of grand which spec their mahogany as "honduran".

as an aside, i went to warmoth to check the latin name, as they used to use the proper stuff, but they seem to have switched to african now (which technically isn't mahogany, as it's a different species, khaya or something like that).

EDIT: i guess you're kinda technically right in that you can call it "mahogany" (with the inverted commas), lol.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 16, 2011,