So, I have had my SG since 2007, and the pickups haven't really been bothering me until now. There is a volume drop in between the neck and bridge pickups. The neck pickup doesn't sound bad to me, actually good! But I would change both. The bridge pickup sounds lifeless and has no energy. I want to be able to play Jazz or Jazzy blues in the neck, and blues/classic/alt in the bridge. Preferably 4 conductor wires for coil splitting, and do I need anything else besides the pickups? I was thinking about these:http://www.wcrguitar.com/american_steele.html

Thanks!
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

You may want to replace the potentiometers and rewire it so that you don't lose treble when you roll down the volume.

Also if you're putting in coil splitting, you're going to want new pots assuming you're not installing another switch. Push-push is recommended so you don't have to pull in the middle of a song, which can be pretty difficult at times.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Mar 15, 2011,
Quote by Darkflame
I have a SH-2n in my jaguar that sounds like what you're describing for the neck
and I totally agree with the Gibby SG's pickups being unbalanced in volume and not good, I've always felt this way about mine

i mean, when I am at high volumes on my amp it is not that much of a problem, but when I play at home, it feels dead. I just put my SG, my favorite guitar, down. The neck pickup actually sounds really nice for Jazz (clip in my profile), but I wouldn't want some boutique $200.00 pickup in the bridge and the neck to be Stock. Not sure how it would sound in the middle position, plus i want to be able to coil split both pickups.

Quote by Raijouta
You may want to replace the potentiometers and rewire it so that you don't lose treble when you roll down the volume.

Also if you're putting in coil splitting, you're going to want new pots assuming you're not installing another switch. Push-push is recommended so you don't have to pull in the middle of a song, which can be pretty difficult at times.

I know about the coil switching. I wouldn't be doing ANY of the work. I'd take it to my favorite guitar shop, and they're geniuses. The guy who started it wires most of his custom guitars like that, I would have him do what ever he thinks is the best for any of my guitars. He is yet to fail me, but it took me 2 years to convince him to intall a Bigsby. He says they are to floppy
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Last edited by kracdown at Mar 15, 2011,
I just realized, is this in the right sub forum? It has to do with customizing, accessories, and electric guitar If this in the wrong place, can a mod move it? Thanks
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

He's asking for a pickup recommendation, chill out. If the pickups have just recently started sounding bad, have the wiring checked out. It might be something as simple as replacing a pot or two, which is much less expensive than buying a new set of pickups. If you get new pickups, whatever the reason, some kind of PAF type set will probably work best for you. Most modern PAF style bridge pickups are wound a little hotter than an actual vintage pickup from the 50s, but thats what most people want nowadays anyway. A slightly lower output PAF style pickup in the neck will be able to get you the nice thick, round, smooth tone you want. Not sure how much you want to spend, but the Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Humbucker set would almost definitely work great for what you want. It's probably the most popular set of replacement pickups out there, and it's also probably the most versatile. They can do anything from super clean, warm jazz to heavy rock/metal and everything in between.
Quote by jon.peebles
He's asking for a pickup recommendation, chill out.

Have you checked out Bare Knuckle? They're likely to be awesome. I'm assuming you'll want something articulate in there and they have some pretty epic pickups for that.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

The pickups have always sounded the same. I have always been to nervous to change them though, what do I do if I don't like what I pick? I have't really got a set price, I just can't decided if I want to go Seymour Duncan, even though so many people swear by them, or go boutique. Any more recommendations?
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps: