It seems I spend a ton of time maintaining all of my guitars and not enough time playing them. I feel like every time I pull a guitar out of its case I find something wrong with it. Either the action is too high or I find buzzes in places on the neck which bother me, sometimes the electronics might develop issues as my Dillion has as of late. I like working on my guitars but I feel like keeping up a large collection is a bother. So what do you guys think? Is the labor that goes into owning a ton of guitars worth it or is it better to own one or two guitars to keep the work minimal? I love my guitars, but I hate the constant fiddling.
Got 3 acoustics...one needs a fret job, and a 4th is on the way...4 electrics...one works flawlessly, 1 needs fret work, 1 needs pickup fixing...they just plain out stopped working...the other guitar....im not even sure where the pieces are lol.

the 4th acoustic will be a decent quality so one of the cheap acoustics will need to go...

just too much to screw around with...
Last edited by WaltTheWerewolf at Mar 15, 2011,
This doesn't really happen to me. I mean the guitars get out of tune sometimes but that's pretty much it. Then again, I'm constantly playing them since I leave some guitars in different tunings.
Quote by Kortez3000
This doesn't really happen to me. I mean the guitars get out of tune sometimes but that's pretty much it. Then again, I'm constantly playing them since I leave some guitars in different tunings.

usually happens to me because the repairs take a long while to happen and im usually tight on money so it gets put off etc...

only reason i have more than 2 acoustics is because 1 is a 12 string and one is in standard, while the other is setup for DADGAD tuning...

but for now im not collecting anything else lol.
I like fixing guitars almost as much as I like playing them.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
There's time for playing and there's time for maintenance. I like to do both and I like repairing guitars but I know what you mean, Eventually you'll have a better idea what you want in a guitar and then some other guitars just turn into extra weight that you really don't need. I have two guitars in particular that are just weights, Like someone gave me an anchor for a nose piercing. I don't enjoy them and they just take up space so I'm going to get rid of them. Maybe not immediately (I might refret one) But I certainly don't need them.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
its not worth having a bunch of low to medium quality guitars, i would just sell them and get a few high quality guitars to cover each style you use the others for
To many guitars - haha.I buy a new guitar every month - i have them on a wall. 9 for the moment. I agree with TS: one always finds shit to fix. Yes,its worth it. I try to set them up proper but always room for improvement it seems,
Quote by SMMSWEDEN
To many guitars - haha.I buy a new guitar every month - i have them on a wall. 9 for the moment. I agree with TS: one always finds shit to fix. Yes,its worth it. I try to set them up proper but always room for improvement it seems,

excessive if you aren't over exaggerating.

OP: i recommend you get rid of a couple, and buy a nice expensive one. Matinence is a pain in the ass, but it's a means to an end.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I'd say the optimum is around 4 guitars.
That way you can have 2 for standard, 2 for an alternate tuning you use often.
Unless you use acoustics as well - then, 5 guitars should be fine.

Of course, that's assuming high-end guitars.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Mar 17, 2011,
There's no such thing as "too many guitars".
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
My floyd rose guitar needs new strings and a set up, my acoustic needs new strings, my Dean needs a new jack, and my bass needs new pots... etc. You get my point. I only spend money on the guitars that I play the most. My floyd is gonna be the first one worked on (it's vintage, gotta keep it in good shape).

But I don't really believe you can have too many guitars.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Having a large collection does not bother me. I don't mind the occasional maintenance and for the most part none of my guitars give me trouble...Just lucky I guess...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
'04 Tony Iommi Signature SG
'66 Harmony Bobkat
when you have as many guitars as i have, i will begin to consume you and take up every second of your free time.

but i'm ok with that
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by SKArface McDank
its not worth having a bunch of low to medium quality guitars, i would just sell them and get a few high quality guitars to cover each style you use the others for

Amen to that. I was having trouble with various inexpensive hollowbodies (couldn't get the action right to save my life and the tone was nothing special) so I sold them and bought a Gibson ES-137C. It has changed my life.
I think sometimes my taste in set ups change. Sometimes I like my action real low. Others I want it up a bit more. Maybe I want to play around with my pick up height. It is usually little stuff like that. Yeah every once and a while my guitars develop issues from natural wear and tear. A switch goes dead after years of play or the frets need to be leveled because they are a little worn. I think I am just to picky and my wants change to quickly. If I have one little buzz on my guitar and my action is good I will want to level the frets.
Quote by SKArface McDank

Totally agree with this.
*PROFILE NOT IN USE*
i slimmed my collection down from 35+ to around 18. i play what electrics i have on my wall basically which is 11 of them. then i have two in cases (one is a 50's no namer, which has been in the family for three generations now, and the other is a guitar that i just don't need.

on my wall i have six gibsons. one in open G for slide, four in standard tuning, and one in drop B.

i have two wolfgangs, one with trem, one without, so they both see regualar action.

then i have a lonely strat. this is an MIM, but its an early 90's model, and it just sounds mind blowing for a cheap fender strat. the pickups are really nice. i actually like them better than per say the texas specials, etc that fender makes.

then i have five classicals, all pre 1965, one pre WWII worth about $5,000, and the other four are Yamaha NIppon Gakki's, the pre WWII is in a case (naturally i don't play something that rare that often) this paticualr luthier only produced less than 500 guitars in italy, until they were produced in a factory (worth like $200-300. i have one nippon gakki i am currently working on, and the other three get played. the one that gets played the most is the most beaten up, but it sounds marvelous.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/