Great things that should be/should have been allowed to die with dignity

Page 1 of 5
Like most of you, I have seen many great things from my childhood raped into oblivion by corporate greed. Whether it be games, tv shows, movies, or even something like food, I want you to name some great things that should be or should have been allowed to die with dignity. I'll start:

Star Trek. The first 2 (arguably 3) series were fantastic, but as time passed the ideas slowed, and the greed of the owners escalated. Terrible episodes and even worse movies were rushed out to try and milk the audience of every last penny they were willing to spend. Star Trek is likely dead now (**** the 2009 movie) and I'm thankful for it. I couldn't bare to see another Enterprise.

Pokemon. A big part of a lot of our childhoods, pokemon ran strong for many years. It seems like they're not even trying anymore. They come up with the same story every time a new game comes out, they alter some old pokemon slightly and change their names (or they rip off digimon), and then they sell it to legions of gullible kids who'll buy anything with the word POKEMON slapped on the cover. Pokemon is on its deathbed and needs someone to pull the plug before it becomes the lifeless vegetable in the hospital that sucks up all of your time and money while you hope, in vain, that it will someday wake up.

Land Before Time. Don't even make me go there.
Check out my band Disturbed
Skins. Should of let it die after the second series. That's all I've got right now.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Spongebob. When the movie came out, it all went straight down from there.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Luckily I never watched The Land Before Time before it apparently went in the shitter.

Sonic The Hedgehog. Sonic Adventure 2 was his last good game. After that, he should have either stopped or just only been a handheld game, as those were the only ones that remained good.

Cartoon Network. I can still watch Nickolodeon. They look like they at least still appeal to kids nowadays. Cartoon Network looks like a really lazy network that plays some pretty old reruns.

That '70s Show (not from my childhood though). Giving Donna Blonde hair was a great idea as it's the way of letting viewers know when to change the channel.
Quote by JayT44
Spongebob. When the movie came out, it all went straight down from there.
I still love it and the movie.
I pretty much agree with everything said so far
Rush Rocks

Quote by Braiton
If Beiber is our generation's Cobain I can't see how that is a bad thing.
Just make sure the shotgun is loaded.
Black and White are the best Pokemon games to date. Shut your whore mouth.

Also, Megaman X. The creator wanted it to end at X5, but Capcom demanded more sequels. Thus, the horrible X6, X7, and mediocre X8 were released.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Metallica
Saw (shoulda stopped after 3 IMO)
Jim Morrison
Scary Movie 3 (That's where i draw the line)
All the other mock "____ Movies" should have died before they started

Oh holy shit how could i forget, Guns 'N' Roses!
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Nothing. Let it all die a horrible death, then the art will feel like a human's life
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Alright, I have the plan to save Pokémon. It involves the words gritty, and reboot.

And it'd be totally badass.
Quote by PlayMadness
Black and White are the best Pokemon games to date. Shut your whore mouth.

Same game just updated graphics, gameplay, etc. and you know it.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by The Madcap
I still love it and the movie.

The movie was way too childish for my liking, and after it the show started to seem to really jump the shark, in my opinion.

I miss the glory days of Spongebob, when Manray unfroze from his tunnel, Spongebob could jump from dream to dream, and the Hash-slinging Slasher gave me nightmares.

Quote by vicarious46
Metallica
Saw (shoulda stopped after 3 IMO)
Scary Movie 3 (That's where i draw the line)
All the other mock "____ Movies" should have died before they started

Death Magnetic was amazing. See to the door.

Saw 4 and 5 were super good. I haven't watched the sixth yet. Maybe I'll do that tonight...

Agree with the others.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Quote by Spartan101400
To all the people who will say Star Wars, what's wrong with you?

But, Star Trek, Robocop

The prequels didn't do the originals justice and you know it. I don't hate the prequels, I enjoy them because of a) nostalgia and b) it's Star Wars. But movie wise, they just aren't as good.
Quote by Spartan101400
To all the people who will say Star Wars, what's wrong with you?

But, Star Trek, Robocop
Star Wars in 3D, that's what
Rush Rocks

Quote by Braiton
Oh, and Shrek should've stopped after the second movie.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
I agree with Cartoon Network, it used to be so awesome.

Escape The Fate. They should've broke up after Ronnie was kicked out, but instead they continue to make terrible music with Craig Mabbitt.

Halo. The first two games, and I guess the third were good, I enjoyed them, but Halo 3 ODST was terrible, and so was Halo Wars (Not a fan of RTS games). I haven't played Reach but I don't believe it could be as good at any of the first 3.

I also agree with star wars.

Webkinz. Does anyone remember that? It used to be awesome, until they started coming out with all this new stupid shit and getting rid of my favorite Webkinz. You're dead to me.

Love songs. The 80's gave us enough to last us for a long ass time. Plus I tire of hearing all these stupid love songs (Especially sex songs that use metaphors every 2.5529783 seconds).

/rant
Originally Posted by Azbats63
I'm the only white guy in a band in El Paso. My bandmates call me El Diablo Blanco. They tell me it means "trusted friend."
Quote by steee21
Simpsons should have ended after season 10.
Red Dwarf should never have had Back to Earth.

sure theres more.

I think the Simpsons had a few good seasons after their tenth. If Fox would actually play them instead of repeating seasons 18 and up.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Quote by IzRG350
Scrubs
They really overused the gay little endings to their episodes. I mean when that stuff happens once in a blue moon, it's nice and sweet to watch. When it's almost every episode with some sappy acoustic music in the background ending the show, shit gets really old fast.

Like this shit every episode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzh1_p7CVYQ#t=2m1s
Quote by steee21

The Simpsons continues to be one of the most consistently funny shows on TV. There was a minor drop from seasons 11-14 but it's gone right back up. It seems everyone on the internet is just jumping on the "Simpsons isn't as good as it used to be" bandwagon.

To the point!

Firefly should have died with dignity, although the show was never given respect (from FOX) from the start.

Shrek should have never had a sequel.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Jusman
Star Wars in 3D, that's what
This I don't get.

I didn't mind the prequels, but I can getwhy people don't like those. I can also get why people don't like the remakes in the '90s of the originals (that dance scene in Return Of The Jedi was the worst thing Star Wars has ever made, and Return Of The Jedi was my favorite Star Wars movie).

But if Star Wars is made in 3D, and as long as it doesn't look bad in 3D, what's the problem? I think those movies would be pretty cool to watch in 3D. I'll admit I'm upset that they're starting with Episode I and not Episode IV, but there's a lot of areas in those movies that would translate well in 3D. If they can pull it off and make it look good in 3D and not like Clash Of The Titans, then I wish them godspeed.

Plus the obligatory "You don't have to watch it if you don't want to"argument.
Last edited by The Madcap at Mar 15, 2011,
A show that did die with dignity, and died too soon?

Arrested Development.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Quote by steee21
Red Dwarf should never have had Back to Earth.

sure theres more.

The Simpsons has been getting worse lately but you have to admit that the cheech and chong episode was awesome.
Quote by JayT44
A show that did die with dignity, and died too soon?

Arrested Development.

Too soon.
Quote by The Madcap
That '70s Show (not from my childhood though). Giving Donna Blonde hair was a great idea as it's the way of letting viewers know when to change the channel.

For the most part this, although I did like the introduction of Hyde's real dad into the mix and a couple of the stand-alone plots (the muffler shop, for instance).
GUNDAM

gundam seed was the biggest load of crap I've ever seen.
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Quote by diofan88
GUNDAM

gundam seed was the biggest load of crap I've ever seen.

I've liked all of the Gundam series

But I will say this.

YUGIOH

First was best, the rest sucked.
Yu Gi Oh I ****ing agree with. GX was shit, and I don't even know what the new one is. But without Yugi, Joey, Mai, Kaiba, Tea and Pegasus the series is ballsy
I'm the only white guy in a band in El Paso. My bandmates call me El Diablo Blanco. They tell me it means "trusted friend."
The only reason people don't like Cartoon Network now is because they're grown up so of course children's cartoons won't appeal to them unless it's a cartoon from your childhood. For the record some of the shows on there are alright.

And the newest Pokemon games are great.
Quote by The Madcap
This I don't get.

I didn't mind the prequels, but I can getwhy people don't like those. I can also get why people don't like the remakes in the '90s of the originals (that dance scene in Return Of The Jedi was the worst thing Star Wars has ever made, and Return Of The Jedi was my favorite Star Wars movie).

But if Star Wars is made in 3D, and as long as it doesn't look bad in 3D, what's the problem? I think those movies would be pretty cool to watch in 3D. I'll admit I'm upset that they're starting with Episode I and not Episode IV, but there's a lot of areas in those movies that would translate well in 3D. If they can pull it off and make it look good in 3D and not like Clash Of The Titans, then I wish them godspeed.

Plus the obligatory "You don't have to watch it if you don't want to"argument.

I'd have no problem if the 3D effect actually works, but if you just look at the add-ons they've made in the past it seems seriously unlikely.
To me it's just some dumbass gimmick George Lucas is slapping on so he can release Star Wars into theaters again. Star Wars is just a giant cash cow now for him, and I honestly don't think he'll ever stop adding on to it.

Not to mention that I find 3D to be just a complete waste, but that's a personal preference I guess.

And I don't know if it's been said but Digimon, I watched episodes of the first season every day, even my mom got into it eventually. The second season came around, I watched the first episode of it and haven't watched it since.
Rush Rocks

Quote by Braiton
Last edited by Jusman at Mar 15, 2011,
Quote by j-falafel
I agree with Cartoon Network, it used to be so awesome.

Escape The Fate. They should've broke up after Ronnie was kicked out, but instead they continue to make terrible music with Craig Mabbitt.

Halo. The first two games, and I guess the third were good, I enjoyed them, but Halo 3 ODST was terrible, and so was Halo Wars (Not a fan of RTS games). I haven't played Reach but I don't believe it could be as good at any of the first 3.

I also agree with star wars.

Webkinz. Does anyone remember that? It used to be awesome, until they started coming out with all this new stupid shit and getting rid of my favorite Webkinz. You're dead to me.

Love songs. The 80's gave us enough to last us for a long ass time. Plus I tire of hearing all these stupid love songs (Especially sex songs that use metaphors every 2.5529783 seconds).

/rant

Halo is one of my favorite series and I think Reach is the best one. Jetpacks are so much win.
What are you dense?
Are you retarded or something?
Who the hell do you think I am?
I'm the goddamn Batman.

April 19th, 2011: The Night of the Boob

I think Star Wars has been milked so much that nothing could justify it. The original Clone Wars series wasn't that bad. The new one=shit. The prequels I don't mind. The games basically suck too, except the Force Unleashed I enjoyed. George Lucas... I don't know who's worse, him or Gene Simmons, sometimes.
Quote by j-falafel
I think Star Wars has been milked so much that nothing could justify it. The original Clone Wars series wasn't that bad. The new one=shit. The prequels I don't mind. The games basically suck too, except the Force Unleashed I enjoyed. George Lucas... I don't know who's worse, him or Gene Simmons, sometimes.

Star Wars games for the most part have been fantastic, dude.
Check out my band Disturbed
Johnny Unitas
Brett Favre
Pokemon games (the show is still good) ever since Gold and Silver, the games have been downhill. Diamond and Pearl were AWFUL.
Page 1 of 5