I was just wondering how much it would run me and how risky it would be to have a Floyd Rose installed on a Gibson Flying V. Alternatively, does anyone know where I could get a V with a FR on it? ESP used to sell an LTD V that had a Floyd, but it's no longer on their website and I don't like headstocks that have all tuners on one side. I much prefer the Gibson Style headstock, so basically it has to have a Floyd, at least Epiphone/LTD quality level, preferably a 3-per-side headstock, and be under $1300. I would like to stick with a new guitar, as I'm not big on buying this one used.

Thanks for you help
There are plenty of Schecter v (insert series here)- fr floating around. There are the 1's the hell raisers, and the the black jack atx's (imo the best from schecter) all are fairly easy to find.

The only gibson with a floyd, is the Zakk Wylde custom thats like $4000.

You'd be happiest with the schecter i think
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
Quote by Jaredmkl
There are plenty of Schecter v (insert series here)- fr floating around. There are the 1's the hell raisers, and the the black jack atx's (imo the best from schecter) all are fairly easy to find.

The only gibson with a floyd, is the Zakk Wylde custom thats like $4000.

You'd be happiest with the schecter i think

I'll check them out...i forgot Schecter even made V's. I would NEVER buy a signature guitar anyway. I thought about trying to get a Tribal V, but they look awful. I really like the Cherry V's from Gibson, but they don't make them with a Floyd. They have the damn LP Axcess, but not a V Axcess. Damn assholes...lol

EDIT: i just checked Guitar Center's website and Schecter's website and the only V they sell is the Gary Holt V which is a signature and it has two different sized legs (i hate that as well). You guys did see the part where I want to buy new, right? Also, it basically has to be from Guitar Center, as they are one of two Gibson dealers within an hours drive from where I live, and the other one usually just has the same stock as Guitar Center.
Last edited by Blktiger0 at Mar 15, 2011,
Try looking for some used Flying V's. I know in the 80's Gibson made a few different models with Floyds and Kahler trems. They will probably be around your budget, too.

You may want to look at the DBZ Cavallo series. I know Premier Series come with Floyds for right around $900, and the specs are very nice. Another V from them is the Venom. Just look up both models. If you were to get a Venom in white with gold bevels, I would steal it from you, just saying, but yeah, check out DBZ. You can buy them online from Best-Buy and a few other online shops.

You could look for old Kramer V's, too.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Mar 15, 2011,
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Try looking for some used Flying V's. I know in the 80's Gibson made a few different models with Floyds and Kahler trems. They will probably be around your budget, too.

You may want to look at the DBZ Cavallo series. I know Premier Series come with Floyds for right around $900, and the specs are very nice. Another V from them is the Venom. Just look up both models. If you were to get a Venom in white with gold bevels, I would steal it from you, just saying, but yeah, check out DBZ. You can buy them online from Best-Buy and a few other online shops.

You could look for old Kramer V's, too.

Those DBZ guitars are ****ing eyecandy...I absolutely LOVE the Trans Green Venom....there are literally only TWO things that I would ever change about it, and that is make the bridge pickup an EMG 60 and make the headstock arrow shaped...and I have the ability to fix one of those....as a plus, it's brand shares the initials of my favorite childhood TV show... (Dragon Ball Z)

I'll take a look at your other suggestions too, but that one pretty much seals the deal....it's absolutely perfect...
Quote by Blktiger0
I'll check them out...i forgot Schecter even made V's. I would NEVER buy a signature guitar anyway. I thought about trying to get a Tribal V, but they look awful. I really like the Cherry V's from Gibson, but they don't make them with a Floyd. They have the damn LP Axcess, but not a V Axcess. Damn assholes...lol

EDIT: i just checked Guitar Center's website and Schecter's website and the only V they sell is the Gary Holt V which is a signature and it has two different sized legs (i hate that as well). You guys did see the part where I want to buy new, right? Also, it basically has to be from Guitar Center, as they are one of two Gibson dealers within an hours drive from where I live, and the other one usually just has the same stock as Guitar Center.

Yeah They are 2010 models, really easy to buy new, Just don't look at guitar center's website, they take older models off the site, my guitar center has 3 of the older schecter v's and in person the asymmetrical fins are barely noticeable. I havn't tried the DBZ's so no comment, but dean has the razor back v, it's a sold guitar sound's pretty good, check it out.
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
Quote by Jaredmkl
Yeah They are 2010 models, really easy to buy new, Just don't look at guitar center's website, they take older models off the site, my guitar center has 3 of the older schecter v's and in person the asymmetrical fins are barely noticeable. I havn't tried the DBZ's so no comment, but dean has the razor back v, it's a sold guitar sound's pretty good, check it out.

I'm not a big Dean fan myself. I'll look at them still, but they have never really impressed me.
I'd look at the BC Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V. It's a damn fine guitar.

Personally, I wouldn't retrofit an OFR into a guitar. It's really expensive and will sap a lot of sustain. You're basically routing through the guitar in the bridge area.

That said, I have a guitar that was retrofitted with an OFR and I love it
ltd makes the Alexi Laiho signature which is a RR shaped V with a floyd rose 1000 which is supposed to be as good as an OFR
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
ltd makes the Alexi Laiho signature which is a RR shaped V with a floyd rose 1000 which is supposed to be as good as an OFR

I wouldn't get it. It costs more than an RR3 or the BC Rich and isn't as good as either. Plus, it only has one pickup (and that pickup sucks, IMO) and changing it out will cost even more.
Quote by trueamerican
I wouldn't get it. It costs more than an RR3 or the BC Rich and isn't as good as either. Plus, it only has one pickup (and that pickup sucks, IMO) and changing it out will cost even more.

the HZ's get more hate then deserved.....although it is a lower model EMG, its really not all that bad. and plus i was just throwing out something cause thats the only one that came to mind for that price/specs.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
although it is a lower model EMG, its really not all that bad.

Yes it is.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by EspTro

No offense, but that V misses literally everything that I am looking for...it's an asymmetrical body shape one fin is shorter) it has all 6 tuners on one side of the headstock, it's a signature model, and (this isn't in the post, but it still applies) I think any guitar that has only one pickup is absolutely worthless. Not to mention the HZ's are pretty shitty, especially for a professional pickup brand.

No offense to Randy Rhoads, but asymmetrical V's are absolutely ugly...it reminds me of an amputee V cause it looks like one of it's legs/fins/arms got chopped off and now it has a stub...
Then get the BC Rich!!! It doesn't have an ugly headstock, unfortunately has 6-in-line tuners (but it's a reverse headstock, so bonus points there), it's neck-thru, has EMGs, an OFR, and is sexy as ****.

Plus, it's only about $750 new, so you can take the $550 left over and start saving for your next guitar/amp/accessory. It's pretty much the best option, unless the 3-per-side tuners are THAT big of a deal to you.
Quote by trueamerican
Then get the BC Rich!!! It doesn't have an ugly headstock, unfortunately has 6-in-line tuners (but it's a reverse headstock, so bonus points there), it's neck-thru, has EMGs, an OFR, and is sexy as ****.

Plus, it's only about $750 new, so you can take the $550 left over and start saving for your next guitar/amp/accessory. It's pretty much the best option, unless the 3-per-side tuners are THAT big of a deal to you.

Oh, i forgot about this...the only reason I don't like BC Rich V's is they have that weird little twinge looking thing at the end of the fins of the V, and if they don't have that then they're a KK sig. I really like that DBZ V, but in the end it'll come down to playability. I'm willing to spend a bit more on this guitar anyway, as I already have an Epi LP Standard with Duncan pups that I put in it. I just want something a bit more metal and I absolutely love V's. I'll eventually probably pick up a Gibson V in cherry just because I like em.

However, I was originally gonna pick up a BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X. Those things are ****ing sexy as hell. Only one thing turned me off though....them damn short scale neck...who does that?

"ok guys, we are gonna make this drop dead sexy guitar. Flat Black with Gold binding and hardware. Put an OFR on it, give it the EMG 81/60 combo, nice thick fretwire, hell, we'll even put Grover Super Rotomatics on it, just for the hell of it. Then, make sure it's fretboard is as black as it's soul, and we'll top off this shredder's dream with a short scale to make it hard as shit for anyone over 100lbs to fit their fingers between the upper frets."

EDIT: I'll still try out some BC Rich V's, but honestly, if you're buying a V, you're buying it because it looks like sex, not just because of playability, so I get pretty picky about my V's...
Last edited by Blktiger0 at Mar 16, 2011,
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
1) Open Google Translator
2) Set it from English to Vietnamese
3) Type "Will Justin Bieber ever hit puberty"
4) Translate
5) Copy the Vietnamese text
6) Translate back from Vietnamese to English
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
ESP or Jackson would be the way to go. Or, if you like Dimebag stuff, Dean makes some cool V models with floyds.

B.C. Rich's are good, but I'm not a huge fan of them (Bodies and headstocks are kinda ridiculous).
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT