Ok, so I have a Jackson RR3 (Red Erie dess Swirl). I love it but I also dislike the colour ALOT, I dislike red. So a local shop is doing an offer for trade in's put towards new guitars and I have been debating seeing how much A Xiphos will run me.
How do these guitars stand up? I dont get a chance to play it pre ordering it.
Are they pretty much equal? specs wise? or is one out weigh the other?
I am afraid that I will get the xiphos and miss my RR3, but at the same time I think I will get the xiphos and fall inlove.

Jackson RR3 (Red Eriedess Swirl)
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Last edited by Sheepbane at Mar 15, 2011,
I love Jasckson but, Xiphos > RR3.

It has a better trem, (jackson licensed trems fail.),

It's neck thru which will give better sustain and tone and also get rid of that stupid block where it's bolted.

Much better pick ups.

High quality build.

It's gonna sound a lot different due to the pick ups change and the fact that it's mahogany, the rr3 is alder. So the tone wood on the jackson is brighter.

The D activators are nice and heavy, personally I find the JB/Jazz set dull and lifeless sounding.

Xiphos > RR3.

Btw I used to own a RR3

EDIT: This is all opinion! You need to go try it to figure out if it feels and sounds right to you. Cause I can guarantee, what sounds to you or me or some other random guy, might not sound good to the next person. Only you can decide what sounds better between those to. Go try them both, and A/B them and see which one you love. Before you make a post to go trade the guitar
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
Last edited by Jaredmkl at Mar 15, 2011,
Quote by trueamerican
Oli Herbert uses a Xiphos. 'Nuff said.

+ 10000000000000
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
I have the cheaper XP300FX Xiphos and an RR24 (no idea how similar that is to the RR3). The RR24 is better in every way, I hate playing the Xiphos. Also you can't play standing up with the Xiphos unless you prop up one of your legs.
The Xiphos is prone to tip breakage, the factory strap location sucks and if you're not careful it'll do a headstock dive on you in a second.

And I absolutely LOVE mine! (XPT 700) It fits me like no other guitar I've ever held, and I've held a lot of 'em.

Most folks either love 'em or hate 'em, there isn't much middle ground.
Last edited by Arby911 at Mar 16, 2011,
Quote by farmosh203
I have the cheaper XP300FX Xiphos and an RR24 (no idea how similar that is to the RR3). The RR24 is better in every way, I hate playing the Xiphos. Also you can't play standing up with the Xiphos unless you prop up one of your legs.

well duh the rr24 is better. You compared a low end guitar to a high end one. But to the op id say get the xiphos all the way. Ive played both guitars and the xiphos just was a force to be reckoned with. too bad i didnt have money...
Quote by Arby911
The Xiphos is prone to tip breakage, the factory strap location sucks and if you're not careful it'll do a headstock dive on you in a second..

They fixed the Xiphos strap position as of 2011 models. Check their website its moved to where it WONT neck dive.

To the TS. I have the XPT707FX, the 7 string model. And I LOVE it to DEATH. Seriously. The straplocks have bin moved to where it wont neck dive, so if you ever get the ones with the fail strap positions, check the net you'd find where you can move it so it wont dive. But you'd have to drill it open so prepare to lose resale value. XD