Hello,

I already know the basics of modes (of the major scale) and know how to deal with them. I have explored them a little bit and I have the ideia of how they sound. Now I want to explore the modes of the harmonic minor scale, but I have a problem. While I was searching for this, I found many stuff about it, I couldn't even find 2 results with the same information. Found many weird names with #1's (wtf) on jazz forums, and other things on other pages, didn't know what was right or wrong...

I was hoping you could help me with this, I just want to explore those "new modes".

I also have another question. Is it possible to create modes of other scales (not major and harmonic minor) i.e melodic minor or others?

Thanks!
There are modes of any scale you want. It's about how you treat them that makes them modes.

They all work the exact same that normal modes do, except you have to change the chord underneath. If you do a drone note you can still play whatever you want over it. For instance, over a drone C you can play any of the parallel modes of C Harmonic Minor (Like Phrygian Dominant, Lydian b3, etc.).
You can derive modes from any scale, just like Diminished said.

As for the first question, you'll find that modes of scales such as Harmonic Minor and Melodic Minor have very odd names, and as far as I know, there isn't a standard name for each, unlike how the modes of the major scale all of a set in stone name. Usually, they're just named in respect to other scales. Like a Lydian #6 mode, it's named so because it is a Lydian scale with a #6. Try not to get too caught up in the names, but rather what each mode is. And when someone says that they're going to play a Phrygian Dominant b5 #7 Diminished mode (Which is not a real mode ), just be sure that you know what they're talking about.
Last edited by aCloudConnected at Mar 16, 2011,