I've got a gig coming up, a rather large one, and I want to use two half stacks instead of a full stack like a usually do. I do not want to have a lot of wires and pedals and such. My stomp box consists of: "Switch Channels" and "Effects On/Off". I want to keep it this way, Quasimodo. Can I output though the first amps headphone/line out jack into the next's FX Loop In jack? Will this fry anything? I'd like to not damage any equipment.
what are the two amps? do you want both tones, or just sound coming from both?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Well, you could get an A/B box, it shouldn't add much to your board...
Quote by Trowzaa
I can't look at anything starting with BB and not thinking big busty.
Big Busty Queefing.
If its a large gig then mic your amp. Running two half stacks will probably cause alot of stage volume problems, not to mention possibly muddying up your tone alot if you don't set em right.

Point is: Mic it if you have to. Running two amps for any reason other than wanting to just combine their tones will most likely end up causing more problems.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Yeah, I just want to use one amp for tone, and the other for more volume. They are both Marshall heads through Marshall cabs. The problem with getting an A/B box would be that I would have to switch channels and effects on both amps rather than just one, not cool brah. I'm not worried about tone, I've got that handled.

Also, I can't mic them because we only have so many mics. We are already using a lot of them. 3 for vocals and a bunch more for drums. This seemed to be my only option, plus it would look cool
Please, please, tell me said amps aren't MG's
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
what can I say? I'm broke, man. They can sound great, you have to know how to use them. I've seen people with JCM's and loads of pedals and still sound like crap. It's all right though, they're older MG stacks, not the new one's with the stupid "MG" logo the size of Texas on the front.

Sorry Dylan, at least I didn't say "No, they're those 5 watt portable stacks. They sound great but I run through so many 9 volts the dollar store cashiers think I'm a terrorist"
derp derp derp. just point them at the back of the stage and have the sound bounce back to the front.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by JD Close
Sorry Dylan, at least I didn't say "No, they're those 5 watt portable stacks. They sound great but I run through so many 9 volts the dollar store cashiers think I'm a terrorist"

If you adjust your amp frequently I don't see two amps working. Whatever that was you thought about doing is a bad idea in many, many ways.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
actually, its a metal band, i only use my stomp box twice through the whole set. Once to switch channels, and once to turn on effects. So I'm not worried about that. I'm just saying to use it add more volume. Also, no, the amps will be towards the audience. It's outdoors, there isn't much of a "back of the stage".

BTW I know a guy with those 5 watt portable stacks, they're actually pretty cool
Better solution...

Sell one of your MG's and muy a mic
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Erm, why do you need more volume exactly?

Assuming this is your amp

If you dont have enough volume i'm assuming
a. You cant EQ to save your life
b. Your amps are broke
c. You're almost totally deaf

The whole connecting the amps together through the headphone jack -> fx loop doesnt seem plausible. Wouldnt plugging into the headphone jack mute the speakers?

If the MGs have paralell FX loops you could just take the send from amp one and plug it into the input of amp 2. Though you'll be getting all the gain and whatnot from the first amp.

Otherwise you could just buy a proper ABY pedal that are made to do this kind of thing.

2 mg half stacks but not enough cash for a decent amp? I think not dude.
While I do not think that particular model of MG is bad(I actually like them to be honest) buying two is a complete waste of money.
The practice space I used to go to have those amps, and I could actually make them sound decent. People never really try these amps out. They think that all MGs are bad but really, only the new ones suck. The oldest ones are relatively good for the price.

In my opinion, bringing anything more than a 4x12" to a gig is ridiculous, unless it is an Ampeg 8x10" cab. Always wanted one. Then I could have one 4x10" Ampeg combo with an 8x10" Extension Cab. That'd be twelve 10" speakers!
..I was watching my death.
i have a full stack, and im using my friend's head. Trust me, my EQ is fine, and so are the amps, but this is a large outdoor gig. And plugging through the headphone jack would mute the speakers, but there are ways to get around it, it's weird. I've heard of other people doing this and it working, but then again I've heard people say "there's no way you can blow a bass amp no matter what" immediately before saying "my god, my bass amp is on fire" <- true story

So I just wanted to check with UG'ers to see what you guys had to say about it
to be honest, I'm just worried I might fry something or wreck my amps, but it doesn't sound like I will, that's why I was asking
so this large outdoor gig isn't supplying a PA system?
Main Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster
Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr. NR, Vintage Fender Twin Reverb (early SF)
Effects from Wampler, Keeley, and others

Session Guitarist out of Pittsburgh
We rented out the facility ourselves, straight from the city with no middle man so no PA system, it's all the band's equipment, we are renting a massive PA, but as far as anything being supplied, all we get is free electricity, its lame. I'm thinking of micing it as well to get the wall of sound
Quote by blkdtr
so this large outdoor gig isn't supplying a PA system?

Pretty much this.
You should rethink were you're playing if your expecting to fill a field or something with no PA system. Itd just sound like ass from the back without a proper PA.

^Uhh, if that was an option why didnt you just do that?
Last edited by beckyjc at Mar 17, 2011,
Quote by JD Close
We rented out the facility ourselves, straight from the city with no middle man so no PA system, it's all the band's equipment, we are renting a massive PA, but as far as anything being supplied, all we get is free electricity, its lame. I'm thinking of micing it as well to get the wall of sound

if you're renting a massive PA system, I'm assuming some stage monitors are included? trust me, just mic up your amp. with the aid of the monitors, you'll be able to get a nice stage volume, plus you can mix your guitar as loud as you want through the mains.

hell, even without the monitors, you should be able to get a fine stage volume with just your half stack....but still mic your amp so you're coming through the mains.

EDIT: the more you play, and as you start playing larger and larger gigs, you'll find that mic'ing the entire band is the norm. if you want some tips on mic'ing your amp (not sure if you've had to do this a lot), let us know
Main Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Last edited by blkdtr at Mar 17, 2011,
Its a very strange idea to expect your guitar rig to fill a decent venue nevermind a field. You HAVE to mic the guitars else I promise you are going to get feedback and it will ruin your show. Plus with that amount of volume pumping over the stage you will all go deaf.

If you want to look cool, take both amps and both cabs to the gig and leave one unplugged. That way you wont make a horrible mess and you get the image you want.
yeah, upon some moving around different things I've noticed I could mic the full stack. Any way to get it to not affect the tone as much? Every time I've played with a mic it changes the tone and takes away the balls from it, you know? What can I do to keep the tone I want?
^ I'm not about to pull an Yngwie and have a wall of amps and only use a couple haha

Image shouldn't matter if you know how to play your instruments
Quote by JD Close
yeah, upon some moving around different things I've noticed I could mic the full stack. Any way to get it to not affect the tone as much? Every time I've played with a mic it changes the tone and takes away the balls from it, you know? What can I do to keep the tone I want?

mic placement is large part of getting a great tone through the PA. don't mic the direct center of your speaker...move it maybe an inch or two or three off center. you'll really need to experiment with it to see what sounds best.

also, one thing you need to know is that tone you're hearing on stage is rarely what's heard through the PA. if you can set up early enough before people arrive, set up and mic your amp....then (with either a long cable or wireless system), walk out to where the crowd is going to be standing. play some and listen to your tone...walk back to your amp and tweak...keep repeating this until you're satisfied with your tone through the PA, since that is what the crowd is going to hear.

a quality mic is important too. industry standard for mic'ing guitar amps is the Shure SM57. i use this and it works great. obviously, work with whatever you have for now...but down the line it's going to be beneficial to pick up a mic. the SM57 is only like $100.
Main Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Last edited by blkdtr at Mar 17, 2011,
btw...don't do this:

not saying you would do this...but it's a pretty funny pic
Main Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard

haha, nice pic. I can't imagine anyone being stupid enough to do that.