What is the best way to prevent cracking a pre-finished body when installing trem studs? Is it just to put tape down over the finish, draw the guide dot on the tape, and drill straight through the tape? How would I even know where to drill the holes for a two-points strat trem?
Anxiously Anticipating An Attractive ADA-MP1 Addition!
be careful. just go slow and make sure you don't go too deep or you twist the bit. make sure it goes straight down. If you are not sure about this, take it to a good luthier.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
The faster the drill bit is going, the cleaner the cut. I'd put some tape down and drill through the tape so your shavings don't scratch the finish. Are you putting the strat trem in an existing hole?

To line up trems put some tape down and mark the center line on the neck and on the body. And align the part of the trem between the two middle saddles with the line. Before drilling get some wire or something and put it where your strings are going to be and make sure you've got it where you want it. When it comes to distance from the nut, go here: http://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator and put your measurements in and down the bottom it should tell you at what distance to put your bridge.
And make sure you use a spur bit (brad point) which will score the finish whilst drilling and not just push through.
start with a small drill bit and slowly increase the diameter until you are at your goal.
yeah I said it. What.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
So in the end, be careful, but even still it's not THAT easy to get killed to death.