Page 1 of 2
http://www.foxcarolina.com/news/27196416/detail.html

this is my University, so I'm sort of concerned.

Also, the guy who "doesn't feel safe" is a goddamned senior, you can deal with your insecurities for another two months in the same way you have dealt with it for three and a half years
Isn't the solution obvious? TAKE DOWN THE GODDAMN SIGN. It's not the policy that's making people uncomfortable, it's that to some people, a sign that says "firarms prohibited on campus" means "defenseless students this way -->".

My school doesn't allow guns except in the police academy program, but we don't need a sign.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
quote:"To me, this doesn't say it's a gun-free zone," McNutt said, while standing beside a sign reading firearms are prohibited on campus..."

1. McNutt
2. HAhahahahahahahhahahahahaha!!! to both!

Guy sounds like a prick btw.
Yes, I have done that, and it indeed, was incredible.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not there...

"Pursue Happiness, With Diligence"
maybe by only the staff, i didnt read, but if the students are asking for gun rights then thats really very stupid
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
You crazy Americans and your guns.

Seriously though, this is totally unneccessary. Why would you need a gun at school?

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
I actually had a discussion about something similar today. I do believe that people who have concealed carry permits Should be allowed to carry them on school campuses. In order to get a concealed carry permit it is an extensive process (at least in NC, i would guess its very similar in SC). You have to get a background check not just consisting of criminal history, but your mental well being is checked with hospitals throughout the state. You have to take classes on safety and such, fill out many forms and then there is a period that can take months to acquire the permit. Also the Federal law is handguns must be purchased by individuals 21 and older, so no worries about teens slinging guns around.

In the end my view is that the right for a safe civilian individual to bear arms is the 2nd amendment. If students were allowed to use concealed carry permits on campus then who knows, maybe college massacres like VT could have been stopped early on. I've lived in some rough parts of NC, and even had plenty of guns confiscated from my school in high school years. But i know when I am of age, i will take advantage of the right we are lucky to have and own and a handgun/CC permit.
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
Quote by Maggot3000
In the end my view is that the right for a safe civilian individual to bear arms is the 2nd amendment.

Furman is a private University, though, so it doesn't technically have to give us our second amendment rights.
Sounds like this Luke fella is an idiot.

There is objective evidence that supports that a increase in firearms in an area increase the amount of crimes committed by firearms in that same area. Think about it this way, there are more firearms related deaths in Texas annually, than there are in France, Germany, Great Britain, Switzerland, Austria and Japan combined.

That bullshit argument that allowing an increase in firearms will reduce crime is greater than or equal to ****ing retarded. It just increases the lethality of crimes committed.

I'd rather be held up by someone with a knife (and I have been), which is actually unarguably harder to kill someone with than a firearm. And it's much more likely to overcome someone with a knife than it is with someone with a gun. And it's possible to run away from someone with a knife (which I have done), try running from a guy with a gun.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by Maggot3000
But i know when I am of age, i will take advantage of the right we are lucky to have and own and a handgun/CC permit.

If you're lucky to have it, it's not really a right, is it?
Furman doesn't have to do anything based on constitutional rights. Its true.

Now for the argument about whether or not they should be allowed on campus is a great question. I am a person with a conceal carry permit and I do exercise my second amendment right. Note, I did not say that I would feel like a victim if I could not carry my gun on campus. My mentality is that I am exercising a right that men have died for, not that I am going to be some hero holding down a school shooting cause of my gun. McNutt is retarded and gives those of us who are not insecure and gun crazed a bad name. I say let someone with a full licence carry on a campus. Some students live on campus and I feel as though they have every right to exercise the second amendment. But if you are carrying concealed and someone else knows about it or you're broadcasting it while you're doing so...you are an idiot and should not have a permit. My two cents. Take it or leave it =D
"Gun Free Zones" means come and shoot us.

Have you ever wondered why all of the mass shootings always happen in schools and other "Gun Free Zones" its because they know that no one there is armed, and no one can fight back.

Personally, I think we should allow concealed carry on campus and in schools so when someone does decide to go nuts and start shooting, there will be someone there to shoot back and hopefully end the situation before people start getting killed.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

Seriously though, this is totally unneccessary. Why would you need a gun at school?

Lets see, Columbine, Virginia Tech, the Fort Hood shootings.....

All could have been stopped if someone had a gun and shot the bad guy before he could shoot other people instead of waiting for the Police to get there and do the same thing a half hour later....
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
Lets see, Columbine, Virginia Tech, the Fort Hood shootings.....

All could have been stopped if someone had a gun and shot the bad guy before he could shoot other people instead of waiting for the Police to get there and do the same thing a half hour later....

Fort Hood was a goddamn military base, I'm pretty sure there were plenty of guns around.
Quote by rgrockr
Fort Hood was a goddamn military base, I'm pretty sure there were plenty of guns around.

No. Guns are prohibited on base at all times. The only people allowed to carry weapons on base are MPs.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by kangaxxter

There is objective evidence that supports that a increase in firearms in an area increase the amount of crimes committed by firearms in that same area. Think about it this way, there are more firearms related deaths in Texas annually, than there are in France, Germany, Great Britain, Switzerland, Austria and Japan combined.

There are an amazing number of firearms in Switzerland, which debunks your own argument.

It's not the tool, it's the culture.

Quote by rgrockr

Ever been on one? Very few folks carry loaded weapons. Sort of like the rest of the nation.

Sure, there were plenty of firearms there, but they had to be loaded and available to be of any use...
Last edited by Arby911 at Mar 16, 2011,
Quote by stonyman65
No. Guns are prohibited on base at all times. The only people allowed to carry weapons on base are MPs.

If guns aren't easily accessible at a military base then I think we should be worried about the vulnerability of our military.
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

When you're about to get beaten and raped in the parking lot at night, then you'll know why you need a gun at a University. College Kids can get too crazy sometimes.
Quote by kangaxxter

That bullshit argument that allowing an increase in firearms will reduce crime is greater than or equal to ****ing retarded. It just increases the lethality of crimes committed.

I'd rather be held up by someone with a knife (and I have been), which is actually unarguably harder to kill someone with than a firearm. And it's much more likely to overcome someone with a knife than it is with someone with a gun. And it's possible to run away from someone with a knife (which I have done), try running from a guy with a gun.

I hate to do it but... i live in ak where theres no concealed permit or basically gerneral gun laws, we can have them and thats that. the whole thing is that i feel more cofortable in my own house knowing i'm well protected, and i know that anyone think ing about breaking in has to think "huh, this guy may have guns." if someone tries to mug you here, you could just as likely have a 9mm under your coat. that being said, i respect your argument. but if you're going to try running from someone whos mugging you you're stupid anyways
My sig? Nice.
Quote by Arby911
There are an amazing number of firearms in Switzerland, which debunks your own argument.

It's not the tool, it's the culture.

Ever been on one? Very few folks carry loaded weapons. Sort of like the rest of the nation.

Sure, there were plenty of firearms there, but they had to be loaded and available to be of any use...

Everyone has a gun in Switzerland. All males are required to go into military service and have a loaded weapon with them at all times, very similar to the Israeli Defense Force. You don't hear about and shootings over there, yet EVERYONE has a weapons ALL THE TIME.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Maggot3000
I actually had a discussion about something similar today. I do believe that people who have concealed carry permits Should be allowed to carry them on school campuses. In order to get a concealed carry permit it is an extensive process (at least in NC, i would guess its very similar in SC). You have to get a background check not just consisting of criminal history, but your mental well being is checked with hospitals throughout the state. You have to take classes on safety and such, fill out many forms and then there is a period that can take months to acquire the permit. Also the Federal law is handguns must be purchased by individuals 21 and older, so no worries about teens slinging guns around.

In the end my view is that the right for a safe civilian individual to bear arms is the 2nd amendment. If students were allowed to use concealed carry permits on campus then who knows, maybe college massacres like VT could have been stopped early on. I've lived in some rough parts of NC, and even had plenty of guns confiscated from my school in high school years. But i know when I am of age, i will take advantage of the right we are lucky to have and own and a handgun/CC permit.

Or maybe there will be more massacres.... Everyone having guns is a bad idea. Many people have thoughts, but lack the ability or opportunity to go through with them. Put a gun in the equation....

The reality is that allowing guns would ensure that there wouldn't be any enormous massacres, like VT. Instead, there would be many more massacres on a smaller scale. Instead of 30 dead, it would just be 10. But there would be more of them.
Quote by rgrockr
If guns aren't easily accessible at a military base then I think we should be worried about the vulnerability of our military.

You have no idea how true that statement is. Military bases are incredibly vulnerable to attack and security is often honored more in the breach than the observance. Blame the touchy-feely folks who want a kinder, gentler military...forgetting that the one, the only, mission of the military is to break shit and kill people.
Quote by rgrockr

That I agree with. It is a stupid idea all the way around. Just like gun free zones.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
I think someone who is making a big fuss about his concealed carry permit might not be mentally stable enough to actually deserve one.
If I'm high, does that make me a Flying Dutchman?

Legal weed, windmills, clogs, and speed cameras. Welcome to the Netherlands!
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Who cares? When some crazy nut decides to go ape shit one day, those pansies are going to thank the person who brought his own gun and shot the crazy bastard down.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by McGryphon
I think someone who is making a big fuss about his concealed carry permit might not be mentally stable enough to actually deserve one.

Because someone who strongly advocates the exercise of a right is mentally unstable?

Is that really what you meant to say?
Read through this thread and tell me if you want your fellow classmates to carry guns:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1420197
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
There are schools that allow guns?

Also, don't you have security guards in campus entrances?
Quote by Kensai
Read through this thread and tell me if you want your fellow classmates to carry guns:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1420197

Concealed handgun license holders are trained--they know the law and they know when and when not to shoot. If the CHL holder is doing his part, you wouldn't know a gun is on him or her. And yes, I fully support allowing licensed carry holders to carry their concealed handguns on a campus. I hope to be one of them very soon. Texas is poised to pass such a measure.
Quote by BurningTurkey
with a name like McNutt you HAVE to take him serious.

I love his name.

William McNutt.

Willy McNutt

Edit: also this thread is gonna turn into a whole gun debate. INB4 the lock!
Last edited by SG_dave at Mar 16, 2011,
Quote by kangaxxter

You quickly dismiss the Mexican border we have that disproportionately hikes the firearms crime. Britain is a lovely little island that doesn't share a border with a narco-state.

You also should know that Texas releases statistics of concealed permit holders and their tendency to commit a crime. Wager a guess on what it is? http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/convrates.htm It's quite low.
Quote by the spiker
Concealed handgun license holders are trained--they know the law and they know when and when not to shoot. If the CHL holder is doing his part, you wouldn't know a gun is on him or her. And yes, I fully support allowing licensed carry holders to carry their concealed handguns on a campus. I hope to be one of them very soon. Texas is poised to pass such a measure.

We both know that's no guarantee of anything.
Quote by Kensai
We both know that's no guarantee of anything.

Care to give examples of how a CHL holder committed a columbine-style shooting? The above post should demonstrate that CHL holders are the good guys should you care to look at some numbers.
Last edited by the spiker at Mar 16, 2011,
Quote by the spiker
Care to give examples of how a CHL holder committed a columbine-style shooting?

Don't be a dumbass, being a CHL holder doesn't make you into some superhuman being. You can still make mistakes or want to make a "mistake". They're still just humans and come in every shape, size and intelligence level.
I'm all for 2nd amendment rights, but letting students carry on school campuses is pretty stupid IMO. Uni = drinking and partying, both of which mix very poorly with guns. Plus there's no way having several armed students would have ended school shootings. Instead of one person in civilian clothes shooting a gun, you now have half a dozen. There's no way to tell who is the real shooter, and the students are just going to end up either shooting each other or getting shot by the police.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by barden1069
Uni = drinking and partying, both of which mix very poorly with guns.

It's illegal to drink and carry here. Not everyone drinks and parties through college. This hypothetical college student of yours would have gone through the training and would be fully aware of his obligations. If he or she is going out drinking, the gun stays home.

Quote by barden1069
Plus there's no way having several armed students would have ended school shootings.

Very true, but it increases the odds against people like Seung Cho.

Quote by Kensai
Don't be a dumbass, being a CHL holder doesn't make you into some superhuman being. You can still make mistakes or want to make a "mistake". They're still just humans and come in every shape, size and intelligence level.

But as I pointed out, CHL holders commit waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less crime than normal people. I linked some numbers and you have not; yet I'm the dumbass?
Last edited by the spiker at Mar 16, 2011,
Page 1 of 2