because of this stupid site:
http://www.8notes.com/guitar_chord_chart/Fxdim.asp

why do they add a major seventh(d#)???? this turns it into a completely different chord according to this:
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/ChordNameFinder.htm

how i was playing it was moving the fourth finger note on the first string and using my ring finger to play it on the sixth string so i would have a moveable diminished chord. i would mute the fifth and first string.

honestly, to me it sounds better than just regular dim. but that chord name finder site doesnt even list it as an f# chord when i plug in f#,a,c,d#

wut you guys think?
that's because it should be Eb not D#.

If you don't have Eb in there there is not, technically speaking, a seventh of F#
How do you get D# (Eb) to be a major 7th in a F# chord?

I also really don't understand the problem you seem to be having... first chart is a F#dim chord in it's 3rd position I think you say... move it up 3 frets and you have F# in root, keep going up 3 frets each time and you can play all the inversion in a hartbeat
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Last edited by backtothe70s at Mar 16, 2011,
That's how you play fully diminished 7th chord. You just spelled it incorrectly enharmonically.

As others have said, F# A C Eb

EDIT: What you want is a stack of minor thirds. Also, a fully diminished 7th has no acoustic root so the chord can be stacked from any note to make a different fully diminished 7th.

F# A C Eb

or

A C Eb Gb (F#)

or

C Eb Gb Bbb (A)

continuing,

Eb Gb (F#) Bbb(A) Dbb (C)

finally, you're back to the beginning enharmonically. As you can see, there are really only 4 fully diminished 7th chords.

Gb (F#) Bbb (A) Dbb (C) Fbb (Eb)
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Mar 16, 2011,
Quote by Artemis Entreri
That's how you play fully diminished 7th chord. You just spelled it incorrectly enharmonically.

As others have said, F# A C Eb

EDIT: What you want is a stack of minor thirds. Also, a fully diminished 7th has no acoustic root so the chord can be stacked from any note to make a different fully diminished 7th.

F# A C Eb

or

A C Eb Gb (F#)

or

C Eb Gb Bbb (A)

continuing,

Eb Gb (F#) Bbb(A) Dbb (C)

finally, you're back to the beginning enharmonically. As you can see, there are really only 4 fully diminished 7th chords.

Gb (F#) Bbb (A) Dbb (C) Fbb (Eb)

ooookkkkaaayyy. makes more sense now. i always screw something up like that when dealing with theory.

so i am playing a 1-b3-b5-bb7

so then what are these called:
1-b3-b5 or 1-b3-b5-b7
Quote by backtothe70s
How do you get D# (Eb) to be a major 7th in a F# chord?

I also really don't understand the problem you seem to be having... first chart is a F#dim chord in it's 3rd position I think you say... move it up 3 frets and you have F# in root, keep going up 3 frets each time and you can play all the inversion in a hartbeat

no no no.

what i was saying was how i was positioning the chord on the guitar.

they have it as:
first finger - fourth string - first fret
third finger - third string - second fret
second finger - second - string first fret
fourth finger - first string - second fret

I have it as:
third finger - 6th string - second fret
first finger - fourth string - first fret
fourth finger - third string - second fret
second finger - 2nd string - first fret
mute 5 and 1

I would use it like a moveable bar chord.
There are different ways of playing dim7 chords.

The one you have been using, is a diminished 7th - That is an F# diminished 7th chord - it has everything including a bb7 (Eb) (its also a D# dimininshed...etc..as is is a good example of symmetrical chords)

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Mar 18, 2011,
Quote by Sean0913

The one you have been using, is a diminished 7th - That is an F# diminished 7th chord - it has everything including a bb7 (Ebb) (its also a D# dimininshed...etc..as is is a good example of symmetrical chords)

Best,

Sean

does "fully diminished" = "dim7"???
Quote by Sean0913

The one you have been using, is a diminished 7th - That is an F# diminished 7th chord - it has everything including a bb7 (Ebb) (its also a D# dimininshed...etc..as is is a good example of symmetrical chords)

Best,

Sean

I know you know your stuff, but I'll just correct the typo...

F#dim7 = F# A C Eb