I'm aware that metalcore isn't allowed in the metal forums, but there's where the debate comes in. Is Trivium really a metalcore band? I mean, listening to Ascendancy, there's no way you can really say that's NOT a metalcore album. But in their other works, The Crusade, Shogun, even Shattering The Skies Above, and Ember to Inferno, how Metalcore are they really? I thought The Crusade and Shogun were pure ****ing metal albums, not that stupid mallcore shit like Escape The Fate.!

so UG. Tell me, what are your opinions?
Metalcore.

Not an opinion, it's a fact.

I will concede they love to integrate a bunch of cheesy 80's riffs and Metallica into their songs, but at the heart of it all, it's Metalcore.
Ascendancy is more metalcore, but I'd say all albums past that aren't so much. I like some metalcore and metal so I'm not really biased. Just my opinion.
Schecter C-1 XXX (with SD Dave Mustaine Livewire Actives)
Roland Cube 60
Last edited by dhoyft at Mar 16, 2011,
I see not many people have actually listened to anything past Ascendancy and the first single from The Crusade.
Who cares what it is really, Trivium is enjoyable to listen to. Don't be like the stupid people and get caught up on labels.
Just a man and his strings..

Quote by sloppyjoe24
Girls like to take team dumps. Simple as that.

He wants to know if it's metalcore so that he can argue it's place in the metal forum.

I'd say metalcore. I love all of their albums, but lyrical topics combined with certain aspects (particularly solos) just push them too far into metalcore.
Modern "traditional" metal = metalcore.
Modern metal = REALLY heavy, ****ing ear-blistering things.
Quote by Lots O' FX
There's a guy named, I shit you not, Hunter Goldhammer. I have never met him, I only heard his name over the PA, but I assume he's a dwarf paladin.

Quote by skwelcher
I'm like the real life version of the socially awkward penguin.
Quote by hippogasmo
He wants to know if it's metalcore so that he can argue it's place in the metal forum.

I'd say metalcore. I love all of their albums, but lyrical topics combined with certain aspects (particularly solos) just push them too far into metalcore.
Modern "traditional" metal = metalcore.
Modern metal = REALLY heavy, ****ing ear-blistering things.

That's all fine and dandy except lyrics have no bearing on what genre a band is, and solos aren't very important either. What it comes down to is their structures follow rock/pop verse chorus type dealios, they use pedal riffs extensively (which they do on The Crusade and Shogun as well as their early albums), choruses are sung with incredibly generic hooks (Trivium at least do something right here and can write vocal harmonies that go further than two guys singing a 5th apart), and shitty breakdowns.

Seeing as Trivium does all this consistently through their career, they're definitely metalcore.
please do not feed the animals
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
trivium aren't the slightest bit metalcore, i really don't know what you guys are on about. metalcore is stuff like bullet for my valentine. they use a very specific song structure which is basically metal style riffs and lots of screamo type vocals in the verse with hardcore breakdowns and clean vocals in the chorus generally using a staright 8th note rock feel. bands like the aforementioned bfmv, atreyu, 36crazyfists, etc base their songs on this structure and so are metalcore. trivium do not. granted, ascendancy uses a mix of distorted and clean vocals similar to metalcore but they dont have any of those hardcore/punky chorus bits that all those metalcore bands i mentioned use. trivium are just straight up metal, through and through. most thrash heads seem to hate on them though which i find strange considering practically all their songs sound like iron maiden or metallica yet people insist on coming up with this crap that they are a metalcore band and hating them because of it. not that theres anything wrong with metalcore, i honestly quite enjoy a lot of it. and for the record please dont tell me i obviously havent listened to them because i own all of their albums and have seen them live twice now and in general love their music.

ps, sorry if im crapping on, i just hate it when people go on about genres of music without giving a musically valid definition of the genre. a lot of genres are just labels but there are also a lot of clear differences and similiarities between bands that put them into genres
Ascendancy was metalcore, The Crusade was thrash metal and Shogun was a mix between thrash and metalcore. Thats just my opinion, others views may be different so don't just listen to me.
Quote by ippystratman
trivium aren't the slightest bit metalcore, i really don't know what you guys are on about. metalcore is stuff like bullet for my valentine. they use a very specific song structure which is basically metal style riffs and lots of screamo type vocals in the verse with hardcore breakdowns and clean vocals in the chorus generally using a staright 8th note rock feel. bands like the aforementioned bfmv, atreyu, 36crazyfists, etc base their songs on this structure and so are metalcore. trivium do not. granted, ascendancy uses a mix of distorted and clean vocals similar to metalcore but they dont have any of those hardcore/punky chorus bits that all those metalcore bands i mentioned use. trivium are just straight up metal, through and through. most thrash heads seem to hate on them though which i find strange considering practically all their songs sound like iron maiden or metallica yet people insist on coming up with this crap that they are a metalcore band and hating them because of it. not that theres anything wrong with metalcore, i honestly quite enjoy a lot of it. and for the record please dont tell me i obviously havent listened to them because i own all of their albums and have seen them live twice now and in general love their music.

ps, sorry if im crapping on, i just hate it when people go on about genres of music without giving a musically valid definition of the genre. a lot of genres are just labels but there are also a lot of clear differences and similiarities between bands that put them into genres

Your 100% right
Metalcore is'nt quite that generic that it can fit into the description he just layed out, their are allot more aspects to it then that that makes a band metalcore. One defineing aspect of "core" music is that it always borrows from older trends in Metal an dresses it up shininier and try's to pass it off as something original, but what ever form it takes, that lake of creative insight and general metalcore vibe stays. which is sad because this shit should'nt even exsist, stuff like Converge and Botch is the sound the whole genre should of adopted.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

i would say that the only album where they could be considered metal and not metalcore would be Shogun. other than that it's shitty metalcore.
Quote by Vermintide

Quote by we_built_a_tree
Oh look at me, I'm WBAT, these days I only smoke pipes and read Dostoyevsky.

You are a false
Quote by ippystratman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqI-6xag8Mg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0dD59FYxJ4

All melodic metalcore is pretty much the same

And for the record this is real metalcore.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Metalcore.

Regardless of what they are, the ****ing suck, though.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"