Hey guys! If i want to be able to write things like joe satrianis "summer song" "always with me, always without you" and "premonition", how would I learn to be that great in writing music? always when im writing right now i cant come up with something great at all.. Is it just practice writing songs and eventually they will get better?

Thanks!
Learn your music theory and practice.
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
Study great melodies in the context of how they are written and what chords are used, rhythmic motifs, call and response, variations on a theme, and other songwriting devices. It may be a hunt and peck type of thing.

From time to time I host informal analytical lectures in which we dig into music and break things apart and reverse engineer their elements and see why it held together as a whole. The biggest dividends: appreciation, and insight.

The most common result...it usually shows to be a series of quite simple ideas, chained together in just the right way. That's good news for a lot of our students. Some day I may host an open webcast doing this, but my life will have to become a lot less busy ha ha!

Most recently our song was "Jessica" by the Allman Brothers....

Sean
Learn lots of theory
but songwriting will get better as you create more songs.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Quote by Sean0913
Study great melodies in the context of how they are written and what chords are used, rhythmic motifs, call and response, variations on a theme, and other songwriting devices. It may be a hunt and peck type of thing.

From time to time I host informal analytical lectures in which we dig into music and break things apart and reverse engineer their elements and see why it held together as a whole. The biggest dividends: appreciation, and insight.

The most common result...it usually shows to be a series of quite simple ideas, chained together in just the right way. That's good news for a lot of our students. Some day I may host an open webcast doing this, but my life will have to become a lot less busy ha ha!

Most recently our song was "Jessica" by the Allman Brothers....

Sean

GREAT song.
Last edited by pbskl at Mar 16, 2011,
Quote by Pettah
Hey guys! If i want to be able to write things like joe satrianis "summer song" "always with me, always without you" and "premonition", how would I learn to be that great in writing music? always when im writing right now i cant come up with something great at all.. Is it just practice writing songs and eventually they will get better?

Thanks!

Learn the music 1st...

create music later
shred is gaudy music
find a great melody and structure your song around it, find the chords that fit in behind the melody - or play over a nice chord progression and make a melody that way, then take it from there. i feel that when i have something that i can build upon, like some chords, a melody or a riff, i sometimes get inspired to write the rest of the instrumental.
Quote by Pettah
Excuse me but do you know how long ive played or how good I am?

I know what kind of question you posted.

Quote by Pettah

no, so stop writing stupid posts. maybe im ready for creating music?

Lets not get into calling peoples posts "Stupid", because that can easily go both ways.

Regarding my advice....

I give the best advice I can, based on the question. I could give been dishonest and said, look into studying (insert fancy word here). I know that it's probably what you're looking for. The thing is though, if you want to take apart a particular type of music too see how it works, being able to play it is highly beneficial. So my advice, like it or not, is to start there. Learn music 1st..... get creative later. Thats not a personal attack, it's genuine advice.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 17, 2011,
Quote by GuitarMunky
I know what kinds of questions you post

Tell me one question that not make you look bad at the area you ask about? You ask because your not good in a special area, what would be the point to ask about something you already know?

And well yeah, guess your right i should learn songs by satriani before trying to write stuff like it thanks for the advice!

(sorry for acting like a douche, im sick and tired hehe, but it just seemed in your comment that you just tried to make me look like an idiot )
Quote by Pettah
Tell me one question that not make you look bad at the area you ask about? You ask because your not good in a special area, what would be the point to ask about something you already know?

And well yeah, guess your right i should learn songs by satriani before trying to write stuff like it thanks for the advice!

(sorry for acting like a douche, im sick and tired hehe, but it just seemed in your comment that you just tried to make me look like an idiot )

I do tend to point out the obvious, not to make people look like idiots, but because it's usually the advice missing from the thread. I wouldn't bring it up if I didn't think it was important.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 17, 2011,