This isn't a topic about classic books, it's just. What are your thoughts on keeping a library of old books? Not textbooks. As in actual books, paper, ink, things that tend to define civilization. or at least parts of it.

Cause I know how easy it is to get ebooks these days, but the joy of being able to flick through pages and read on paper instead of a screen is just something that's becoming more and more lost these days. Like the art of letterwriting. >__>

Thoughts?
SATCH FTW!!!
NSW Group FTW!

There's nothing incredibly interesting here.
I love old books. My Grandad is leaving me his 'library' when he dies.

Although to be honest, I'm pretty sure i have most of it in my room already.
In the days of darkness men feared not the sword and the lance
Nor did he fear the beast of fire... He feared...
THE AXEMAN!!

The Earth is covered in ash and our lungs have filled with worms...
I love old books. I sometimes peruse ebay and amazon for first editions, they are just so much nicer.

It's cool to think you are reading words that were written down and preserved over a time so much longer than your entire life. There's something from them you just don't get from ebooks or cheaply printed new editions.
Why does everyone like the smell of old books? They smell horrible and dusty. And once you actually get into what you're reading, what you're reading it on won't matter.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Mar 16, 2011,
Ebooks are lame. Reading on a screen just feels unnatural. I have plenty of old books lying around. I have the complete Sherlock Holmes collection in one book which I'm just getting through now.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
If it's a textbook then that's fine for me to read on a screen. But anything else just has to be on paper for me. Screens feel weird. -__-
SATCH FTW!!!
NSW Group FTW!

There's nothing incredibly interesting here.
I love the smell of old book in the morning - smells like culture.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
old books smell amazing and have so much character to them.i hate reading stuff on the computer
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
i do bookbinding and love nicely made books. leather and silk with marbled endpapers and the slight embossing of letters. also its amazing to think that you can write the stuff down and bind it well and it will outlive you.
one day i will have a beautiful library.
i find it impossible to read long texts off a screen, but its pretty likely thats where we are heading.

it would be pretty cool just to be able to download books into your brain and know everything. or failing that have a hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.
now extra flamey
Last edited by Ikey at Mar 16, 2011,
Quote by Ikey
i do bookbinding and love nicely made books. leather and silk with marbled endpapers and the slight embossing of letters. also its amazing to think that you can write the stuff down and bind it well and it will outlive you.
one day i will have a beautiful library.
i find it impossible to read long texts off a screen, but its pretty likely thats where we are heading.

Have any pictures of said books?

I don't like reading long texts off of a screen, but I browse this forum anyways.

But there are still some things I can stand to read as long as I'm interested.
Quote by severed-metal
Have any pictures of said books?

im down at uni at the moment so i dont have my books with me. but when i next go home ill get some and start a bookbinding thread

for those interested in bookbinding->
this place is expensive so find other places to buy from but they have really nice materials stocked http://store.falkiners.com/store/

check out this marbling http://store.falkiners.com/store/product/6337/MarbledSmith6---Oak-Leaf/
now extra flamey
My uncle's father-in-law showed us his badass library consisting of many 1st editions and even a 19th century publishing of P&P during his daughter's wedding.
Shame I won't inherit it, it's probably worth a fortune.
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay
I just finished reading Kidnapped. My dad has a bunch of early 1900s editions of Robert Lewis Stevenson.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.