Hey UG, I recently bought a Boss BR-800 multitrack recorder, and I think the rhythm patterns it has sound kinda... well, shitty.

I plan on using the BR-800 primarily as an interface, and recording in reaper most of the time. I have a drum machine that I want to use for laying down simple beats as a sort of backing track for some original stuff I'm working on.

My question is this...

Can reaper control my drum machine through MIDI? Like, can I program a drum pattern in reaper with midi notes, etc, and have reaper basically make the drum machine play it? Or can I only send MIDI messages to basically start / stop the pattern or song that's already loaded?

I'm a MIDI noob, so I'm not sure what it's capable of doing.

Or I guess another question would be, is there maybe a reaper plugin for drum patterns? I really hate trying to program patterns on the drum machine. I find a visual editor to be much easier.

EDIT: The drum machine is an old (late 90's I think) Zoom RhythmTrack 234
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Mar 16, 2011,
This may not be exactly what you are looking for, but I used to have a BR 600 and there was a drum editor program that I was able to download directly from Boss for creating my own beats. Since the BR 800 is the fancy new version of the 600 there should be a similar (or the same) program that you could use with it.

At the very least you could do your drum tracks in the BR 800, mix it down to a wave and them drop it into Reaper.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, can't you just use a drum VST like EZDrummer with Reaper?
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
well the BR-800 does have an editor, but it's fairly limited in what you can do (as in how complex a drum beat can be), and I think the onboard drum sounds are kinda hokey. Not terrible, but not really all the great either.

I mean, I guess I'm not really trying to go too crazy with the drums, so using the BR's onboard would work... I was just looking for something a little better. I think the BR limits you to only a few different drum patterns that it can store per song.

Is there a plugin for reaper that does drums? I literally just downloaded the program last night, so I have all of an hour using it

EDIT: I just caught the bit about EZDrummer, I'll have to look into it.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Mar 17, 2011,