So i have just bought an Orange rocker 30 head. (Cab on the way soon as i get paid).

I have a gig tomorrow which the venue is providing the cab for. So what should i think about when i plug my head into it? As far as ... leaving on standby for a minute, 16 ohm to 16 ohm etc etc.
Match impedance. Single most important thing I can think of right now.

Standby is an overblown feature. While I will say that it's a really good habit to leave it on for 30+ seconds, it's not vital, and it wont hurt your amp if you don't. It will just kill your tubes faster.

Other than that... be aware that you'll have to adjust your EQ for different places. It's really hand to have at least 1 EQ pedal in your chain.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Don't turn the head on without a cab connected to it.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
As long as

1. The impedance matches
2. You use a speaker cable instead of an instrument cable
3. The speakers can handle the wattage (which unless you get supplyed with a 15 watt 1x8 cab i'm pretty sure you'll have no problems with a rocker 30)
4. You leave it to warm up a few seconds before flicking on the standby switch

you'll be fine

They've pretty much covered it man! The only other thing I'd note is that if you have been jamming on it for a while and are taking it somewhere and it's very cold outside, let the tubes cool down before subjecting them to the intense cold. Going from very hot --> very cold, very quickly is a bad time....

Also be advised that you'll have to change the power tubes roughly once a year and preamp tubes every two years or so to keep it sounding its best
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
Quote by chuckmehh

Also be advised that you'll have to change the power tubes roughly once a year and preamp tubes every two years or so to keep it sounding its best

This really depends on the tubes, they are extremely random things. Some tube sets last a decade or more, and still kick it like they were put in yesterday. I'd say just use your ears, if your tone starts degrading, then it's time to replace. There is no way to make a set timeschedule for it though.

Though if you have the money to throw around to do it, by all means do it yearly. It can be fun messing around with different tubes (provided your amp will allow that).

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
cool.

So just to make sure ...

impedence is the ohm of the head and cab right?
16 --> 16
and i have a speaker cable
wait, so if it dosent hurt for the tubes to not warm up, is it ok to turn the amp off before turning the stand-by off? (I know its stupid question but sometimes Im idiot and turn it off before the standby is off and was wondering if that would hurt my amp or make it explode lol)
Impedance = ohm yes

It is a good practice to let the tubes warm up and cool down. While it wont make your amp self destruct or anything, its better for the tubes and not doing so will probably reduce the life of your tubes.
It is bad for your tubes if you don't let them warm up. It will kill them a lot faster i you don't. It won't harm your actual amp is what I meant earlier.

As for turning it off, standby doesn't matter. People tend to do it out of habit, but you won't hurt your tubes by turning off your amp and not letting them cool down in standby.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
One that springs to mind is to be wary of where youplace it on the stage. I was playing a bar in the UK a few years back and the stage was so flimsy/old/rotten that my foot went through as I moved to the amp to wring some feedback out.
Luckily the stage wasn't too high; as the amp started toppling forward I already had a foot on the actual floor below and had to use my hip to stop the lot from falling face down.

Our drummer made a joke about suing them. They thought he was serious and the manager plied us with beer. Lots of free beer.
Which was great! I hadn't hurt myself - no damage done at all and I didn't object to the booze as I wasn't driving.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by Slap-happy
One that springs to mind is to be wary of where youplace it on the stage. I was playing a bar in the UK a few years back and the stage was so flimsy/old/rotten that my foot went through as I moved to the amp to wring some feedback out.
Luckily the stage wasn't too high; as the amp started toppling forward I already had a foot on the actual floor below and had to use my hip to stop the lot from falling face down.

Our drummer made a joke about suing them. They thought he was serious and the manager plied us with beer. Lots of free beer.
Which was great! I hadn't hurt myself - no damage done at all and I didn't object to the booze as I wasn't driving.

This just made it worth reading.
haha! So now i kinda hope i go through the stage tonight so i can get some free beer :p
Well it's already all been said.

Hope the show goes good man .

Slap-happy is right. I can't tell you how many times I've tripped over cords and crap onstage because I wasn't paying attention.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--