Hi all I’m still enjoying my first tube amp, an AC4 head and cab but I’m now thinking of something with a bit more headroom and growl. I’ve been listening to the Orange TT and the DT and they sound fantastic. GAK are doing a deal on both these amps with a 212 cab. I mainly play classic rock with a strat and a Epi LP and it’s to be used at home, I live in a detached place so I can crank it up a bit but I don’t want to remove the plaster from the walls. Now my questions are would the 30w DT and a 212 be to much to use in a living room, I know it can be used at 15 and 7 watt but it would be a waste If I never use it at 30 watt. Same question for the TT and a 212 would it be to much to use at home? Or would a TT and a 1x12 cab be more than enough to use at home? Sorry for the long post,thanks,,,Paul.
1. more speakers isn't really more volume, just more clarity ( IIRC )
2. you don't "need" to use it on 30 W
3. amps have volume buttons

just test them out and see which you like the most
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
1. more speakers isn't really more volume, just more clarity ( IIRC )
2. you don't "need" to use it on 30 W
3. amps have volume buttons

just test them out and see which you like the most

yes to 2 and 3.

2x12 will be more perceived volume as the extra speaker will be displacing more air. that is why if you play a 1x12 loud and 2x12 loud the db will be nearly identical but perceived loudness will be different/fuller, etc.

those are mighty fine amps though, you need to make the decision on which one suits you. i wouldnt ever go over 30watts but thats just me!
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
what about a valvepower 18 watt clone?

Has VVR so you can turn it down.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you are right

@ts, maybe it's better if you use enters and alinea's ( we can read those better )

i would go over 30 Watts, but that's just using the volume button

I prefer 212's over 112's cuz it's fuller ( i recordnize it as more clarity for my ears )
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Thanks for the info on the cabs and i did listen to a valvepower 18 watt clone on you tube but i like the sound of the TT/DT.
Ok guys I’m going to go with the 212 cab but I won’t be able to get to a shop that has these amps to test. When I was after my first amp I wanted a Marshall and you guys talked me into getting a Vox and you got it spot on it’s a great amp so I have great faith in you. I think I will be very happy with the TT or the DT, if you guys think I will be able to really use the 30 watt DT at home then I will go with that, so what one should I get? Thanks again,,,Paul.
Quote by paul w1
Thanks for the info on the cabs and i did listen to a valvepower 18 watt clone on you tube but i like the sound of the TT/DT.

ah ok, yeah they'll sound a fair bit different- the valvepower is a vintage marshall type of tone, while the orange is a more modern orange type of tone. If you prefer that orange type of tone, then orange would be the way to go (certainly over the VP).

Have you looked at any matamps? They might be over budget, but they might be worth a look... might be in a similar ballpark, tonewise, to the oranges. I know the two companies used to be pretty closely connected...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for that Dave the Matamp did sound nice but trying to find out the prices was a bit of a joke. I’m going to go with the Orange, now the question is 15 or 30 watt?
i've only tried the 15, i can't help you there
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by AxSilentxLine
An Orange Dual Terror with a nice 2x12 would be an awesome setup

i agree and i may well end up with this setup but i just cant make my mind up if this is going to be way OTT.
Quote by BurstBucker Pro
If that's an honest 15watts RMS, I bet that would be plenty for you...

I think you are probably right, lets see if anyone else chimes in.