So i've had a tele for about a year or so now, and just put a humbucker in the bridge, and removed the neck p/up today. it's just got a volume knob, no tone knob. but it sounds VERY harsh, and bright. any way to make it sound less sharp? i don't really wanna add a tone knob. or EQ my amp differently.

Any suggestions ?
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

you can add a capacitor to the volume knob maybe. check to see if you have it wired correctly.
lowering your pickup height changes the tone/sound, though it may not be the change in sound youre looking for (but you can always change it back of course). thats all i can really think of atm.
if i may ask, why dont you want to eq your amp differently? i can understand not wanting to add a tone knob, but your amp already has those controls, and thats what they are there for, to change the sound of the guitar to your liking.
And there's if you don't want to change your settings on anything, there's no other option. So, either deal with it, or change your amp or put in a tone knob.

It might be better having "full signal" going into the amp, and you cut if from there. If you like this set up, and it is pretty popular, so there's got to be some sense in it, then just cut it from the amp.
Quote by Grassyknolls
you can add a capacitor to the volume knob maybe. check to see if you have it wired correctly.

how would i wire it ?

The tone knob is literally for this exact purpose. lawls. :P

Yup, But i said i didn't want one. lawls.

why dont you want to eq your amp differently?

I use 3 different guitars live, and i'm happy with how the other 2 sound.
I don't really wanna be messing with my amp EQ onstage aha
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

Why don't you want a tone knob? I'm genuinely curious, not being an ass

Are you using a 250k volume pot? That will be your warmest sounding for a humbucker.

Quote by Some other website
1Meg = very bright sounding
500K = bright sounding
250K = warm, vintage sounding

1Meg = bright HB...shrill SC
500K = warm HB...bright SC
250K = muddy HB, warm SC

HB = humbucker
SC = single coil

...the HIGHER the pot resistance value, the LESS high-frequencies are attenuated.
...the LOWER the pot resistance value, the MORE high-frequencies are attenuated.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by Rossmillertarn!
I use 3 different guitars live, and i'm happy with how the other 2 sound.
I don't really wanna be messing with my amp EQ onstage aha
fair enough. well try lowering your pickup height. as for wiring a cap to the volume pot, i'd assume you'd just wire it between the output and ground, but if you head over to the wiring thread they should be able to tell you for sure

edit:
Quote by barden1069
That will be your warmest sounding for a humbucker.
it might also sound muddy though. the main reason people use 500k for humbuckers is because it cleans up the sound a little
Last edited by Doonan at Mar 16, 2011,
I just like the simplicity of how just a volume pot looks really. nothing too deep behind the reason haha. i have no idea tbh, it's just the one it came with, but i'll check !
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

Or you could use the switch that used to be for selecting pups to wire a couple capacitors in, so you could have one position be just the regular humbucker, the next a bit darker, and the last a bit darker. I think Fender did something like that on the old Esquire models.

EDIT:
Quote by Doonan
it might also sound muddy though. the main reason people use 500k for humbuckers is because it cleans up the sound a little

I'm just throwing it out there. If the humbucker is really bright and it already has a 500k pot in it, then I would think switching to a 250k would at least be worth a shot
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Last edited by barden1069 at Mar 16, 2011,
what kind of pickup. seymour duncans site has a lot of wiring diagrams. since you have one pickup, you don't need a switch, so the black would go directly to the volume opposite of the terminal grounded to the pot. have you tried a different resistance value pot? you might just want to not turn the guitar up too loud. if you have a 500k switch to a 250, or one of those dimarzio 1M ohm pots. another option is a coil tap. you have to experiment with this one. you have a lot of options. as for the cap, there's no real way to do it w/o a tone knob. you're asking to change the tone of the guitar the hardest way possible LOL.
I just checked. It's a 250k pot. I'll have a play with a few different caps to ground. and lower my pups. Thanks !
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

One reason why Teles sound so bright is because of the bridge/tailpiece. If you had a different type like, say, A Tune O Matic bridge and tailpiece, It wouldn't be as bright. I doubt you'll modify your guitar to that wild extent but I'm just saying.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Quote by Way Cool JR.
then why don't you get a concentric pot. That way you have the volume and tone in one knob space for you can keep your clean simple look. This way you will be happy tonally and aesthetically.
(Invalid img)

That's actually an awesome idea! never thought of that !

Quote by inkandlead
Are you sure you didn't wire it up with the coil tap accidentally?

Hey man, there was a lead coming from the P/UP with a dual core, so i sent the outer one to ground and the center one to the volume knob. That's right isn't it ?

There was only 2 wires
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

Quote by Rossmillertarn!

Hey man, there was a lead coming from the P/UP with a dual core, so i sent the outer one to ground and the center one to the volume knob. That's right isn't it ?

There was only 2 wires

Yeah, that would be right. So my next set of questions is 1)What kind of pickup is it? 2)Did you buy it new?
I dunno the model, but it came from a PRS guitar and nah, i bought it from some guy on here actually haha
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

Hmmm. Well you could try tapping both coils with a screw driver when the guitar is plugged in to see if they are both working. If it's uncovered it will obviously be easy to see both coils. If it's covered you'd have to approximate and actually, you may have to hope that the cover doesn't wind up bridging the two. (make sense?).
Short of that, it may be a bright pickup OR you may have it wired up wrong. Check everything again. You may accidentally have a connection that is acting as a high pass filter.
The concentric pot is probably your best bet but if you want it to sound much different you might have to invest in another pickup.
Guitars
Fender MIM Strat (Modded)
Tokai Love Rock
Squier Strat (Modded)

Effects
Boss DS-1, DD-7, RC-20XL
EHX Big Muff, Electric Mistress
Digitech Whammy

Amps
Vox VT50
Orange Rockerverb 50
you could build a small pedal that is just a tone pot in a box. would keep the controls out of your guitar and you could keep your amp settings the same. all it would do is add another pedal to your board. it would be super simple to do as well.
no sir away a papaya war is on
i don't have any knowledge of PRS pickups but i'm guessing they work a certian way. you're prob getting that tone because of the pickup. you never said if it was a bridge pickup or a neck pickup you were using. i'd say, switch to a SD or dimarzio. the trembucker from seymour duncan is a great pick up. i'd try that. your options are limitied since you're against truely modding it. i'd say get the pot the rest of the people recomended... tougher to wire up but what you want is pretty tough. punch up the mids, roll down your highs. without switching pups you have no other choice.