I don't really know much about pickups, but i need the best pickups i can get with my budget.
I have 450$ and i need both bridge and neck pickups, i don't really know how really good pickups sound like since i always used standard pickups with my guitars, the epiphone sg G-400 i have , has standard epiphone pickups with alnico magnets
And would it make a lot of difference if i changed them?I don't have a guitar shop in my city which has some good guitars like Gibson so i can't really imagine if those pickups would make my sound much better so i need to know if it would.

Thanks
What amp do you have, what tones are you trying to get (band/album/song?), and where are you located?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
im from Lithuania, i can buy pickups from some online stores from my country
Well i style is rock , hard rock , i don't like metal ,Band , Bon jovi , the sound i want to get is not supposed to be exactly as their as i would need to spend tons of money.I have a distortion Boss - DS2 and Boss - SD1 pedal , a shitty amp Marshall MG30DFX which i'm planning to replace soon to something better.
Last edited by zilvis89 at Mar 16, 2011,
I strongly suggest that you not worry about pickups until you have an amp that you really like. I've been down that road unfortunately, and wasted a lot of money for no reason. The very foundation, and strongest part of your tone is your amp. You need to have that foundation first, before you start trying to build a house (pickups, pedals). Without a strong foundation, everything you put on top of it will fail.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
swapping pickups will do next to nothing through that amp, save your money and upgrade your amp first.
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Quote by Offworld92
I strongly suggest that you not worry about pickups until you have an amp that you really like. I've been down that road unfortunately, and wasted a lot of money for no reason. The very foundation, and strongest part of your tone is your amp. You need to have that foundation first, before you start trying to build a house (pickups, pedals). Without a strong foundation, everything you put on top of it will fail.

Thanks. As i play for myself and don't participate in any shows , i also have Guitar Rig 4 ,may be a stupid question , but would that make a difference since i mostly play with guitar through Guitar Rig 4.?
Also, if you want to know how pickups are going to change your tone, there is a "Which Pickups?" guide in the Guitar Building & Customizing section of the forum. Read up on pickups, and how they work. Then you can make your own decisions on tone, because everyone here is going to have a different solution.
Quote by zilvis89
Thanks. As i play for myself and don't participate in any shows , i also have Guitar Rig 4 ,may be a stupid question , but would that make a difference since i mostly play with guitar through Guitar Rig 4.?

Yes, actually. At least it would in my opinion. Some folks here say pickups don't make any difference unless you're playing through a tube amp, but I don't buy that.

You just need a decent amp, and Guitar Rig technically fits the bill.

What's your budget? I'm not sure how much pickups cost in Lithuania, but I'll try to help.

EDIT: Okay, $450. Is that $450 US? Because unless tariffs are crazy over there, that means you could get pretty much anything you want.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Mar 16, 2011,
Quote by Holy Katana
Yes, actually. At least it would in my opinion. Some folks here say pickups don't make any difference unless you're playing through a tube amp, but I don't buy that.

You just need a decent amp, and Guitar Rig technically fits the bill.

What's your budget? I'm not sure how much pickups cost in Lithuania, but I'll try to help.

as far as i know pickups cost somewhere close to privces in the USA. My budget would be 450$ well, up to 500$.
Quote by zilvis89
as far as i know pickups cost somewhere close to privces in the USA. My budget would be 450$ well, up to 500$.

What styles do you play? What sort of sound are you looking for?
Quote by Holy Katana
What styles do you play? What sort of sound are you looking for?

Well i style is rock , hard rock , i don't like metal ,Band , Bon jovi , the sound i want to get is not supposed to be exactly as theirs
Quote by zilvis89
Well i style is rock , hard rock , i don't like metal ,Band , Bon jovi , the sound i want to get is not supposed to be exactly as theirs

Okay, so you're probably going to want a medium-output set.

From DiMarzio, you'd probably do well with an Air Zone, Air Norton, or Norton in the bridge, or possibly a PAF Pro, and an Air Classic Bridge or a PAF 36th Anniversary Neck in the neck.

From Seymour Duncan, you'd probably want a Custom or a JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck.

You could also get Bareknuckles if you want something hand-wound.
Quote by Holy Katana

From DiMarzio, you'd probably do well with an Air Zone, Air Norton, or Norton in the bridge, or possibly a PAF Pro, and an Air Classic Bridge or a PAF 36th Anniversary Neck in the neck.

From Seymour Duncan, you'd probably want a Custom or a JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck.

Thanks , you really helped
Quote by Holy Katana

Oh and sorry for the double post , what do you think about these:

SH-14 Alnico V Bar Custom 5 For the Bridge

and

SH-4 Alnico V Bar JB Model for the Neck ?
Quote by zilvis89
Oh and sorry for the double post , what do you think about these:

SH-14 Alnico V Bar Custom 5 For the Bridge

and

SH-4 Alnico V Bar JB Model for the Neck ?

For your Bridge, I wouldn't recommend the custom 5 simply because it's cleans aren't very good, but you might look at the JB, Full Shred, Duncan Custom, and Custom Custom, which are the: SH-4, SH-10, SH-5, and SH-11 respectively. They would all make excellent choices for bridge pickups that have nice ouptut AND good cleans.

You DO NOT want a JB for your neck pickup. For that I would recommend wither an AlNiCo II Pro (APH-1), '59 Model (SH-1), or Pearly Gates (SH-PG1). You want a lower-output pickup in the Neck position so that you can rely on it for excellent cleans and smoother tones.

Just follow this link:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/audio-samples/humbuckers_and/

and listen to all of them, one right after the other, and decide which one you like the most. make sure to read the descriptions of each one to make sure it would fit your playing style and the build of your guitar too.

For your bridge pickup, the Duncan Custom and the Custom 5 are both pretty heavy, your best bet in my opinion would be the JB, Custom Custom, or Full Shred, my top recommendation being the Custom Custom.

For the Neck, the '59 is a bit more clear and bright, where the AlNiCo II Pro has more bass response and sounds a bit more full. The Pearly Gates is somewhere in the middle of the two. With them Overdriven, it's pretty much the same story. the AlNiCo II Pro is warmer with more bass, the '59 is brighter and more clear, and the Pearly Gates is somewhere in the middle.

Personally, I have the Pearly Gates in the Bridge of my Les Paul and the AlNiCo II Pro in the Neck. You could look at this combo as well. The Pearly Gates is a little higher output than most "vintage" humbuckers, but it's not in the range of High Output. It's really bright and clear, and the AlNiCo II Pro is nice and warm and bassy. There really isn't anything I can't do with this combo, but it's not for everyone. Just listen to those sound clips about 500 times each and eventually your ears will start to prefer one over the others.

When it comes to pickups vs amps, you really should upgrade your amp first. There is still a noticeable difference in tone and quality when you upgrade your pickups first, but upgrading your amp has a much larger effect on your sound. I was in your exact position...i had an MG30DFX and a stock Epiphone Les Paul Standard and decided to upgrade my pickups first and regretted it. With $500, you could get a nice tube amp that will improve your tone by leaps and bounds compared to upgrading your pickups.
Quote by Blktiger0
For your Bridge, I wouldn't recommend the custom 5 simply because it's cleans aren't very good, but you might look at the JB, Full Shred, Duncan Custom, and Custom Custom, which are the: SH-4, SH-10, SH-5, and SH-11 respectively. They would all make excellent choices for bridge pickups that have nice ouptut AND good cleans.

You DO NOT want a JB for your neck pickup. For that I would recommend wither an AlNiCo II Pro (APH-1), '59 Model (SH-1), or Pearly Gates (SH-PG1). You want a lower-output pickup in the Neck position so that you can rely on it for excellent cleans and smoother tones.

Just follow this link:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/audio-samples/humbuckers_and/

and listen to all of them, one right after the other, and decide which one you like the most. make sure to read the descriptions of each one to make sure it would fit your playing style and the build of your guitar too.

For your bridge pickup, the Duncan Custom and the Custom 5 are both pretty heavy, your best bet in my opinion would be the JB, Custom Custom, or Full Shred, my top recommendation being the Custom Custom.

For the Neck, the '59 is a bit more clear and bright, where the AlNiCo II Pro has more bass response and sounds a bit more full. The Pearly Gates is somewhere in the middle of the two. With them Overdriven, it's pretty much the same story. the AlNiCo II Pro is warmer with more bass, the '59 is brighter and more clear, and the Pearly Gates is somewhere in the middle.

Personally, I have the Pearly Gates in the Bridge of my Les Paul and the AlNiCo II Pro in the Neck. You could look at this combo as well. The Pearly Gates is a little higher output than most "vintage" humbuckers, but it's not in the range of High Output. It's really bright and clear, and the AlNiCo II Pro is nice and warm and bassy. There really isn't anything I can't do with this combo, but it's not for everyone. Just listen to those sound clips about 500 times each and eventually your ears will start to prefer one over the others.

When it comes to pickups vs amps, you really should upgrade your amp first. There is still a noticeable difference in tone and quality when you upgrade your pickups first, but upgrading your amp has a much larger effect on your sound. I was in your exact position...i had an MG30DFX and a stock Epiphone Les Paul Standard and decided to upgrade my pickups first and regretted it. With $500, you could get a nice tube amp that will improve your tone by leaps and bounds compared to upgrading your pickups.

Thanks
I have a G-400 worn wich is the same as the G-400 available in satin red or satin brown, for about $50 less. I put a Duncan SH-4 JB in it and it rocks now. So the guitar cost $299 and the Duncan cost $72.95, you still have enough to buy a hard case, wich I suggest you get no mater the price of an instument.
P.S. The satin finish is very nice to play
Quote by Robbgnarly
I have a G-400 worn wich is the same as the G-400 available in satin red or satin brown, for about $50 less. I put a Duncan SH-4 JB in it and it rocks now. So the guitar cost $299 and the Duncan cost $72.95, you still have enough to buy a hard case, wich I suggest you get no mater the price of an instument.
P.S. The satin finish is very nice to play

He already has the guitar...he's just asking about pickups for in it.